• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Zimbabwe cricket : the road ahead

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
They have been a shame for world cricket. But now the player strike seems to be over.

Will Zimbabwe be able to compete any where near the standard of 1999? I doubt.

But should they be given a chance to remain among test playing nations and ODI nations? If yes for how long.

Your thoughts.

I am confused on the topic.

Chubb

International Regular
I think that now Wishart, Gripper and Carlisle have returned their batting ought to be a bit more competitive and the bowling has already been boosted. But the problem is that, even if they put out their best team now, it's nowhere near as good as it was, and it won't be until Mugabe has been deposed and the country recovers. I think they should see how they go against New Zealand and then, if no improvement, then, unhappily, unfortunately and with the knowledge that it's one of sport's greatest tragedies (as well as the world's), then it should be goodbye, Zim, hope to see you back soon.

This is their best XI now;
Gripper
Taylor
Wishart
Masakadza
Carlisle
Ebrahim
Taibu
Blignaut
Streak
Cremer
Mpofu or Panyangara

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Even that XI wouldn't give the Second XIs of the other 8 nations much of a go if you ask me.
Zimbabwe shouldn't be playing ODI or Test-cricket right now and them doing so only harms all parties.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Unfortunately, it's a political argument as much as a sporting one.

Do we encourage Zimbabwean cricket by continuing their exposure to world-class opponents or do we implement sanctions to reinforce our distaste for their government?

My feeling is that the latter will have nil impact upon Mugabe if done so in isolation and might even cause further retribution against the white minority.

username1234

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
No they shouldn't be aloud for 2 reson's

1. Their government is evil racist dictator.
2. Their players suck even with the rebles coming back they still dont look like a side that will be able to compete with other country's.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
NZ should be well and truly toughened up after facing Australia twice in the last 5 months.
All along the management has said the lessons learnt from facing Australia will be used to good effect when they come up against the other nations. I fully expect them to beat Zimbabwe by an innings in both test matches in August.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Whether supposedly toughened-up by Australia or not (most teams, you might notice, are supposedly toughened-up by being thrashed by Australia - it rarely comes to much) New Zealand deserve opprobrium if they don't beat Zimbabwe by an innings twice.

Mr Casson

Cricketer Of The Year
Chubb said:
I think that now Wishart, Gripper and Carlisle have returned their batting ought to be a bit more competitive and the bowling has already been boosted. But the problem is that, even if they put out their best team now, it's nowhere near as good as it was, and it won't be until Mugabe has been deposed and the country recovers. I think they should see how they go against New Zealand and then, if no improvement, then, unhappily, unfortunately and with the knowledge that it's one of sport's greatest tragedies (as well as the world's), then it should be goodbye, Zim, hope to see you back soon.

This is their best XI now;
Gripper
Taylor
Wishart
Masakadza
Carlisle
Ebrahim
Taibu
Blignaut
Streak
Cremer
Mpofu or Panyangara
Chigumbura is a find. They shouldn't chuck him out so soon.

Chubb

International Regular
I've actually been thinking the same thing since I posted that. Firstly, Ebrahim has shown he has guts at number three, so Wishart should drop to six. But then I thought, Wishart can murder poor bowling but his record against the best is very poor, so then I guess that Chigumbura, who has real talent, should maybe bat seven with Taibu at six. He can bowl as well so he is probably a better pick than Wishart.

cricket player

International Debutant
Now heath streak is playing cricket for no money,He is just playing for the sake of the team,wasnt heath streak the one who ruined The zimbabwen team,He was the first one to leave and Then the other rebels continue to leave as well,and now he is back,Why?I just dont get it.

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
cricket player said:
Now heath streak is playing cricket for no money,He is just playing for the sake of the team,wasnt heath streak the one who ruined The zimbabwen team,He was the first one to leave and Then the other rebels continue to leave as well,and now he is back,Why?I just dont get it.
Heath Streak ruined the Zimbabwe cricket team!?!?!

Now i've heard everything!

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
benchmark00 said:
Heath Streak ruined the Zimbabwe cricket team!?!?!

Now i've heard everything!
No you havent. Just stick to Bob and get lots more of the same :p

12th Man

U19 12th Man
The best idea would be two tiers. The top 8 teams in Div 1and:
Bangladesh, Zimbabwe, Holland, Ireland, Scotland, Kenya, UAE and Namibia for division 2. This would work for both test and ODI's. At the end if the 4(or5) year cycle the team at the top of div 2 plays a play off against bottom of div1. Winner goes to div 1, loser goes to div2

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Mr Casson said:
Chigumbura is a find. They shouldn't chuck him out so soon.
Hmm, I don't know about that, I think he's a rather overrated player personally; he can bash it around occasionally but he'll swish and flop much more often. And his bowling is one of the biggest jokes I've seen for a supposed bowler since K Eric Upashantha.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Richard said:
Hmm, I don't know about that, I think he's a rather overrated player personally; he can bash it around occasionally but he'll swish and flop much more often. And his bowling is one of the biggest jokes I've seen for a supposed bowler since K Eric Upashantha.
He'll get better IMO.

Not quite good enough for their test team yet, but hell certainly get better, and he should be kept in the one day side. Even before the strike, they lacked a big hitter in one dayers - someone that could really up the rate ta the end. The only player like this they had was Blignaut, as he has underachieved with the bat in ODIs.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I don't think Chigumbura is a consistent enough big-hitter, nor do I really think he ever will be.