• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

SA Touring Squad for WI

Marius

International Debutant
Graeme Smith (WPBoland)
Nicky Boje (Eagles)
Jacques Kallis (WPBoland)
Herschelle Gibbs (WPBoland)
Ashwell Prince (WPBoland)
Boeta Dippenaar (Eagles)
Mark Boucher (Warriors)
Andrew Hall (Lions)
Charl Langeveldt (Lions)
Monde Zondeki (Warriors)
Makhaya Ntini (Warriors)
Jacques Rudolph (Titans)
AB de Villiers (Titans)
Andre Nel (Titans)
Shaun Pollock (Dolphins)

I think its a pretty good squad, although Dale Steyn, Justin Kemp, Zander de Bruyn and Albie Morkel can count themsleves unlucky. Also what are your guys' predictions with regards to the series. If WI doesn't sort out its nonsense SA will win 2-0 or 3-0. If Lara, Sarwan etc. play, I still see SA winning but it will be a much closer series.

Marius

International Debutant
Its the squad for the Tests, I'll put my house on it that he'll be in the ODI squad.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Tim said:
Im interested to know why Justin Kemp isn't there?
Even though it is Test i rather have him in my side in front of Dippenear or Hall, why pick him for the Zim Test infront of those guys and not pick him even in the sqaud.

garage flower

State Vice-Captain
Marius said:
Also what are your guys' predictions with regards to the series. If WI doesn't sort out its nonsense SA will win 2-0 or 3-0. If Lara, Sarwan etc. play, I still see SA winning but it will be a much closer series.
South Africa really ought to win 4-0 - weather permitting - if Windies are without 3 of their 4 best batsmen and 1 of their 2 effective test bowlers.

I think a full strength Windies would lose narrowly, perhaps 2-1, due to South Africa's clear edge in bowling quality.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Marius said:
Graeme Smith (WPBoland)
Nicky Boje (Eagles)
Jacques Kallis (WPBoland)
Herschelle Gibbs (WPBoland)
Ashwell Prince (WPBoland)
Boeta Dippenaar (Eagles)
Mark Boucher (Warriors)
Andrew Hall (Lions)
Charl Langeveldt (Lions)
Monde Zondeki (Warriors)
Makhaya Ntini (Warriors)
Jacques Rudolph (Titans)
AB de Villiers (Titans)
Andre Nel (Titans)
Shaun Pollock (Dolphins)

I think its a pretty good squad, although Dale Steyn, Justin Kemp, Zander de Bruyn and Albie Morkel can count themsleves unlucky. Also what are your guys' predictions with regards to the series. If WI doesn't sort out its nonsense SA will win 2-0 or 3-0. If Lara, Sarwan etc. play, I still see SA winning but it will be a much closer series.
Steyn can't have any complaints, there are about 6 or 7 bowlers who deserved to be picked ahead of him ITFP.
de Bruyn is unlucky, as he was to be dropped when he was.
Don't know about Morkel, I can see a few who he should be ahead of personally. Doesn't, yet at least, look much special to me.
As for Kemp, I don't know - I'd prefer him to get himself established in ODIs before people start picking him for Tests. I'd also like to see him doing something about his bowling, which has become a joke in the last year or so. He used to be a really good bowler, too.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Yeah, Kemp is nothing more than a part-timer these days.

And I dont really know why... he was a good bowler when he first came onto the scene. His test record shows us this.

If he can sort his bowling out, he will be a test fixture.

why pick him for the Zim Test infront of those guys and not pick him even in the sqaud.
They didnt pick him for the Zim tests!

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Question is... why has his bowling gone so badly downhill?
And until someone can answer that, he can't get back where he was.
If it was obvious, I imagine someone'd have spotted it by now.

Craig

World Traveller
I would have picked Steyn personally, just watching him bowl he looked he had something good about him, he had pace, talent, potential, aggressiveness - he isn't afraid of hurting a batsman, and I thought he bowled not that bad.

Add to that I think he will get better in time, the only critism is that he over did the bouncer and should have slipped in a yorker or two after a series of bouncers.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I'd say the criticism is that he's extremely wayward and nowhere near good enough for Test-cricket yet.
Maybe he will get better in time - hopefully he won't get picked again until he has.
And hopefully the bowlers who've been around for a while and deserve a chance might get one in the meantime.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Craig said:
David Terbrugge is the most hard-done-by of all; but there's also...
Allan Dawson, Charl Willoughby, Charl Langeveldt, Mfeneko Ngam, Mornantau Hayward (yes! Even he is better than Steyn), Monde Zondeki...

Langeveldt

Soutie
Kemp's bowling has gone downhill because of a long term injury..

Looks like a very good squad to me, lovely to have no complaints!

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Langeveldt said:
Kemp's bowling has gone downhill because of a long term injury..
Like Klusener, then...
Hope it doesn't take him 5 years to get over it like it took Klusener...

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Richard said:
I doubt it.
There's been several rubbish attacks in this lot, he's still managed to do very, very little.
IMO this is the best attack we can muster with or without the meddling Digicel. I'm not referring to strength of attack, I'm referring to substandard players scoring runs against the West Indies.