Cricket Betting Site Betway
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: More devastating...Richards or Gilchrist??

An Aussie with a Lancashire accent living in Keighley,West Yorks
    Quote Originally Posted by C_C
    Swervy- Why not ?
    Sehwag scores his run at around the same clip Gillchrist does and he does so at the top of the order.......you can say Gilly faced Donald,Pollock,Akram and Younis but Sehwag faced the aussie unit which Gilly never has to.
    I think the only reason someone could have of not including sehwag up there is because of his relative lack of experience compared to Gilly or Viv......but another 50-60 innings in the same vein and i dont think how anyone can consider him less destructive than Gilly.
    if sehwag can average 55 over almost 70 tests at a rate that Gilchrist does, then fair enough...but I just dont think he will do. Fair play to him if he does though
    rave down, hit the ground

MSN: djjacksono@hotmail.com

Shewag does not score at the same rate as Gilly anyway, Gilly scores a whole 11 runs per 100 balls probably more after the end of this innings....

That's a big difference... I have also noticed Gilly now has i thnk 79 sixes in test cricket, he is very close to holding that record as well.. he had 74 before this game and has hit five sixes this innings so far.

Hall of Fame Member FaaipDeOiad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Swervy
    if sehwag can average 55 over almost 70 tests at a rate that Gilchrist does, then fair enough...but I just dont think he will do. Fair play to him if he does though
    Exactly. Sehwag is a quality player, but I can't ever see him being as consistent OR as intimidating as Gilchrist. And frankly it shocks me a bit to see C_C, who is usually fairly reserved in his estimation of players early in their career, talking up Sehwag as the second most destructive batsman of all time when he is for all intents and purposes at the start of his career still. If he averages 55 in 5 years time, or ever manages to get his strike rate up to Gilchrist's level, I'll be surprised.

Sehwag is a tremendous cricketer BUT he has only played a relatively small no. of tests and he bats in the most favourable conditions in the sub-continent i.e. opening.

Let's talk more about him when he has played 50 or more tests.

BTW, how many saw Gilchrist today - UNBELIEVABLE.

i would like to see gilly face his own bowlers, hey what the hell him and mccullum should swap for the 3rd match, i would just like gilly make his bowlers feel what he makes our bowlers feel (like crap)

on the serious side he is a pretty devastating batsmen, he and the aussie team have changed the way a test match should be played, they are always looking for a win no matter what situation their team maybe in at the time.

i think richards had the same mind set.

gilly and richards best defense was and is ATTTACCKKK.

Quote Originally Posted by social
    Sehwag is a tremendous cricketer BUT he has only played a relatively small no. of tests and he bats in the most favourable conditions in the sub-continent i.e. opening.

Let's talk more about him when he has played 50 or more tests.

BTW, how many saw Gilchrist today - UNBELIEVABLE.
    Yeah, he was incredible. Three centuries in a row now, perhaps the best form of his life.

School Boy/Girl Captain
    Gilchrist is an excellent player but King Viv was something else.

Even on a seaming pitch against a pumped up attack, Viv would come in and smash the ball to all corners off the ground.

International Captain LongHopCassidy's Avatar
    So has Gilly, sunshine.
    "The Australian cricket captain is the Prime Minister Australia wishes it had. Steve Waugh is that man, Michael Clarke is not." - Jarrod Kimber

RIP Fardin Qayyumi and Craig Walsh - true icons of CricketWeb.

School Boy/Girl Captain
    Quote Originally Posted by LongHopCassidy
    So has Gilly, sunshine.

No he hasn't. I've seen every one of Gilchrist's hundreds since Brisbane 1999 and with the exception of Mumbai 2001, they've pretty much all come on benign tracks.

Viv displayed a greater level of skill when confronted with the same variety of conditions as Gilchrist.

C_C
    That is a legitimate reasoning but i think Sehwag can be classified in that group currently- he has scored at an excellent clip against all teams......15-20 more matches and i think it should not be an issue

Shewag does not score at the same rate as Gilly anyway, Gilly scores a whole 11 runs per 100 balls probably more after the end of this innings....
    Mate, there is a big difference opening the batting(arguably the hardest job in test cricket batting) while facing bowlers at their freshest and taking on bowlers who are much more tired and jaded from the battering given by the fearsome Aussie batting unit.

Eclipse-unless Gilly plays in the same vein for the next 3-4 years, i would say that Sehwag is the likeliest candidate of holding the most sixes's record...he is considerably younger and hits sixes at the rate of a six per match...

If he averages 55 in 5 years time, or ever manages to get his strike rate up to Gilchrist's level, I'll be surprised.
    Strike rate- i would be surprised.... since he doesnt have the luxury of facing tired and jaded bowlers atleast half the time but bowlers at their freshest.
    But average ? Gilly averages 54.9 whilst Sehwag is averaging 53.5... pretty frickin close i would say!

Eyes not spreadsheets marc71178's Avatar
    Eclipse-unless Gilly plays in the same vein for the next 3-4 years, i would say that Sehwag is the likeliest candidate of holding the most sixes's record...he is considerably younger and hits sixes at the rate of a six per match...
    But bear in mind there's only a year between him and Flintoff, and he's well behind Flintoff.
    marc71178 - President and founding member of AAAS - we don't only appreciate when he does well, but also when he's not quite so good!

Anyone want to join the Society?

Beware the evils of Kit-Kats - they're immoral apparently.

C_C
    True- i would say Flintoff is another genuine contender for most sixes record.

Mate, there is a big difference opening the batting(arguably the hardest job in test cricket batting) while facing bowlers at their freshest and taking on bowlers who are much more tired and jaded from the battering given by the fearsome Aussie batting unit.
    By your reasoning Hayden would fall into the same group - he averages in the mid 50s opening the batting and scores at a greater rate than Richards did. However, he is unquestionably not as devastating as Gilchrist is, even when he was making more runs.

But average ? Gilly averages 54.9 whilst Sehwag is averaging 53.5... pretty frickin close i would say!
    Yes, but as others have pointed out Sehwag is still early in his career. Between October 2003 and April 2004 Gilchrist's average dropped by 9 runs. Before that he had maintained an average in excess of 60 for 18 months between the tour of South Africa and the home series against Zimbabwe. After his unbeaten century in the match where Hayden broke Lara's record he averaged 61.08 before heading into his drought during the India series, and his career peak was 61.48, the best since Bradman. Now he averages a touch under 55 and it's going up again from a low point of 52.88 prior to the century against Sri Lanka that ended his drought. This is why it's worth looking at how many matches Sehwag has played and seeing if his average is still in the 55 range in 5 years time.

It's Gilchrist's remarkable consistency despite his risky strokeplay that makes him so remarkable - he remains one of the relative rarities who has NEVER had a test average under 40 (just 17 in test history with 30 innings or more), and only a couple of times has it ever dropped below 50. All this with a strike rate a massive distance ahead of his nearest competitor in test history. Couple this with the situations in which he gets his runs and the effect he has on the opposition and you have a strong case to be the most devastating player in test history.

Gilly doesn't open who know's how he would go if he did.. my guess is he wouldn't change his approch one bit.. just look how he always plays the second new ball, or the fact he reguarly come's in under pressure and responmds with attack! most of his good scores have been when the team is under pressure..

!
    Maybe, he doesn't hit nearly as many sixes per innings on average as Gilly does though..

Cricket Web Staff Member luckyeddie's Avatar
    Target Champion! Stuarts Xtreme Skateboarding Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by a massive zebra
    I think he means devastating.
    Very true.

Devestating is what strikers get booked for when they've just scored a goal.

I never saw anyone like Richards, but then again I never saw anyone like Gilchrist either - superb hand-eye co-ordination.
    Nigel Clough's Black and White Army, beating Forest away with 10 men

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information