• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cricket v/s Baseball

Status
Not open for further replies.

SillyCowCorner1

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Anyone else noticed the stumps being broken in half by the cricket ball somewhere around in the first 2 minutes?

The dude is bowling spin, FFS.

I can't :lol:

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
IDK who that guy is either, but the video was made by ESPN which is owned by Disney which presumably does not have an agenda of any kind, especially in as much as it shows cricket on its WatchESPN app and it sees unlikely to be trying to ruin that business. I expect the results would have been the same no matter who was batting.

What do you think of the affect of using astroturf as a pitch? Current turf slows a bouncing ball more than grass or older turf, but IDK how it compares to a pitch with respect to the speed of the hop or the impact of the spin.
Astroturf is often used in nets and junior grounds. The bounce is true and makes batting far easier than proper turf wickets.

andmark

International Captain
IDK who that guy is either, but the video was made by ESPN which is owned by Disney which presumably does not have an agenda of any kind, especially in as much as it shows cricket on its WatchESPN app and it sees unlikely to be trying to ruin that business. I expect the results would have been the same no matter who was batting.
I'm not being sarcastic or anything but I've genuinely seen local club cricketers better than this guy. It's virtually impossible to know how someone like AB de Villiers would have done.

stephen

I've often thought that most baseballers would probably have made decent cricketers and vice versa if they'd played the other sport growing up. A player like Dave Warner would be worth big bucks if he played baseball - he's got a great arm and can hit very well.

Spin bowlers obviously excluded.

SillyCowCorner1

https://www.icc-cricket.com/news/815773

Saw him bat during the East Asia Cup in HK. Didn't score much at all batting against the might of Korea, China and HK's Chinese players. Even got dropped from the side for a game
"Kimura is ambitious – he has already expressed his desire to play in the Indian Premier League, declaring the tournament as the benchmark for his success at cricket. He is also determined to spread cricket throughout Japan."

:lol:

Victor Ian

International Coach
The thing is, you have hit the ball many times well to accumulate runs. That first hit by the baseball player was out caught. But give him his dues - with practice he might make 5 runs before he is out and challenge S Marsh for a position in the Australian batting line up.

stephen

Yep, cricket batting is about consistent concentration. Baseball hitting is about getting that big hit off.

Chrish

International Debutant
Both games require entirely separate skill set.

Of course this is cricket forum so not a lot of people would know a great deal about baseball but let me assure you that skill/ precision and fitness requirement to succeed in baseball is immense!

TheJediBrah

I'd say fitness, especially explosive fitness, is way more valuable in baseball than cricket. What cricket requires that baseball doesn't more the mental side of things.

stephen

I'd say fitness, especially explosive fitness, is way more valuable in baseball than cricket. What cricket requires that baseball doesn't more the mental side of things.
Mental and stamina requirements are bigger in cricket. Explosive athleticism in baseball. Baseball is about execution and speed. Cricket is about endurance and finesse.

rodk

School Boy/Girl Captain
Cricket is about endurance and finesse.
When did you get that idea? While sitting on the bench all day waiting to bat, or if you were done batting, back in the air conditioned office at the arena or at the hotel while your team bats its last innings? During tea break and lunch hour? During the four days off between matches?

Cricket is about staying awake, not enduring.

Baseball players are at the park 7 hours a day, play 162 out of 183 days (not including playoffs), travel at night to play in the next city, learn the tendencies and the approaches of 18 opposing teams overnight, and have the burden of both being in training and competing for a league championship simultaneously. They don't get to appear in random games against the same opponent for weeks at a time in contests without further meaning than the here and now, and face several times a week superstar pitching that can get them out, not whomever the opponent can press into service as a non-specialized player every so often or the good bowler who can be foiled by cowardly risk aversion and stalling tactics. They risk injuries from barrelling, headhunting, and repetitive stress.

That's what takes endurance and stamina.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.