• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Michael Clarke - all hype, no performance

howardj

International Coach
With the bleak weather, looks like the only thing to emerge out of this match is that so far, in the longer form of the game, Michael Clarke is all hype, and little performance. It's not so much that he only averages 15 from his last six test matches, it's the mode of his dismissals - caught behind the wicket after edging from off-stump.

People defend him by saying that "it's inevitable that, playing in such an attacking manner, he will have a run of outs". But this mode of dismissal occurs when he is defending, not attacking. It's no mystery why he only averages 38 in FC cricket, it's because he struggles to play fast/medium bowling - in the longer form of the game - in anything other than benign conditions.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
howardj said:
With the bleak weather, looks like the only thing to emerge out of this match is that so far, in the longer form of the game, Michael Clarke is all hype, and little performance. It's not so much that he only averages 15 from his last six test matches, it's the mode of his dismissals - caught behind the wicket after edging from off-stump.

People defend him by saying that "it's inevitable that, playing in such an attacking manner, he will have a run of outs". But this mode of dismissal occurs when he is defending, not attacking. It's no mystery why he only averages 38 in FC cricket, it's because he struggles to play fast/medium bowling - in the longer form of the game - in anything other than benign conditions.
The same problem Mark Waugh had earlier on in his career, its a bit worrying his performances of late but i'll back him to get out of it.

howardj

International Coach
Retox said:
So no player is allowed to have a down patch? Lara? Tendulkar?
But they have great records, in both Test and FC cricket. And, as I said, it's the manner of his dismissals, and his lack of a decent FC record, not just a 'down patch'.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
aussie

howardj said:
But they have great records, in both Test and FC cricket. And, as I said, it's the manner of his dismissals, and his lack of a decent FC record, not just a 'down patch'.
i dont think his lack of a decent FC record has anything to do with it mate. Its just a faze, he is young has i said just now it if u can remember it was the same problem Mark Waugh had earlier in his career, but it doesn't bother me much he will get out of it and it should bother u neither ur an aussie fan just like me

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
aussie

Neil Pickup said:
Wonder if it's at all connected with his miserable attempt at playing county cricket last summer?
he performaces at hampshire last season weren't miserable at all, i agree it wasn't anything to write home about he scored approximately 709 at 35.45 with 3 centuries, it was his first taste of county cricket next time around bowlers on the county circuit should be ware

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
You need to raise your standards... three centuries in a row in summer when the pitches were dead. Nothing else.

And 35 in the Championship is miserable for an International bat. Truth be told, if it were a county pro he'd be worried about his contract.

Simon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
if u take his first few games out of that he played quite well, i seem to recall he really struggled when he first got there...

SpaceMonkey

International Debutant
Neil Pickup said:
You need to raise your standards... three centuries in a row in summer when the pitches were dead. Nothing else.

And 35 in the Championship is miserable for an International bat. Truth be told, if it were a county pro he'd be worried about his contract.
Just 5 over Chris Schofields average says it all! :D

Josh

International Regular
Gee, it seems these days players aren't allowed to develop. They have to be the best we've ever seen in our lives or else they are crap. Hmmmm... interesting.

aussieyobbo

Cricket Spectator
ricky ponting had a good start to his test career and then went off a bit. look at him now.
clarkey will bounce back!

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
langer, hayden, martyn - theyve all had the same thing happen to them. Its very likely that Clarke will bounce back very soon and I will be laughing at you when he does. Dont be so quick to assume things!