• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Farewell Mr. Jacobs

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
aussie

Mr Mxyzptlk said:
Well, he's made it clear he does not want to play for the West Indies team as it currently is, and the selectors didn't do him the honour of picking him anyway. Ridley Jacobs has very likely played his last First Class match.

His final First Class innings goes down as one of his best. 140 against the Jamaican bowling attack, to lead his team to a lead of 250 after facing a 192-run first innings deficit. The knock was authoritative and oozing the clutch class that Jacobs has shown over the years. Was there ever going to be any other way for him to go? I think not.

His final season featured him at the top of his game, scoring 4 centuries and a total of 816 runs at 62.76 per innings. That goes with 3 half-centuries and 25 dismissals, all whilst batting at number 7.

Good show Mr. Jacobs and top career. You shall be missed.
yes very good lad, good gutsy determined keeper, now that he is gone that will leave a bit of a whole in the west indies team

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
None left-handed that I can think of.
Of wicket-keepers there are a few though.

Denesh Ramdin is a superb wicketkeeper and a very talented right-handed batsman. Just 19 years of age too. Lots of cricket ahead of him. A maiden FC hundred and two half-centuries this season.

Carlton Baugh jr. is an improving wicketkeeper, but still not Test class IMO (about Jones class atm :p). He's a very promising batsman but he needs to learn to temper his aggression at times. Still, he has tremedous timing and brilliant offside play. He crosses 50 less than 4 innings apart in FC cricket and has 7 hundreds in 67 innings. 22 years old.

Patrick Browne played pretty solidly for Barbados in the absence of Courtney Browne this season. In fact, he was so solid that he kept his 'keeping spot for a game or two even after Courtney returned. Not the most accomplished statistically overall, but 23 years of age and with a definite future.

Those are the players who immediately come to mind. I tip Courtney Browne to handle the catching/stumping for now, but I can easily see Ramdin picking it up in a few years. Carlton Baugh is always going to be in contention though, with his batting skills.
Ah, a shame - a right-handed-batsman wicketkeeper is an inevitability then. :(