• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cricket v/s Baseball

Status
Not open for further replies.

Langeveldt

Soutie
I'm one of the few people who probably think baseball and cricket are awesome in their own right... The idea is not to try and compare them too much...

I challenge anyone who fancies themselves at cricket and thinks baseball does not have any skill to execute a double or triple play, something that requires far more team play and co-ordination than fielding in cricket..

Still people who love a sport will always attack a "foreign equivalent"

And now with Twenty20 cricket we essentially have cricket that takes all the bad things about baseball (tackiness, agressive marketing, lack of skilful shot selection) and puts it in a sloppy mess of a game.. I wonder if Baseball would ever consider making a boring, five day, cricket like game with bigger bats and no people watching :D

roseboy64

Cricket Web Content Updater
Truth hurts. Even baseball is suffering a bit because it's so long. Coupled with a few other reasons too such as drugs and the like.

roseboy64

Cricket Web Content Updater
Having played both sports I can say that they are both challenging in their own way. Makes no sense judging baseball if you haven't played for more than a few minutes or just watched it.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
I am lucky that I have been exposed to baseball fairly more than most Indians very early. The first introductions came while playing a video game on media which I loved. It helped me get familiarised with the rules. Then went on to the best sports shop in our city at around the age of 11-12, bought a baseball bat and ball.

In the cubs (the junior form of scouts which I later joined) group in our school, we had cool 'brothers' who were adaptive as well. We played baseball a few days, the only time I have had experience of playign the sport in the evenings, in the night camping in school. Great days camping during holidays in school as a kid. :happy:

Okay coming back to the topic, the point is I like baseball like I do many other sports. It has got its own appeal, own specific skills required. With cable, internet and more advanced EA sports games, I understood baseball more. I would watch a live baseball game on tv as I would watch most other live sports.

The thing is cricket is unique, has far more variations than any other sport, why just compare with baseball. While every sport looks to eliminate the inconsistencies of nature, like the same court in basketball, switching of court sides in tennis, change of tennis balls after specific number of games, playing indoors - basically bringing in uniformity, cricket does the opposite.

In cricket, you have the pitch which consistently deterioates(Far less now than on uncovered wickets). The ball becomes old. (The changing of balls after 80 overs was not always there), the batsman can face a full toss or a ball on bounce, and millions of other intricacies.

Test cricket - as it originally was spanning a time (if you notice, the earlier innings were counted on minutes, the concept of counting balls only came in after advent of one day cricket), not uniform (australia and england having different rules for eg the aussie 8 ball over) and stuff makes it a unique sport. It is completely contrasting when you compare with other sports.

Now in the past 25-30 years we have had some uniformity but if you watch two simultaneous live test matches, one in australia, one in the subcontinent, you will think you are watching a different game.

Test cricket is from another age. It is less remixed than any other sport. We have the remix in the one dayers and the martyn crowe Max cricket and now the twenty20 cricket and the double wicket tournaments and the sixes and the super 8s and stuff.

But cricket is more uncertain, has more aspects than any other game.

I LOVE playing basketball and I have had fun playing baseball and football is such a simple beautiful game (it has its own charm) but never can any thing replace the joy of bowling leg spinners for me. Some other craft for some one else may carry the same fondness.

Every sport, every game has its own aspects. Even the recent twenty20 cricket requires specific skills. I refer to it as different as it is so contrasting to the original test cricket. We can enjoy them all.

Basketball is my other love for its own reasons. It carries a passion in me like rugby does to some people. But there is no denying the uniqueness of cricket compared to baseball, tennis, basketball or any other sport.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Imagine being told to bowl to a baseball and bowling length balls outside off instead of Yorkers and bouncers...

stephen

I always love seeing baseballers play cricket. Their techniques are ludicrously exploitable.

When I played baseball I remember a guy filling in for an opposition side who was a cricketer. It was quite funny watching him try to drive a half volley.

stephen

Quality player this is. Maybe that's why they chose him for this 'experiment' :lol:
He was probably under instruction to put all of the balls in the strike zone so that they could prove their point. The funny thing is that their point is valid enough - it's harder to hit a baseball than a cricket ball. I don't think anybody who has played both would disagree with that at all.

rodk

School Boy/Girl Captain
Getting one of baseball's "best young hitters" to face a cricketer none of us have ever heard of, but they politely call him a star, seems fair...
IDK who that guy is either, but FWIW, he had 72 not out vs. Ireland in a qualifier of some kind in 2010. Does that do anything for you? http://www.espncricinfo.com/series/...-group-a-icc-world-twenty20-qualifier-2009-10

The video was made by ESPN which is owned by Disney which presumably does not have an agenda of any kind, especially in as much as it shows cricket on its WatchESPN app and it sees unlikely to be trying to ruin that business. I expect the results would have been the same no matter who was batting.

What do you think of the affect of using astroturf as a pitch? Current turf slows a bouncing ball more than grass or older turf, but IDK how it compares to a pitch with respect to the speed of the hop or the impact of the spin.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.