• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Pakistan : Pros and Cons

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Miandaad insults Pakistan !!

I am still worried about Pakistan's line-up. Yaseer Hameed must now be brought back. If a youngster is kept out for too long, he loses confidence. He has been with the squad but must now be played. I am also concerned about Pakistan's medium-pace attack.

Mohammad Sami is still not producing results and he continues to have no-ball problems. It happens when he tries to go for extra pace. As Laxmipathy Balaji showed so well in the match, you need to swing the deliveries rather than strive for extra pace for results.

Razzaq and Naved-ul Hasan Rana too have questions on their ability as Test bowlers. It wouldn't be too bad to bring on young left-arm pacer Mohammad Khalil for the next Test

PS And this after the honourable draw in the first test. Wonder what further insults he had in store after the second test defeat :sleep:

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Imran Khan insults Pakistan !!

Pakistan’s batsmen just don’t have good defensive technique, and once they did not give themselves a cushion in the first innings, there was no way they were going to save the game by batting out the last four sessions of the game.

...people should not expect miracles from the Pakistan team as our bowling lacked the firepower to bowl out the Indians twice.

“There is no match-winner in the Pakistan team like Anil Kumble. And if the Indians collapse in the first innings they are certain to stage a comeback in the second innings while Pakistan lack this quality. They never recover once they tremble.”

Really in bad taste. :sleep:

Gangster

U19 12th Man
SJS said:
Great !!

So let me tell you something. I was not insulting Pakistan, team, players, government people living or dead.

I dont think my post was in poor taste and my being an Indian has nothing to dpo with it. (I dont know if anyone thinks Imran's comments on Laxman the other day and Tendulkar in the past were in poor taste because Imran is a Pakistani). By your implications only Pakistanis should right about Pakistani weaknesses and so on. I am afraid I disagree. I write as a cricket lover and I love all cricketers irrespective of their nationality and enjoy their game and their success as long as the cricket is enjoyable .

If you are an Indian and feel my post was insulting to Pakistanis or offensive to their sentiments, I suggest you let them do that job and I will handle it appropriately, if and when it happens.

Thanks for your concern about the appropriateness or otherwise of my posts.
If you can write about other other teams' weaknesses, then I can certainly write about other people's feelings. Hey pal make sure to wear a helmet. It's a long way down from that high horse you're on. If this was the British Raj days, you'd be of the "nakis". Common translation I guess is house slave. Look down on us field slaves if you like buddy.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Gangster said:
If you can write about other other teams' weaknesses, then I can certainly write about other people's feelings. Hey pal make sure to wear a helmet. It's a long way down from that high horse you're on. If this was the British Raj days, you'd be of the "nakis". Common translation I guess is house slave. Look down on us field slaves if you like buddy.
Oh really. Since when does looking at a teams game and talking of their weaknesses (by the way you seem to have missed their strengths that I talked of) become the same as looking into people's hearts (through the net and a chat forum) and finding sbout their feelings !! Why dont you let them express it rather than you doing a miserable job on their behalf..

I do not know what you are talking off in the second half of your post. Not that it matters.

Good bye "field slave" :)

Gangster

U19 12th Man
SJS said:
Oh really. Since when does looking at a teams game and talking of their weaknesses (by the way you seem to have missed their strengths that I talked of) become the same as looking into people's hearts (through the net and a chat forum) and finding sbout their feelings !! Why dont you let them express it rather than you doing a miserable job on their behalf..

I do not know what you are talking off in the second half of your post. Not that it matters.

Good bye "field slave" :)
Maybe you should stick to Hindi, SJS bhai, lest you embarrass yourself further with your bad English.

Beleg

International Regular
I would also like other Pakistani's posting here also to tell me if they found anything I said to be offensive.
Nope. Bona fide pakistani here. Didn't find the thread at all offensive. Was even relieved that some anyone, and an indian at that, actually found pro's in Pakistan side. :p

Gangster,

To ask someone to not post a comment which has the potential of being upsetting is taking political correctness too far. As long as things are being discussed in an even-handed, non-inflamatory manner, I don't see any reason for blatant censorship like you are suggesting.

So what if some Pakistani fans got bummed by our lose? Should this preclude others from starting threads, giving opinion which touch on the defeat?

And In my very humble opinion ofcourse, if some Pakistani finds the existence of a thread discussing our teams' Pro's and Con's discussing then they should stop watching television or listening to radio commentary, or reading newspaper articles - or basically get a life.

Last edited:

yohanna

Banned
SJS said:
I would also like other Pakistani's posting here also to tell me if they found anything I said to be offensive.
Nope, i wasn't able to find anything offensive.I think its a good thread, and it doesn't matter as to whether Pakistan beat India in next test (highly unlikely) or not, the weakness in Pakistani team must be addressed.

yohanna

Banned
tooextracool said:
i wonder if the pakistan selectors will ever get the brain to pick kamal in ODIs.
He has been branded as a "test batsman" by the great selectors, but why just bash the selectors, when its Woolmer and Inzi who see no place for talented players like Asim and Danish in OD side :@

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
yohanna said:
He has been branded as a "test batsman" by the great selectors, but why just bash the selectors, when its Woolmer and Inzi who see no place for talented players like Asim and Danish in OD side :@
I think they might change their mind for this series of one dayers. Particularly with respect to Asim Kamal. He is really good and has a complete range of cricketing shots. I am sure he can score briskly in one dayers without taking un-necessary risk which is a quality lacking in most young Pakistani batsmen barring him and Salman Butt.

Which state does he come from, by the way ?

yohanna

Banned
SJS said:
Pakistan Pros and Cons. This obsession with pace in Pakistan amongst both the players and fans is atypical 'punjabi' macho attitude which is devoid of any thinking whatsoever. But thats what we Punjabis are known for arent we :)
Maybe the obsession is with the fans but i'm not sure about the players. How many fast bowlers that Pakistan have played recently were real quicks and just trying to bowl real fast?? Akhtar and Sami have been in the team since some time now but the new pacers that played for them were all medium pacers. Rana Naveed, Rao Iftikhar, Riaz Afridi, Khalil, Gul, Mohd Asif, Yasir Arafat were all medium pacers.

I think their is a visible decline in the quality of fast bowlers in Pakistan, reverse swing seems to be a forgotten art. Some of the players that were tried were very ordinary indeed.

Over the past ten years Pakistan was known for being a bowling team, a team with a couple of good batsmen some good allrounders and great bowlers .I think its not going to be a case anymore in future, its looks like that the batting is going to get stronger and might as well become Pakistan's strength in future, as young Pakistani batsmen are shoing lot of promise. Unfortunately there is little hope as far as bowling is concerned.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
yohanna said:
Maybe the obsession is with the fans but i'm not sure about the players. How many fast bowlers that Pakistan have played recently were real quicks and just trying to bowl real fast?? Akhtar and Sami have been in the team since some time now but the new pacers that played for them were all medium pacers. Rana Naveed, Rao Iftikhar, Riaz Afridi, Khalil, Gul, Mohd Asif, Yasir Arafat were all medium pacers.

I think their is a visible decline in the quality of fast bowlers in Pakistan, reverse swing seems to be a forgotten art. Some of the players that were tried were very ordinary indeed.

Over the past ten years Pakistan was known for being a bowling team, a team with a couple of good batsmen some good allrounders and great bowlers .I think its not going to be a case anymore in future, its looks like that the batting is going to get stronger and might as well become Pakistan's strength in future, as young Pakistani batsmen are shoing lot of promise. Unfortunately there is little hope as far as bowling is concerned.
I think Pakistan has always had a very weak domestic cricket set up and have relied on the English county season to hone the skills of their players with the result their fast bowlers learnt to swing the ball and their batsmen developed sound techniques alongwith their natural flare.

I feel Waqar as bowling coach would have been a great idea. But then the Pakistani side is so mercurial and the pulls from all sides are so strong. Any position pof authority is a double edges sword.

Imran needs to put his money where his mouth is and instead of just shouting from the sidelines, he needs to come forward and take charge. Other than him I cant think of anyone who will have the personal strength to manage this highly gifted but individualist bunch.

But I suppose Imran has too much on his plate already with his political ambitions, his hospital and all. :)

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
This bit from Cricinfo:

"Mohali was as bad a Test as anyone can have – dropped catches and joke dismissals galore. But his comeback in Kolkata was a testament to his character. Finally, he began to convert starts into substance and his running was supreme throughout. His energy levels were phenomenal, especially in Bangalore, and on the field, he was the team's engine, geeing people up, consoling, applauding, setting fields, offering and taking advice. Often he was over-exuberant, but mostly he was refreshing. His Bangalore epic will enter folklore, and as a potential future captain, the whole series might come to be viewed as the beginning of the succession."

...definitely makes me think Younis Khan may be the man for the captaincy job.

The whole piece here.