• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

And here we go again....

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
marc71178 said:
Oh dear...

Not what was needed!
Must be fairly recent news as I couldn't find it anywhere on here either.

Chris Broad again involved - I guess we wait for the predictable response from the more fanatical Indian fans.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
Josh said:
wasn't he just reported and cleared??
It appears so.

Cricinfo said:
He was cleared earlier this month after being reported, again by Broad, for bowling his doosra, during the second Test against Bangladesh at Chittagong in December, when he underwent work with Bruce Elliot, the Australian bio-mechanics expert.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
I believe the slate was wiped clean with the official change in the rules and measurement - meaning that he can be reported again immediately.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
FaaipDeOiad said:
I believe the slate was wiped clean with the official change in the rules and measurement - meaning that he can be reported again immediately.
Yes. and if he is reported again, he could be suspended for up to a year.

No wonder he was not looking his usual chirpy self.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
marc71178 said:
It sounds like it wasn't the 1st innings that was a problem though.
Difficult to say.

I was wondering why he wasnt bowling his Doosra at all. Then in the second innings he bowled a few but they didnt turn that much. Maybe he was trying his best to keep the action within limits.

This is what the Sunil Gavaskar led technical team has led this problem into.

I was reading Ranjitsinhji's The Jubilee Book of Cricket the other day and he talks so logically about the problem of throwing and how it should be handled. I dont know why it has to be made so complicated.

One of Gavaskars less celeberated contributions to the game, I am afraid.

C_C

International Captain
Josh said:
How about we just pretent the doosra was never invented??

Fine.
we should also pretend that the outswinger, flipper and pull shot were never invented either.
:wacko:

PS: SJS- i for one, think that Gavaskar-led technical committee have dispelled a LOT of myths and stupidity about bowling......Times change and scrutiny and limits are merely a function of technology. Ranji's times were different than today's.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
C_C said:
Fine.
we should also pretend that the outswinger, flipper and pull shot were never invented either.

PS: SJS- i for one, think that Gavaskar-led technical committee have dispelled a LOT of myths and stupidity about bowling......Times change and scrutiny and limits are merely a function of technology. Ranji's times were different than today's.
i think Josh's remark was slightly tongue-in-cheek.

Interesting hearing a guy talk about a bowler in Melbourne district cricket who has had a fairly successful year bowling off-spin, with a somewhat suspect action. He harbours hopes of playing for Victoria, and someone said to him "What if they put you on the video thingy and find if you chuck?". The guy said "Just bowl it slower mate, just bowl it slower and it'll come out fine". Hopefully thats not the general consensus over all of this video stuff.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
yeah, but why is Chris Broad the only one doing this? I am sorry, but it is suspicious. He did it to Murali and now this...... But yes, if there is doubt about his action, it is better to get it straightened out. But, this is pushing the limits of tolerance of a lot of temperamental Indian fans.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Agreed completely. With a greater level of measurement precision comes a greater level of scrutiny of bowlers. Until the electron microscope was invented, we never knew what a mitochondrian or cell nucleus was. Do we pretend that it never happened because it made life and science that much more complicated? Of course not.

The greater scrutiny afford on bowlers at international level will save the game in the long run because I don't want to think about the legal challenges which would have happened had bowlers been 'unfairly' (in their opinion) booted from the game because they 'chucked'.

One can't disinvent or ignore knowledge once it's been found like some many 'purists' would have us believe. We need to accept, confront and deal with what we're seeing in bowling techniques with new technology now and make it (as the ICC has done, in my view) so that the laws are almost beyond challenge because previously, they were vulnerable and had the ICC continued, I'm CERTAIN Murali's legal team would have done exactly that (and rightly so).

Wake up people. You can't have amateur 'fair-play' rules in a professional environment. They WILL be legally challenged becuse there are livelihoods at stake here.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Wow, this really sucks. I'm confused about this whole situation, and its definitely not good for Indian cricket.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
C_C said:
Fine.
Why, are all those yet to be delivered by an obviously legal action?

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
honestbharani said:
yeah, but why is Chris Broad the only one doing this? I am sorry, but it is suspicious. He did it to Murali and now this......
Could that be because he was the one selected for the particular series, nothing more and nothing less than that?

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
C_C said:
Fine.

Hi C_C,

I normally dont adress you posts. Not because of any fear of losing an argument I assure you :)

Anyway I am replying to this since you have worded it more moderately than usual.

Yes its true Gavaskar committee has shown somethings that were not known. Actually that was not done by the Gavaskar committee. It was done by those technicians with all those fancy gadgets. No, I dont have any issue with that. My problem is with what oit has achieved. I have written extensively on this before and dont want to repeat myself accept to say that any law which can not be enforced on the field of play is not worth the piece of paper it is written upon. This 15 degree mumbo-jumbo falls in that category.

As far as Ranji is concerned, I suggest you read the book I quote before telling me about the difference between his time and ours. i know a little bit about cricket and its history and evolution myself and wouldnt have suggested what I did if I did not think it was relevant.

If you cant lay your hands on it and if you are really keen to know, I can post it here.

Regards.