• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Happy days for SJS

GermanShepherd

School Boy/Girl Captain
SJS must be over the moon. First India beat pakistan and now
Punjab (with an average age of 24) have shocked defending champions Mumbai at the ****hede to enter the
Ranji trophy final; that too after conceding a 120 odd lead on the first innings.

Who has seen Punjab play ? Any India prospects in there ?

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
GermanShepherd said:
SJS must be over the moon. First India beat pakistan and now
Punjab (with an average age of 24) have shocked defending champions Mumbai at the ****hede to enter the
Ranji trophy final; that too after conceding a 120 odd lead on the first innings.

Who has seen Punjab play ? Any India prospects in there ?
Haha. Thanks. Though I am not a Punjab supporter. I was born and brought up and played all my cricket in Delhi so my cricketing loyalties are with Delhi. Punjab yes because it is North. But it doesnt matter really.

Punjab will play Railways who have Sanjay Bangar and Murali Kaarthik from the known names. They have a batsman called Amit Pagnis who is supposed to be very good but I havent seen him.

Railways might beat Punjab. They are a very competitive side though without any glamorous names !

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
Grrr......I can't even mention the name of the stadium in my own city! Hopefully matches will be played in Brabourne....at least we can mention it. The old 'Heyday.
SJS said:
Haha. Thanks. Though I am not a Punjab supporter. I was born and brought up and played all my cricket in Delhi so my cricketing loyalties are with Delhi. Punjab yes because it is North. But it doesnt matter really.

Punjab will play Railways who have Sanjay Bangar and Murali Kaarthik from the known names. They have a batsman called Amit Pagnis who is supposed to be very good but I havent seen him.

Railways might beat Punjab. They are a very competitive side though without any glamorous names !
IF they have Sanjay Bangar, it's not much. Bowls at just about medium-pace (and doesn't take it seriously, either, though he's a better bowler than a batsman), bats out too many dot-balls (no real technique) and excess baggage on the field. Interestingly, he averaged 36 with the bat and 26 with the ball, in 3 Duleep matches.

Murali Karthik? Maybe. He doesn't need numerology to improve his performance, but just relies on his own bowling. He bowls too quickly, which is why he can go for more than a few runs, and can be one-paced. His batting is decent (he was initially a batsman) but hasn't done much outside Ranji. He's slow on the field, more or less a problem with the whole side.

The key player is JP Yadav. He's been railroading battign sides reglarly. He averages under 20 in Ranji, under 10 in Duleep and has reinvented himself as a player- from a batting all-rounder to a strike bowler who can score runs. He's very aggressive with the bat, bowls steady medium-pace (really slow, keeper-stand-up pace but it works) and can take high catches. He can definitely turn a match on its head in favour of Railways. Much better than Sanjay Bangar.

Pagnis is a run-of-the-mill opener who once played for Mumbai and India-A. He is quite steady and can play the anchor role quite well, particularly when JP Yadav is batting- then he needs to.

Punjab are a very competitive side themselves and have a lot of power in their side. They have the dangerous Yuvraj Singh in their ranks, along with the steady Dinesh Mongia and Pankaj Dharmani. Opener Ravneet Ricky has been performing consistently, but Sodhi has been miscast as an opener and has struggled throughout the series, averageing 22, which shoots up to over 60 if you count a massive 251 not out. That said, he's also done well with the ball. Seamer Gagandeep Singh bowls the in-cutters and out-cutters to good effect and has nearly 7 wickets a match this season.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Arjun said:
Grrr......I can't even mention the name of the stadium in my own city! Hopefully matches will be played in Brabourne....at least we can mention it. The old 'Heyday.IF they have Sanjay Bangar, it's not much. Bowls at just about medium-pace (and doesn't take it seriously, either, though he's a better bowler than a batsman), bats out too many dot-balls (no real technique) and excess baggage on the field. Interestingly, he averaged 36 with the bat and 26 with the ball, in 3 Duleep matches.

Murali Karthik? Maybe. He doesn't need numerology to improve his performance, but just relies on his own bowling. He bowls too quickly, which is why he can go for more than a few runs, and can be one-paced. His batting is decent (he was initially a batsman) but hasn't done much outside Ranji. He's slow on the field, more or less a problem with the whole side.

The key player is JP Yadav. He's been railroading battign sides reglarly. He averages under 20 in Ranji, under 10 in Duleep and has reinvented himself as a player- from a batting all-rounder to a strike bowler who can score runs. He's very aggressive with the bat, bowls steady medium-pace (really slow, keeper-stand-up pace but it works) and can take high catches. He can definitely turn a match on its head in favour of Railways. Much better than Sanjay Bangar.

Pagnis is a run-of-the-mill opener who once played for Mumbai and India-A. He is quite steady and can play the anchor role quite well, particularly when JP Yadav is batting- then he needs to.

Punjab are a very competitive side themselves and have a lot of power in their side. They have the dangerous Yuvraj Singh in their ranks, along with the steady Dinesh Mongia and Pankaj Dharmani. Opener Ravneet Ricky has been performing consistently, but Sodhi has been miscast as an opener and has struggled throughout the series, averageing 22, which shoots up to over 60 if you count a massive 251 not out. That said, he's also done well with the ball. Seamer Gagandeep Singh bowls the in-cutters and out-cutters to good effect and has nearly 7 wickets a match this season.
:)

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
SJS said:
Would you like to take charge of the DDCA? You can definitely do a better job than those incompetents in office. Rosha-no-area-for-non-members, money spent on sale of luxuries, selection of the Delhi side being a family business,....

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Arjun said:
Would you like to take charge of the DDCA? You can definitely do a better job than those incompetents in office. Rosha-no-area-for-non-members, money spent on sale of luxuries, selection of the Delhi side being a family business,....
I am a member of the DDCA.
Yes I know I can do a better job. Anyone can do a better job than those jokers but no one is going to offer it to me :)

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Punjab are a good side. Their Pakistani coach seems to be doing wonders. Who knows, he might even challenge Woolmer :-O

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
SJS said:
I am a member of the DDCA.
Yes I know I can do a better job. Anyone can do a better job than those jokers but no one is going to offer it to me :)
Did you watch Sonali Chander and a full studio audience take DDCA Chairman Sunill Dev to the cleaners on NDTV24x7's Cricket Controversies? Sidhu found it very entertaining.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Arjun said:
Did you watch Sonali Chander and a full studio audience take DDCA Chairman Sunill Dev to the cleaners on NDTV24x7's Cricket Controversies? Sidhu found it very entertaining.
I cant stand Siddhu so I never watch his programmes. Its sad really because he is very knowledgeable about the game but he is very very irritating.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
SJS said:
I cant stand Siddhu so I never watch his programmes. Its sad really because he is very knowledgeable about the game but he is very very irritating.
He can be quite entertaining, except when he starts making bold statements, when he becomes intolerable.

That said, Sidhu didn't say much in that segment of the programme- Sunil Dev had a lot to answer.

biased indian

International Coach
honestbharani said:
Punjab are a good side. Their Pakistani coach seems to be doing wonders. Who knows, he might even challenge Woolmer :-O
he was their coach before ya he might come back if pakistan dont win many series and punjab play well under alam

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
honestbharani said:
Pakistan's best bet is very much to have someone in charge who is not Pakistani.