Cricket Betting Site Betway
Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: And here we go again....

Eyes not spreadsheets marc71178's Avatar
    Oh dear...

Not what was needed!
    marc71178 - President and founding member of AAAS - we don't only appreciate when he does well, but also when he's not quite so good!

Anyone want to join the Society?

Beware the evils of Kit-Kats - they're immoral apparently.

Quote Originally Posted by marc71178
    Oh dear...

Not what was needed!
    Must be fairly recent news as I couldn't find it anywhere on here either.

Chris Broad again involved - I guess we wait for the predictable response from the more fanatical Indian fans.

International Vice-Captain Slats4ever's Avatar
    it was needed if there's reason to believe he's cheating
    WCC - Manager of Warwickshire

wasn't he just reported and cleared??

Quote Originally Posted by Josh
    wasn't he just reported and cleared??
    It appears so.

Quote Originally Posted by Cricinfo
    He was cleared earlier this month after being reported, again by Broad, for bowling his doosra, during the second Test against Bangladesh at Chittagong in December, when he underwent work with Bruce Elliot, the Australian bio-mechanics expert.

Hall of Fame Member FaaipDeOiad's Avatar
    I believe the slate was wiped clean with the official change in the rules and measurement - meaning that he can be reported again immediately.

SJS
    Virus 2 Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by FaaipDeOiad
    I believe the slate was wiped clean with the official change in the rules and measurement - meaning that he can be reported again immediately.
    Yes. and if he is reported again, he could be suspended for up to a year.

No wonder he was not looking his usual chirpy self.

Eyes not spreadsheets marc71178's Avatar
    It sounds like it wasn't the 1st innings that was a problem though.

SJS
    Virus 2 Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by marc71178
    It sounds like it wasn't the 1st innings that was a problem though.
    Difficult to say.

I was wondering why he wasnt bowling his Doosra at all. Then in the second innings he bowled a few but they didnt turn that much. Maybe he was trying his best to keep the action within limits.

This is what the Sunil Gavaskar led technical team has led this problem into.

I was reading Ranjitsinhji's The Jubilee Book of Cricket the other day and he talks so logically about the problem of throwing and how it should be handled. I dont know why it has to be made so complicated.

One of Gavaskars less celeberated contributions to the game, I am afraid.

How about we just pretent the doosra was never invented??

C_C
    Quote Originally Posted by Josh
    How about we just pretent the doosra was never invented??

Fine.
    we should also pretend that the outswinger, flipper and pull shot were never invented either.

PS: SJS- i for one, think that Gavaskar-led technical committee have dispelled a LOT of myths and stupidity about bowling......Times change and scrutiny and limits are merely a function of technology. Ranji's times were different than today's.

Quote Originally Posted by C_C
    Fine.
    we should also pretend that the outswinger, flipper and pull shot were never invented either.

PS: SJS- i for one, think that Gavaskar-led technical committee have dispelled a LOT of myths and stupidity about bowling......Times change and scrutiny and limits are merely a function of technology. Ranji's times were different than today's.
    i think Josh's remark was slightly tongue-in-cheek.

Interesting hearing a guy talk about a bowler in Melbourne district cricket who has had a fairly successful year bowling off-spin, with a somewhat suspect action. He harbours hopes of playing for Victoria, and someone said to him "What if they put you on the video thingy and find if you chuck?". The guy said "Just bowl it slower mate, just bowl it slower and it'll come out fine". Hopefully thats not the general consensus over all of this video stuff.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend honestbharani's Avatar
    yeah, but why is Chris Broad the only one doing this? I am sorry, but it is suspicious. He did it to Murali and now this...... But yes, if there is doubt about his action, it is better to get it straightened out. But, this is pushing the limits of tolerance of a lot of temperamental Indian fans.
    We miss you, Fardin. :(. RIP.
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    In the end, I think it's so utterly, incomprehensibly boring. There is so much context behind each innings of cricket that dissecting statistics into these small samples is just worthless. No-one has ever been faced with the same situation in which they come out to bat as someone else. Ever.
    A cricket supporter forever

Member of CW Red and AAAS - Appreciating only the best.

Check out this awesome e-fed:

PWE Efed

Request Your Custom Title Now! Top_Cat's Avatar
    Agreed completely. With a greater level of measurement precision comes a greater level of scrutiny of bowlers. Until the electron microscope was invented, we never knew what a mitochondrian or cell nucleus was. Do we pretend that it never happened because it made life and science that much more complicated? Of course not.

The greater scrutiny afford on bowlers at international level will save the game in the long run because I don't want to think about the legal challenges which would have happened had bowlers been 'unfairly' (in their opinion) booted from the game because they 'chucked'.

One can't disinvent or ignore knowledge once it's been found like some many 'purists' would have us believe. We need to accept, confront and deal with what we're seeing in bowling techniques with new technology now and make it (as the ICC has done, in my view) so that the laws are almost beyond challenge because previously, they were vulnerable and had the ICC continued, I'm CERTAIN Murali's legal team would have done exactly that (and rightly so).

Wake up people. You can't have amateur 'fair-play' rules in a professional environment. They WILL be legally challenged becuse there are livelihoods at stake here.

Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread Information