• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Hamish Marshall

psxpro

Banned
If he was so crap like some of you are saying how does he have such a good odi record and scored 146 vs aus?

psxpro

Banned
username1234 said:
Yeah he will be a good batsman as soon as he learns not to throw his wicket away.
He doesn't throw his wicket away, throwing wickets away is playing like sinclair does vs aus and leaving the ball.

Hamish Marshall is a big match performer, which is why his odi record is so much better compared to first class.

anzac

International Debutant
Marshall's style of play is that of a 'nudger' in that he likes the ball coming onto him at reasonable height and then plays it as late as possible using the pace of the ball...........hence a somewhat back foot technique..............

he will struggle IMO on pitches that offer more seam with less bounce, and also on low turning wickets, as IMO playing as late as he does when there is no bounce is asking for trouble..........

but it all comes back to having a balance of types of batsmen in the team, and possibly a semi horses for cources squad selection being able to reflect the players better suited to the types of pitches to be played upon during a series..............much as we supposedly do for bowlers (extra spinner, slow mediums to take the pace off the ball in ODIs...etc)........and we used to select for Tours to sub continent or AUS/RSA/WIN........

admittedly he's had spectacular starts with both ihs ODI & Test careers - with tons coming in the first 3 matches in each, but the same can be said for the likes of Sinclair, Styris & Vincent regarding their starts at Test level, & only 1 of those can be called an ongoing team member since his debut.............and even then his recent form has been patchy over the last season.......

the thing about his batting that I'm most impressed about is his ability to build partnerships.........IMO the middle order in both forms of the game works better with him at the crease because of this, and the likes of Astle & Styris also do better so far as their own innings are concerned...............

and that IMO is the sort of player that the NZL batting lineups have been lacking most of all.........wether H Marshall turns out to be a man for all seasons remains to be seen - but we need at least 1 partnership builder opton such as him or Martyn, Katich, S Waugh etc.........and I'd like to have a 2nd such option in a 6-4 split - 1 at the top of the order (1-4), and 1 lower at #6 to 'guide' the lower order of Oram, McCullum & Vettori.............

Last edited:

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Im not actually sure why you're prepared to defend the players who have been doing absoutely nothing for us recently Thierry, but you're then knocking back Vettori & Marshall who are probably the only 2 players holding us together so far in the ODI & test series against Australia.

Sir Redman

State Vice-Captain
Marshall definately prefers the back foot but hes not exclusively a back foot player - he can drive he ball quite nicely which he has shown during this tour

thierry henry

International Coach
Tim said:
Im not actually sure why you're prepared to defend the players who have been doing absoutely nothing for us recently Thierry, but you're then knocking back Vettori & Marshall who are probably the only 2 players holding us together so far in the ODI & test series against Australia.
I'm not quite sure why you keep on repeating this same post and have yet to even attempt to debate the issue. Don't even get me started on Vettori. I'm not really sure what part of my post about Marshall you took issue with, it seems fairly straight forward to me. Back foot player, struggles to play straight, noted struggler on wickets that do a bit.

psxpro

Banned
Theirry you can talk about all the techniques you want but Marshall is scoring runs against the best.
He is doing all you could ask of him.
Top prospect.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Yes, I don't think th has said otherwise, just that if certain things were to happen he can see Marshall doing less well.
And I see what he means.

psxpro

Banned
sure, but that was said about in odi's too, but he averages close to 40 there with a strike rate of around 75 which is very good. hes been key to us winning a lot of odi's.
and hes averaged over 40 against the best despite struggling vs warne.