• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Michael Clarke - all hype, no performance

James

Cricket Web Owner
Michael Slater was talking about Michael Clarke's county performances on the telly today actually and said the pitches in England last summer weren't anything to write home about at all and that he did really well under the cirumstances.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Clarke is incredibly gifted but has technical flaws.

The Australian selectors and many world greats recognise him for what he is - an unpolished daimond.

He and Watson are the long term future of Australian cricket.

LongHopCassidy

International Captain
I think he should learn that his series in India doesn't make him untouchable.

Of course, he does deserve more chances to completely cement his spot.

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
he does have alot of pressure on him to perfrom as well, which was only added afdterr the AB medal, im thinking that hes trying abit hard atm and isn't playing quite his natural game which isn't helping

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
He is going through a bad patch, but I am sure he will get out of it. I, for one, have always rated him high. I juz get the feeling that he is a natural. Watching him bat, and I have watched him LIVE BTW, I juz think he has got that special something about him as a batter. I always think that teams should persist with naturals... That was the precise reason I have been backing guys like Younis Khan, Dinesh Kaarthick, VVS Laxman, Clarke..... I am not saying they will be the next big things but they look naturally gifted and they are worth persisting with.

Linda

International Vice-Captain
No matter what Michael Clarke does; bat terribly, bowl wonderfully, miss a catch, whatever.. its the focus of the week. Just be patient.. hes just a kid, after all. He's only just started, for crying out loud.

Son Of Coco

BoyBrumby said:
Certainly a couple of notches below Justin Harrison's sweet little nothings last weekend! :whistling
I didn't actually hear what he said, but here's probably not the place to give a vivid description! :p

Mister Wright

Josh said:
Gee, it seems these days players aren't allowed to develop. They have to be the best we've ever seen in our lives or else they are crap. Hmmmm... interesting.
You develop in the Pura Cup, not on the test circuit. While guys like Hodge, Love, Maher, Hussey etc, consistently churn runs out summer after summer and their career first class averages are high 40s, 50s, their places are taken by a guy who barely averages 40 in first class cricket.

social

Mister Wright said:
You develop in the Pura Cup, not on the test circuit. While guys like Hodge, Love, Maher, Hussey etc, consistently churn runs out summer after summer and their career first class averages are high 40s, 50s, their places are taken by a guy who barely averages 40 in first class cricket.
Its all about timing and politics.

Lehmann should have played 70 - 80 tests but was only given an extended run towards the end of his career.

Love is a very, very fine player but was treated poorly.

Maher is in competition with Langer - the previous captain's best mate.

Clarke is young, talented and seen as the next big thing. He is marketable and the team is winning so we can afford to give him a go.

Life's not always fair.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
aussie

Neil Pickup said:
You need to raise your standards... three centuries in a row in summer when the pitches were dead. Nothing else.

And 35 in the Championship is miserable for an International bat. Truth be told, if it were a county pro he'd be worried about his contract.
he's yoing and plus it was his first season, i'll bet you neil that if pup goes back and plays in the county circuit he would be one the leading runscorers. If hodge and hussey brothers could do so much damage and couldn't even make the australian team before clarke, well enough said

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
aussie

James said:
Michael Slater was talking about Michael Clarke's county performances on the telly today actually and said the pitches in England last summer weren't anything to write home about at all and that he did really well under the cirumstances.
thanks mate for bringing up that point, i remember when slater made that very intersting point and he also said what i've been saying its just a faze he'll get through it.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
aussie said:
If hodge and hussey brothers could do so much damage and couldn't even make the australian team before clarke, well enough said
All that shows is that the others game is more suited towards the fare served up by your typical county bowler.

Josh

International Regular
Mister Wright said:
Test cricket is a much higher level. You can't tell me that a bloke in his first season is supposed to be ready & primed to play test cricket when he's never experienced it before. You need some time to develop into the "big time".

Mister Wright

Josh said:
Test cricket is a much higher level. You can't tell me that a bloke in his first season is supposed to be ready & primed to play test cricket when he's never experienced it before. You need some time to develop into the "big time".
That is exactly my point.