Cricket Betting Site Betway
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 77

Thread: Is Ganguly good enough to play test cricket ?

  1. #1
    School Boy/Girl Captain
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    160

    Is Ganguly good enough to play test cricket ?

    Seriously, when was the last time Ganguly made a test match hundred or came close to it ?

    Add to that his crazy field placings in the Calcutta test (men on the boundary with the opposition on the ropes ) ????

    If Anil Kumble was captain, I daresay he'd do any worse than Saurav....he'd probably be a lot better and you could bring someone into the middle order who could actually score runs in a test match !!

  2. #2
    International Debutant Eclipse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Nere a Spoon
    Posts
    2,909
    no not really.

  3. #3
    International Captain LongHopCassidy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Nursing a broken ****ing arm
    Posts
    5,702
    Quote Originally Posted by EnglishRose
    Seriously, when was the last time Ganguly made a test match hundred or came close to it ?

    Add to that his crazy field placings in the Calcutta test (men on the boundary with the opposition on the ropes ) ????

    If Anil Kumble was captain, I daresay he'd do any worse than Saurav....he'd probably be a lot better and you could bring someone into the middle order who could actually score runs in a test match !!
    He's a smart guy.

    He can play spin.

    He'll do for my side.
    "The Australian cricket captain is the Prime Minister Australia wishes it had. Steve Waugh is that man, Michael Clarke is not." - Jarrod Kimber

    RIP Fardin Qayyumi and Craig Walsh - true icons of CricketWeb.

  4. #4
    U19 Debutant chekmeout's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Muscat, Oman
    Posts
    349
    I agree with you EnglishRose
    except Dravid as captain and not Kumble
    Founder & President of VSAS


  5. #5
    C_C
    C_C is offline
    International Captain C_C's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    World
    Posts
    6,990
    Good enough to play isnt necessarily good enough period, for IF you play or not is totally subject to whether you are amongst the top 11 choices from the available talent-pool.
    If your talent pool is zimbabwe, a player like Bashar would be under no pressure...
    If your talent pool is like the WI of the 70s/80s or or OZ of now, players like Gillespie or Jayawardene would struggle to get a look.

    However,simply good enough to play test cricket, irrelevant to who's path he is blocking, then hell yes!

    Overall in test cricket, Ganguly is a better batsman than MANY who are playing/have played recently- Mark Butcher, Nasser Hussain, Neil McKenzie,Stephen Fleming,Craig McMillan, Younis Khan, etc etc.

  6. #6
    School Boy/Girl Captain
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    160
    Quote Originally Posted by C_C
    Good enough to play isnt necessarily good enough period, for IF you play or not is totally subject to whether you are amongst the top 11 choices from the available talent-pool.
    If your talent pool is zimbabwe, a player like Bashar would be under no pressure...
    If your talent pool is like the WI of the 70s/80s or or OZ of now, players like Gillespie or Jayawardene would struggle to get a look.

    However,simply good enough to play test cricket, irrelevant to who's path he is blocking, then hell yes!

    Overall in test cricket, Ganguly is a better batsman than MANY who are playing/have played recently- Mark Butcher, Nasser Hussain, Neil McKenzie,Stephen Fleming,Craig McMillan, Younis Khan, etc etc.
    Butcher and Hussain are/were much better players than that clown Ganguly.
    You're 'aving a laugh surely.

  7. #7
    C_C
    C_C is offline
    International Captain C_C's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    World
    Posts
    6,990
    Neither Butcher, Nor Hussain are a match for Ganguly at his peak nor are they better overall....
    Despite his slumps, Gangs averages 40+ in test cricket....Hussain and Butcher shyte their pants hearing 40 average.
    One averages 37+chance, the other averages 34+change....Gangs is a good 4pts/7pts clear of them both.

  8. #8
    State Vice-Captain Retox's Avatar
    Flexi-Combat Champion! Tournaments Won: 1
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    1,317
    Quote Originally Posted by C_C
    Neither Butcher, Nor Hussain are a match for Ganguly at his peak nor are they better overall....
    Despite his slumps, Gangs averages 40+ in test cricket....Hussain and Butcher shyte their pants hearing 40 average.
    One averages 37+chance, the other averages 34+change....Gangs is a good 4pts/7pts clear of them both.
    Fleming at his best is better then Gangs.
    No'ones gonna take me alive
    The time has come to make things right
    You and I must fight for our rights
    You and I must fight to survive

    New Zealand Cricket Supporter

  9. #9
    State Captain Dizzy #4's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    1,509
    no
    Jason Gillespie = Best Bowler and Batsman of South Australia
    CW Record Stats http://forum.cricketweb.net/showthread.php?t=23910

  10. #10
    C_C
    C_C is offline
    International Captain C_C's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    World
    Posts
    6,990
    An Emphatic NO.

    Lets see- Flemmo's best patch is 2003 and 2004, where he scored 1368 runs @ 54.72 from 28 innings and had 4 centuries and 3 fifties.

    Ganguly's best patch is 96-97 when he scored 1352 runs from 26 innings @ 54.08 and had 5 centuries and 4 fifties.

    Fleming has 6 years outta 12 years averaging over 40 for the year, Ganguly has 6 outta 10 years averaging over 40 for the year....Flemmo has 2 years over 50+ ave while Ganguly has 4.

  11. #11
    International Coach biased indian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    office
    Posts
    11,303
    Quote Originally Posted by EnglishRose
    Butcher and Hussain are/were much better players than that clown Ganguly.
    You're 'aving a laugh surely.
    a big no on that
    Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
    RIP Craigos

  12. #12
    International Regular shaka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    auckland NZ
    Posts
    3,045
    Fleming has been disintegrated mentally against this Australian team, but he will perform against Sri Lanka and return to his usual form. He IMO is much better than Ganguly is

  13. #13
    Cricket Web Staff Member luckyeddie's Avatar
    Target Champion! Stuarts Xtreme Skateboarding Champion!
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Derby, England
    Posts
    17,755
    Quote Originally Posted by C_C
    An Emphatic NO.

    Lets see- Flemmo's best patch is 2003 and 2004, where he scored 1368 runs @ 54.72 from 28 innings and had 4 centuries and 3 fifties.

    Ganguly's best patch is 96-97 when he scored 1352 runs from 26 innings @ 54.08 and had 5 centuries and 4 fifties.

    Fleming has 6 years outta 12 years averaging over 40 for the year, Ganguly has 6 outta 10 years averaging over 40 for the year....Flemmo has 2 years over 50+ ave while Ganguly has 4.
    Nothing in it then. None of those figures appear to be significantly disproportionate.
    Nigel Clough's Black and White Army, beating Forest away with 10 men

  14. #14
    International Coach biased indian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    office
    Posts
    11,303
    ya since this was said

    Quote Originally Posted by Retox
    Fleming at his best is better then Gangs

  15. #15
    SJS
    SJS is offline
    Hall of Fame Member SJS's Avatar
    Virus 2 Champion!
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Thane India
    Posts
    19,346
    Ganguly's career average or what he did five years ago is not germane to the issue. What has he done in recent times, if you take away the Bangladesh matches, in test matches ?

    Not much, I am afraid.

    If he wasnt captain, he would have been dropped and that is a fact.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. CW XI Test History
    By Mr Mxyzptlk in forum Statistics and Records
    Replies: 36
    Last Post: 29-11-2007, 05:34 AM
  2. Cricket Web Forum
    By James in forum Cricket Web Forum Announcements
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-04-2004, 02:10 AM
  3. Best player to play only one Test?
    By Craig in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 01-02-2004, 07:19 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •