Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: More devastating...Richards or Gilchrist??

More devastating...Richards or Gilchrist??

I can't think of many batsmen i've seen over the years who are as consistently as devastating as Viv Richards was in tests or Onedayers. But recently I've started to wonder if Gilchrist might be heading into that same league, particularly in test cricket. Obviously it's different coming in at 7 as opposed to 4 in the order. But the way Gilchrist has consistently changed test matches within an hour or two by scoring at close to a run a ball is incredible. No-doubt for me the most dangerous batsmen in cricket today.

Is he in Richards league yet though? That is in terms of placing fear on the opposition.

Hall of Fame Member FaaipDeOiad's Avatar
    Richards was a better batsman who had a big impact on more matches, and there's no contest in terms of actual skill. However, in my opinion Gilchrist is the most 'devastating' batsman ever, insofar as he is capable of turning a match on its head in a matter of half a session, and does it with incredible consistency. He has the best scoring rate in test history and an average well above 50... before the last few years that would have been unthinkable.

East London/West Essex whichever you like
    Quote Originally Posted by FaaipDeOiad
    Richards was a better batsman who had a big impact on more matches, and there's no contest in terms of actual skill. However, in my opinion Gilchrist is the most 'devastating' batsman ever, insofar as he is capable of turning a match on its head in a matter of half a session, and does it with incredible consistency. He has the best scoring rate in test history and an average well above 50... before the last few years that would have been unthinkable.
    Spot On for me. it might be because i never actually saw Sir. Viv bat live but Gilchrist absolutely takes the p*ss. you thibk you have got through the Aussie line-up and they are 150-5. this guy comes in and in just one session, Aus are 300-5. it's like Afridi was amazing consistency
    I hereby declare myself founder and leader of JAAS-James Anderson Appreciation Society

my favourite upcoming players
    AN Cook[Essex], IR Bell[Waricks]

Proud Member of Kevin Pietesen's Appreciation Society.

Glenn McGrath - 30 deliveries - 2 runs - 5 wickets

Bowling O M R W
    Harmison 12.3 8 12 7

Two most destructive pieces of bowling i have ever witnessed

An Aussie with a Lancashire accent living in Keighley,West Yorks
    King Viv and Gilly have the ability to pick up line and length of the ball quicker than any batsmen I have ever seen
    rave down, hit the ground

MSN: djjacksono@hotmail.com

Chicken Champion! Battle Pong Champion!
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Irrelevant to the topic but SpeedKing, shouldn't your signature read JAAS instead of JMAS?

East London/West Essex whichever you like
    Quote Originally Posted by Adamc
    Irrelevant to the topic but SpeedKing, shouldn't your signature read JAAS instead of JMAS?
    True that . although it is still correct coz his full name in James Micheal Anderson. il change it anyway . thanks

U19 12th Man
    I think the difference is the attitude.

Gilchrist is a force of nature..he can be devestating, but it's almost the luck of the draw if you get 'hit' and it's not personal.

Viv went out there intent on seizing the game away from the opposition and rubbing their nose in it.

Plasmanaut on Fire Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by telsor
    I think the difference is the attitude.

Gilchrist is a force of nature..he can be devestating, but it's almost the luck of the draw if you get 'hit' and it's not personal.

Viv went out there intent on seizing the game away from the opposition and rubbing their nose in it.

interesting observation

the answer to the question comes from what you mean by devestating
    Member of CW Green
    Kerry O'Keefe - Worlds funniest Commentator

International Debutant a massive zebra's Avatar
    Eggs Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by age_master
    interesting observation

the answer to the question comes from what you mean by devestating
    I think he means devastating.
    THE ULTIMATE CRICKET WEB ARCADE EGGS CHAMPION

RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1990-2006
    RIP Craig Walsh (AKA "Craig"), 1985-2012

C_C
    Gilly is extremely destructive but i will say that Richards is THE MOST destructive batsman ever, followed by Sehwag.
    For one, they bat higher up the order and face bowlers at their freshest- not comming in with the score at 200 or 300 and bowlers already battered to oblivion.

And in Richard's case, his striek rate is mindboggling.......up until late 80s, ODI cricket was essentially played as one day of test cricket..... Richard's 90+ strike rate against excellent bowlers in a day and age when the next best sriek rate(after 100 matches) was in the low 70s is mindboggling to say the least.

The fact that, in his prime, Viv did it at no. 3 vs Lillee, Thommo, Imran, etc puts him at the top of my list, despite Gilchrist being the best ever in his position.

Their longevity separates them from Sehwag IMO.

aussie

i'd go for richards richards i have seen clips of him bat plus i have heard so much about him from my father, and one main reason why i say him is because he has devasted much much better attacks with some greater bowlers than gilchrist E.g Lillee, Thompson. Imran Khan, qadir, Willis, Dev along with the great quartet of indian spinners, the great kiwi richard hadlee, those were some fantastic bowlers thses days all the great bowlers are in australia

An Aussie with a Lancashire accent living in Keighley,West Yorks
    Sehwag doesnt come even close to either of them IMO

International Vice-Captain Slats4ever's Avatar
    yeah definately. i think richards was great... doing what he did at 4 in the thick of it's superb.... Gilchrist i think is just a freak of nature as well. i can't really seperate.
    WCC - Manager of Warwickshire

C_C
    Swervy- Why not ?
    Sehwag scores his run at around the same clip Gillchrist does and he does so at the top of the order.......you can say Gilly faced Donald,Pollock,Akram and Younis but Sehwag faced the aussie unit which Gilly never has to.
    I think the only reason someone could have of not including sehwag up there is because of his relative lack of experience compared to Gilly or Viv......but another 50-60 innings in the same vein and i dont think how anyone can consider him less destructive than Gilly.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information