• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Pakistan : Pros and Cons

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Pakistan Pros and Cons

Batting : This is not the biggest problem

1. Opening is a problem. Salman Butt and Hameed look better than others though I would try Asim Kamal there. But its the biggest problem of their batting line up if not the only one. I think Afridi would be sorely tested by a really fast bowler bowling into his ribs. Not a great thought. If it happens to someone with his mental make up and he is made to look bad, it may actually do grave harm to the psyche of this exciting cricketer.
2. Middle order is pretty good actually. I dont think Younis is correct at number three. The right man is Inzemam himself. Inzy, Yohanna, Younis, Asim Kamal and Akmal are a very very good lineup. In fact , add two openers to this lot and you have seven and Razzaq isnt included yet. surely an embarassment of riches. Clearly they need to sort out who occupies the top three spots and batting should not be the major worry in the years to come.

Bowling : This is the weakest bowling side from Pakistan ever. Shoaib would have made a difference but it would still be called a weak attack.

1. As someone said in the commentary box, we never thought we would live to see the day when Indian bowlers would move the ball more than Pakistanis in the air. It is really sad to see the land from where the best swing bowlers of both the new and old ball came, we now have bowlers just trying to scare batsmen with speed, not realising that batsmen who are competent players off the backfoot as Sehwag, Dravid and Sachin are will never be bothered by speed not accompanied by movement. It is clear that even at this age waqar and Wasim will make this Pakistani side STRONGER if they were to return for the next series. Surely this is a terrible comment on the present crop of new ball bowlers. This obsession with pace in Pakistan amongst both the players and fans is atypical 'punjabi' macho attitude which is devoid of any thinking whatsoever. But thats what we Punjabis are known for arent we :)

2. Four years ago Razzaq and Azhar Mehmood were swinging the ball in the air and Sami bowled a mean in swinger. What happened? irrespective of what the Pakistani fans think, Gul would have made things much more difficult for India than sami and company have been able to do.

3. Its atrocious the way sami keepe bowling no balls and the skipper NEVER admonishes him for that. It would be hilarious, if it was not so pathetic, to see sami come and give a stare to the spot where he transgressed the rule every time he was no balled, as if somehow it was the fault of the umpire or the wicket or something !!

Anyone who has played any decent cricket knows that no balls like this are bowled by bowlers who bowl no balls regularly in the nets under captains and coaches who dont seem to come down strongly enough there and then. I consider bowling of no balls, the way sami does an act of gross indiscipline.

Kapil was once dropped by Gavaskar for playing an indecrete shot in a test match, i dont see how sami can escape similar punishment.

4. Kaneria is very good but in this test he was not sure what he wanted to do. Get wickets or bowl negatively outside the legstump. He is no Shane Warne to try this outside the legstump stuff. It rendered him impotent. Both he and his captain need to revisit their strategy.

5. Another spinner will do Pakistan a lot of good. One doesnt know how good the off spinner is, but why not ?

Fielding :- Barring the wicketkeeper, this is a terrible side in the field.

There is no area where they do not need to work, catching , throwing, covering for overthrows...everthing. It is surprising that someone who coached the brilliant fielding side that was South africa is the coach of this side. India arent great but they dont look so bad in front of their opponents.

Captaincy :-Inzemam is no great leader but if not him then who ?

Its not apparent to an indian like me as to who, in this Pakistan side, can replace Inzy but I think Pakistan need a bit more ALIVE skipper !. The vice captain is an unknown quantity to us. This is clearly a difficult bunch to handle but I would say, if they keep a prima donna coach like Javed Miandad away from this team, maybe the youngsters will rally around a new more agressive captain than Inzemam. But who ??

Asim Kamal ??

I am really impressed with this guy and to me it looks like he is, as we say in hindi, lambi race ka ghoda (a horse for the big long race). He looks like he could handle any situation. He has a great unflappable temprament. Surely a captain sometimes in the future !!

howardj

International Coach
SJS said:
Pakistan Pros and Cons

1. Opening is a problem. Salman Butt and Hameed look better than others though I would try Asim Kamal there. But its the biggest problem of their batting line up if not the only one.
Mate, I agree with you totally- Butt and Hameed look way better than the others. Pakistan should persevere with these two guys at the top of the order. In a few years, these two guys will be a world class combination.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
Shahid Afridi for captain? He's fairly lively.
Yes but how is he ever going to get some one to buckle down and play out time :)

Seriously, he plays too irresponsibly to get the captaincy. If stops trying to be the "pathan" all the time and show the opposition the stuff he is made of, he might do much better than he has done so far. His type of agression is as selfish as those who play seven hours just to ensure they get a hundred.

He should have watched Razzaq'a innings in the last test (Pakistan's second innings) and learnt how even a naturally aggressive player can and should curb his instincts and play for the side. Razzaq could never have achieved for Pakistan what Razzaq did in the company of lower order batsmen.

Just looking at this one quality, Razzaq is a better leader that Afridi will ever be.

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Very good post SJS. I agree with pretty much all of it. I haven't seen much of Asim Kamal but his stats are very impressive.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Perhaps the captaincy will make Shahid Afridi realize his enormous talent and turn him into the next Michael Clarke. ;)

Isolator

State 12th Man
...what do you think of Hasan Raza? I always liked that guy, and his performance against Oz in that amusing series a while ago was quite impressive.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Isolator said:
...what do you think of Hasan Raza? I always liked that guy, and his performance against Oz in that amusing series a while ago was quite impressive.
I havent seen enough of him to comment. But frankly, I have always, felt the Pakistani youngsters seem to be all made in the same mould. They all love to go onto the front foot and play flourishing cover drives. this is clearly a lot brought up on extremely good batting wickets where the ball can be driven on the rise and the movement in the air and off the wicket is minimal.

Maybe the ball doesnt come up enough so playing back to balls pitche on or near the stumps is not an attractive option.

None of them appears to have a good backfoot defense. They go back only when width is offered outside the off stump, to cut.

Only Yohanna, Inzy and Asim Kamal and to some extent Younis play back in defense or play forcing straight bat drives off the backfoot after grtting right behind the ball.

I think the earlier generation of Pakistani batsmen played in England and honed their techniques in much more demanding conditions. the Pakistanis who now play in the counties are either pure bowlers or bowlers who can bat. To me it looks like Pakistan's domestic game is not of the leve to produce high quality batsmen for the longer version on the game under trying conditions.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
imranrabb said:
This is not the weakest pakistan bowling attack ever,remember we are missing shabbir,gul,shoiab and saqlain.
I did not know that they were playing in this series. If they were I missed them somehow :sleep:

SpeedKing

U19 Vice-Captain
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
Perhaps the captaincy will make Shahid Afridi realize his enormous talent and turn him into the next Michael Clarke. ;)
beat me to it. it just might make him a tad more responsible which will make him a more than decent no.8 {or even higher} batsman.

SpeedKing

U19 Vice-Captain
They have got such talent for the opening slots Salman Butt, tafeeq Umar, yasir Hameed and Imran Farhat. I believe that the only problem they have got is having too much talent. All these four have amazing potential and the selectors don't know who to drop and who to persist with. Even i struggle finding the best combination. maybe Hameed and Taffeq Umar, or farhat and hameed , or maybe Butt and Farhat....

chekmeout

U19 Debutant
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
Shahid Afridi for captain? He's fairly lively.
I have never thought too much about Afridi but yesterday I was really impressed with him..
After Pathan bowled a bouncer which hit Afridi on his shoulder.. .That would have hurt like hell.. Afridi just gave Pathan a glare and hooked him for a six the next ball....

In the country where I live, I doubt if we have a single bowler who can bowl 130kph.. during the Champions Trophy vs. Kenya Afridi bowled 3-4 balls at 129 kph!! From a leg-spinners run-up... Amazing stuff

How much strength does this dude have?

deeps

International 12th Man
chekmeout said:
I have never thought too much about Afridi but yesterday I was really impressed with him..
After Pathan bowled a bouncer which hit Afridi on his shoulder.. .That would have hurt like hell.. Afridi just gave Pathan a glare and hooked him for a six the next ball....

In the country where I live, I doubt if we have a single bowler who can bowl 130kph.. during the Champions Trophy vs. Kenya Afridi bowled 3-4 balls at 129 kph!! From a leg-spinners run-up... Amazing stuff

How much strength does this dude have?
afridi was made captain of the pakistanA side a few years ago, must mean they see something in him.

But honestly, younis khan will do a fine job.He was captain when inzy went off the ground and younis was very active and set attacking positive fields. i was impressed

Mecnun

U19 Debutant
Taufeeq, Farhat and Yasir are not international standard IMO. They all show technical defficiencies, play away from the body and have serious problems addressing a moving ball, and they do not look like learning.. Yasir is probably a better striker of the ball out of these three and possibly deserves a chance but the other two should not be allowed on the cricket pitch ..naa scrtach that I just remembered his 50 in aus where he was given 4 lives and still only managed a paltry 50. We need someone else to partner Butt, possibly Afridi but that is also a stop gap measure. To be honest we have not had a decent opening partnership since Amir & Anwar.

Agree with the rest..

TendulkarFan

School Boy/Girl Captain
Of the four openers mentioned, Butt looks like the only one who might be worth persisting with. He has shown no glaring deficiencies and has excellent temperament to go with it - as displayed in last year's India-Pak match at Eden Gardens.

Taufeeq has looked extremely uncomfortable - even after more than 2 hours at the crease, he looks edgy. Yasir has the habit of going for those flourishing drives, regardless of the conditions.

SJS, I completely agree that Asim Kamal has looked good. I was extremely impressed with him when he played that knock of 60 at Rawalpindi last year with an injured arm. He would have done any Pakistani fan proud with that kind of application while the rest of them were merrily jogging in and out of the park. He has been even more impressive this series - right up there with Inzy. As an Indian fan, these are the two batsmen I fear the most.

Choora

State Regular
SJS said:
Pakistan Pros and Cons

1. Opening is a problem. Salman Butt and Hameed look better than others though I would try Asim Kamal there. But its the biggest problem of their batting line up if not the only one. I think Afridi would be sorely tested by a really fast bowler bowling into his ribs. Not a great thought. If it happens to someone with his mental make up and he is made to look bad, it may actually do grave harm to the psyche of this exciting cricketer.
2. Middle order is pretty good actually. I dont think Younis is correct at number three. The right man is Inzemam himself. Inzy, Yohanna, Younis, Asim Kamal and Akmal are a very very good lineup. In fact , add two openers to this lot and you have seven and Razzaq isnt included yet. surely an embarassment of riches. Clearly they need to sort out who occupies the top three spots and batting should not be the major worry in the years to come.!
As i said earlier in another thread, Asim is not an opener would not like himself to open and shouldn't be made to open as the result would be disasterous for both himself and for his team.

With Inzi at fourth,Youhanna at 5th and Asim at 6th slot atleast the mid-order looks strong.This is certainly an improvement as this wasn't a case since last many years.

Openeing is still a problem and so is one-down slot. I think Pakistan should persist with Butt as an opener and should try the best domestic cricket batsman , Faisal Athar as his partener.Faisal is a right hander and siad to be a compact batsman.He didn't fare well in the only test he played but he should now be given another chance.(infact the guy is almost a certainty for a test team for the next tour of west indies).Another candidate would be Wajahatullah Wasti, a forgotten player who is doing well in Pak A team.

As far as one-down is concerned, i agree with you that Younis isn't suitable for that slot.Hameed was doing well at one-down slot, unfortunately he was asked to open for Pakistan in test matches and he lost his way. Either Hameed should be tried again or Hassan Raza should be recalled. Hassan Raza is a very compact batsman, his only problem was his attitude for which he was dropped from the side.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Choora said:
As i said earlier in another thread, Asim is not an opener would not like himself to open and shouldn't be made to open as the result would be disasterous for both himself and for his team.

With Inzi at fourth,Youhanna at 5th and Asim at 6th slot atleast the mid-order looks strong.This is certainly an improvement as this wasn't a case since last many years.

Openeing is still a problem and so is one-down slot. I think Pakistan should persist with Butt as an opener and should try the best domestic cricket batsman , Faisal Athar as his partener.Faisal is a right hander and siad to be a compact batsman.He didn't fare well in the only test he played but he should now be given another chance.(infact the guy is almost a certainty for a test team for the next tour of west indies).Another candidate would be Wajahatullah Wasti, a forgotten player who is doing well in Pak A team.

As far as one-down is concerned, i agree with you that Younis isn't suitable for that slot.Hameed was doing well at one-down slot, unfortunately he was asked to open for Pakistan in test matches and he lost his way. Either Hameed should be tried again or Hassan Raza should be recalled. Hassan Raza is a very compact batsman, his only problem was his attitude for which he was dropped from the side.
You may be right about other up coming youngsters in Pakistan. I havent seen them and never comment on players based on what I read.

Choora

State Regular
SJS said:
Pakistan Pros and Cons

Bowling : This is the weakest bowling side from Pakistan ever. Shoaib would have made a difference but it would still be called a weak attack.

1. As someone said in the commentary box, we never thought we would live to see the day when Indian bowlers would move the ball more than Pakistanis in the air. It is really sad to see the land from where the best swing bowlers of both the new and old ball came, we now have bowlers just trying to scare batsmen with speed, not realising that batsmen who are competent players off the backfoot as Sehwag, Dravid and Sachin are will never be bothered by speed not accompanied by movement. It is clear that even at this age waqar and Wasim will make this Pakistani side STRONGER if they were to return for the next series. Surely this is a terrible comment on the present crop of new ball bowlers. This obsession with pace in Pakistan amongst both the players and fans is atypical 'punjabi' macho attitude which is devoid of any thinking whatsoever. But thats what we Punjabis are known for arent we :)
!
But Sami isn't a punjabi!!!

I agree with you on their pace attack, i think its absolute crap.I don't see any real yong talent. Khalil is a sick joke, Sami is a proven idiot, often their best pacer appears to be Razzak which tells how grim the situation is.
Its unfortunate that the places of W's have been taken over by the likes of Rana's and Rao's. Clearly Pakistan have no talent in that pace department in contrast arch rival India is making rapid progress in that area!

Pakistan need to understand that Akhtar is vital for the team, Inzi's and Bob's personal dislike counts for nothing specially when the team is losing every second test match, as with each loss the chances of Inzi and Bob retaining their jobs is getting slimmer.On the other hand Akhtar also need to understand that he has to show a bit more maturity.

Shabbir should be back in Pak side soon, and i think for the third pacer they will be better off experimenting with a new guy (untill they find a suitable one) rather than persisting with Sami.

Captaincy :-Inzemam is no great leader but if not him then who ?

Its not apparent to an indian like me as to who, in this Pakistan side, can replace Inzy but I think Pakistan need a bit more ALIVE skipper !. The vice captain is an unknown quantity to us. This is clearly a difficult bunch to handle but I would say, if they keep a prima donna coach like Javed Miandad away from this team, maybe the youngsters will rally around a new more agressive captain than Inzemam. But who ??

Asim Kamal ??

I am really impressed with this guy and to me it looks like he is, as we say in hindi, lambi race ka ghoda (a horse for the big long race). He looks like he could handle any situation. He has a great unflappable temprament. Surely a captain sometimes in the future !!
All of a sudden you want Asim to open for Pakistan and skip the side too? Don't you think you are asking too much from him??

Frankly i'm myself not sure who should lead the side in future.Inzi is not a good captain, Younis Khan was always my man for the job and i still think he can do a good job as a captain but i'm not sure if he's an automatic selection in Pak test side, for if he isn't then he shouldn't be named the skipper.

Asim has just started his career, so it wouldn't be wise to even name him as the vice captain. I think they would just go with Inzi for another year or so.

I like Danish's aggression, maybe in some years he might get a chance to skip Pak side.