• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Welcome Newbies!

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
SpeedKing said:
i am 16 and my coach told me i bowl about 77-79 mph [that is about 123-127kph].
I must say I find that unlikely.
Go to one of the ECB Roadshows this year (or somewhere else where you can get speedgunned), be interesting to find-out.
Coaches are notoriously optimistic about the bowling speed of young proteges.

Swervy

International Captain
Richard said:
Go to one of the ECB Roadshows this year (or somewhere else where you can get speedgunned), be interesting to find-out.
what a surprise....Richard finding something someone else says 'unlikely'

Swervy

International Captain
Richard said:
Why is that surprising?
People find things other people say unlikely all the time.
well I just dont think its that nice a thing to say to some 16 year old lad..that his coach is probably just exagerating to make him feel good....so what if you think that!!!!??? beleive it or not,the coach might be right....and maybe..just maybe, you might have made an error in your snap-judgement of SpeedKings post,and your generalistion about coaches of young players.

No one really needs to know whether you think Speedkings coach is wrong or right,you are never going to prove it..so all you do possibly is just erode ever so slightly at a yound players confidence in his coach...nice one!!!!

Not that SpeedKing will give two hoots about what you say about his coach

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I'm not saying he\she is neccessarily a poor coach, simply that no human is any good at working-out the speed somoene is bowling at... and that coaches tend to be very optimistic about the deeds of their youngsters.
Whether or not that fits your nice always-look-on-the-positive-side ideas of cricket or not, S, you surely cannot possibly not realise it's true?

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
aussie

well i'm new has you can see i'm from manchester and i'm 16 years old, i'm a black lad, i'm a english fan by heart but i am great supporter of the australian team my parents are of caribbean decent escpecially my mum who supports the west indies with great pride while my father is a white fellow, and i recently joined the Lancashire CC

chekmeout

U19 Debutant
aussie said:
well i'm new has you can see i'm from manchester and i'm 16 years old, i'm a black lad, i'm a english fan by heart but i am great supporter of the australian team my parents are of caribbean decent escpecially my mum who supports the west indies with great pride while my father is a white fellow, and i recently joined the Lancashire CC
Wow you can support 3 teams!!

Sparky

Cricket Spectator
Hello all, I follow England and Lancashire although I'm now exiled to London and Kent So I tend to watch most of my cricket at Canterbury and Lords (there are worse places to settle down for a days cricket).
I haven't played for some time but I used to be a decent wicket-keeper and hard to shift but limited batsman!!
I look forward to discussing various cricket topics with you all.

England for the ashes anyone?!!!

chekmeout

U19 Debutant
Sparky said:
Hello all, I follow England and Lancashire although I'm now exiled to London and Kent So I tend to watch most of my cricket at Canterbury and Lords (there are worse places to settle down for a days cricket).
I haven't played for some time but I used to be a decent wicket-keeper and hard to shift but limited batsman!!
I look forward to discussing various cricket topics with you all.

England for the ashes anyone?!!!
australia mate.. australia all the way...

SpeedKing

U19 Vice-Captain
Richard said:
Trust me i am not called speedking for nothing. Last year, i was playing for our men's side when i was still 15 and the opposition captain told me i was the quickest 15 yr old he has ever faced [got him caught behind :D ]. i think the team was Gray's [Thurrock]. Problem is i am not the most accurate but i am the second fastest bowler at our club [beaten by Saffie guy called Riaan Shoeman who is more or less genuinely fast-medium and is over 25]

Last edited:

SpeedKing

U19 Vice-Captain
Richard said:
BTW do you know where i can find one of those roadshows. i am curious too

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
SpeedKing said:
Trust me i am not called speedking for nothing. Last year, i was playing for our men's side when i was still 15 and the opposition captain told me i was the quickest 15 yr old he has ever faced [got him caught behind :D ]. i think the team was Gray's [Thurrock]. Problem is i am not the most accurate but i am the second fastest bowler at our club [beaten by Saffie guy called Riaan Shoeman who is more or less genuinely fast-medium and is over 25]
Don't use the G word.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
SpeedKing said:
Yeah, I don't doubt you've got some pace... but you can't know how fast anyone is, or even close, until they've been timed.
I've seen a 13 year-old guy who could bowl extraordinarily fast for his age before. But how fast was he? We didn't know.
And I played for our men's side at 15. As a batsman! And I was frighteningly out of depth.