• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Learn to look after the Ball New Zealand !!!

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
To me it's no mystery that NZ struggle to get reverse swing once the ball gets old. Sure it requires skill on the bowlers part to get it reversing, but you've got to give yourself a chance. NZ as a whole (team) don't seem to look after the ball nearly as well as most other sides. I first noticed it in England last year when the Eng bowlers really worked on the old ball..totally legally as well. All fielders spent a long time shining it. Australia do it well also. New Zealand need to make much more of a concious effort to really work on one side of the old ball. I suppose then actually knowing how to reverse it would also help :D

anzac

International Debutant
interestingly the commentators were talking about this in the 1st Test after McGrath's efforts, and apparently in the AUS side apparently only McGrath & Warne actually work the ball as such..............

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Ming said:
Did I say it did? Simply just proving zinzan wrong.
How is that proving me wrong critten?....If you could actually read you'd see that i simply stated that NZ didn't look after or work on the old ball as much as the likes of Australia and England, therefore reducing the chances of the ball reversing. Where did i say NZ got absolutely no reverse swing??

Ming

State 12th Man
You said they struggle to get reverse swing. Martin, Franklin and Astle get reverse because of their seam position when they release the ball. Tuffey and O'Brien don't, because they bowl with a scrambled seam.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
zinzan12 said:
To me it's no mystery that NZ struggle to get reverse swing once the ball gets old. Sure it requires skill on the bowlers part to get it reversing, but you've got to give yourself a chance. NZ as a whole (team) don't seem to look after the ball nearly as well as most other sides. I first noticed it in England last year when the Eng bowlers really worked on the old ball..totally legally as well. All fielders spent a long time shining it. Australia do it well also. New Zealand need to make much more of a concious effort to really work on one side of the old ball. I suppose then actually knowing how to reverse it would also help :D
Better you look after the ball (and it's dictated much more by the state of the outfield than the skill of the fielders) the less it tends to reverse.
The best thing IMO is to get conventional swing for as long as you can, and when it stops get it into the dust as often as you legally can, while shining the one side.