• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

And here we go again....

Slow Love™

International Captain
C_C said:
On an unrelated topic, i do notice that there is a direct correleation between age and resistance to change...as in the older a person is, the more deaf he/she is to reasoning and more inclined towards the traditions and norms of their era.....wonder what is the psychological explanation to that. :D
Unfair, IMO to address this to SJS - as far as I can tell, he's certainly somebody (and there aren't many out there) capable of changing his mind. And, as far as I remember, he's pretty much in favor of increasing the use of technology to assist umpiring - as am I.

Slow Love™

International Captain
Well, here's my two cents on the two issues raised in this thread.

On the new chucking procedures:

They have their flaws - with the exception of the new, more viable tolerance limits, which I think are a good thing. The problems with after-game and lab testing are well documented. Would I go back to the days when these calls were up to the on-field umpire's discretion? No, I would not. I believe that what gets lost in these discussions is an interest in empirical data and reality, and the only empirical group study that we know of at this stage suggested that the vast majority of international bowlers were transgressing existing straightening limits.

IMO, a desire to return this issue to the umpire on the field necessitates a pragmatic decision of expediency over reality that I'm not comfortable with. I'm very against careers being ruined when empirical reality may suggest that those being penalized may be transgressing equally or less than other bowlers not paid attention on this basis - or even, not transgressing at all within reasonable parameters (and these reasonable parameters must exist, or it's likely that the vast majority of international bowlers will have to be considered chuckers). I think much of the desire for a return to the old ways is a desire for certainty over truth. For an issue that seems to carry so much stigma, I'd rather go with truth.

So, as far as I'm concerned, both are highly imperfect solutions, and I can understand people's concerns regarding what happens immediately in a match situation. But what we currently IMO is a step in the right direction, and does offer the possibility of us learning more about the issue and adjusting our perceptions accordingly - and when real-time testing in match conditions is available, I believe we'll at last have a workable, reality-based fair solution, superior to all measures that have been in use up to this point (including no-ball calls by field umpires). Hopefully once this occurs, it will remove the objections (well, the rational ones, anyway) to the way this issue is handled, and we can then move on to other issues.

On technology and umpiring:

I still believe that accuracy (with the exception of a predictive technology like Hawkeye) is clearly not a rational basis for objection to slo-mo, replays, and even snickometer (which, while not perfect, still offers better tools for decision-making in general) being incorporated into the game. Time constraints may be a reasonable objection, which, along with Hawkeye's dubious reliability, is why I don't believe that LBW appeals can be decided by technology at this point. Although I'd love to see some mechanism by which umpires can clearly see the line of the stumps from wicket to wicket.

But, given that we all (and the ICC also, in their evaluation of umpires) use these technologies to guage a decision's merit (be it good or bad), I think we can all forfeit the accuracy argument as far as the measures I name above are concerned. Another oft-mentioned innovation that I would unequivically support would be the turning over of front-foot noball calls to the third umpire, as this offers obvious benefits - one in particular being the ability of the field umpire to better concentrate on what has happened once the ball has left the bowler's hand, rather than having to intensely concentrate on the crease and then re-adjust focus down the wicket.

Last edited:

biased indian

International Coach
SJS said:
Scenario : Suppose Harbhajan had not bowled any doosras but had thrown some of his off spinners in the last test.The umpire feels these balls appeared to be having more than 15 % flex but he isnt sure. What happens in this case with the present rule ?

Situation : Since it is a delivery which, unlike the Doosra, doesnt HAVE to be thrown, the bowler does not throw in the lab test and thus the flex appears under 15 degrees.

PROBLEM :How to prove that Harbhajan bowled illegal deliveries in the match ?
SJS since u have taken a lot of pain into this i would like to answe thw following scenario

scenario : i have an indian match refree a pakistani umpire and a english umpire and they decide(i am not saying this is what happend in bhajis case) to report Macgrath(or any other bowler ) for chucking pls replace Macgrath with harbhajan in u r questions and how will u prove that he doesnot chuck.

i think the only way is to use the available technology and live with it. :huh:

Last edited:

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
biased indian said:
SJS since u have taken a lot of pain into this i would like to answe thw following scenario

scenario : i have an indian match refree a pakistani umpire and a english umpire and they decide(i am not saying this is what happend in bhajis case) to report Macgrath(or any other bowler ) for chucking pls replace Macgrath with harbhajan in u r questions and how will u prove that he doesnot chuck.

i think the only way is to use the available technology and live with it. :huh:
You must be joking.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I liked what Shastri was saying about what Broad did. What about the other match referees? It is not as if they don't have eyes.