• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Michael Clarke - all hype, no performance

cbuts

International Debutant
clark is crap. peoplehave figurd him out. in 6 tests against us he has failed in all bar one and he had a miserable time in the 8 odi's recently. he caught the world of gaurd for w hile. imhoping that this wont be h marshalls future to

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Mister Wright said:
He has to get through the Ashes first.

It cannot be considered a slump if it has defined his entire first class career. What people don't realise, is that during the 'hot' summer he had before he was brought into the international side, he only scored about 2 centuries for the whole season, it would surprise me if he averaged any higher than 45. He then went to England and struggled until the end. It is not like he has been pounding centuries everywhere he plays for the last 3 seasons, if so, then you would call it a slump, but at the moment you would have to say this current patch of form is characteristic of his entire career.
well mr.wright, slowly but surely i have to agree with you mate

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
cbuts said:
clark is crap. peoplehave figurd him out. in 6 tests against us he has failed in all bar one and he had a miserable time in the 8 odi's recently. he caught the world of gaurd for w hile. imhoping that this wont be h marshalls future to
thats a though call, calling him crap he by no means crap, but refering to marshall you never know what the future holds for him, a good start in both forms of the game.

well do we see a pattern developing between two young batsmen from the Tasman :dry:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
FaaipDeOiad said:
You didn't even watch the bloody series. The only pitch in that series which was not a big turner is Nagpur, and even that had more spin than your average Australian wicket. The other three were big turners.
Funny how unsuccessful most spinners were at Bangalore, then.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
FaaipDeOiad said:
Err yeah, being the second highest scorer on a tough tour of India was "just well enough to be retained". 8-)
And what has happened since means he's done only just well enough to be retained.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Mister Wright said:
Clarke may be an over-rated batsman, but he is an excellent fielder...catcher? Well that's a different story...
Last I looked catching was part of fielding... the most important part by a very large distance, in fact...

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
tooextracool said:
how many times must it be said?
bangalore was a slow turner for the 1st and 2nd innings, eventually like most subcontinental wickets, there was turn and bounce, in the 3rd and 4th inning.
and scoring 151 against the likes of kumble and harbhajan is quite an achievement on any slow turner. raging turners hardly ever happen in test cricket, having 2 in the same series was extremely surprising indeed.
Which simply goes to show that scoring runs in India isn't particularly tough most of the time.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
tooextracool said:
it was 93-96, and it formed nearly half his career.
This period, in fact, and it formed, as you can calculate, 38.461538461538461538461538461538% of his Test-career.
Not a mile off half, no, but not especially close.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Richard said:
Which simply goes to show that scoring runs in India isn't particularly tough most of the time.
also suggests that the english county cricket is under-rated as clarke struggled to score any runs a great deal of the time whilst playing for hampshire.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
granted that, they are not batsman friendly to any extent and would have brought about some of his poor scores, but he also got poor scores away from the rose bowl on hampshires travels.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Mister Wright said:
Depends which way you look at it, I guess.
well if no fielders could catch that would be rather a problem no?
i think catching is a very substantial part of fielding

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Mister Wright said:
Depends which way you look at it, I guess.
You can give away 20 runs in misfields if you catch all your catches.
I can't believe anyone would doubt that?

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
sledger said:
well if no fielders could catch that would be rather a problem no?
i think catching is a very substantial part of fielding
It is a part of fielding, however both can be separated. You can be an excellent fielder, but still be a poor catcher, much like you can be an excellent catcher and not such a good fielder. Take a slips catcher for example, who is an excellent catcher, but put them in the outfield and they are not very quick, nor can they dive around the field. Or someone who is athletic enough to run around the field and dive to save boundaries, but chuck them in the slips and their reflexes aren't good enough to be considered an excellent catcher.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
No, catching is part of fielding.
You can be an excellent ground-fielder and a poor catcher, yes.
Even then, while Clarke has been outstanding recently I've still seen him fumble plenty.