• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Hansie Cronje movie

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
<quack> It'd make a good musical. Sub-title could be "From summit to plummet"

I must apologise for DD's lack of taste

chekmeout

U19 Debutant
i hope they do a thorough research on his accident/murder too... and add it to the movie..
that blokes had one helluva dramatic life...

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I do hope with Hansie's elder bro involved in won't prove to be too much of a whitewash. There seems a rather distasteful effort to paint him as some kind of Afrikaner martyr in SA, where he was actually a victim of his own greed. It may also be instructive to consider that the two players he successfully drew into his machinations were Henry Williams & Herschelle Gibbs; both non-whites who may've been uncertain of their positions in the SA side.

The story has all the elements of the classic tragedy or morality play: a man at the very peak of his powers, revered by his countrymen brought down by his insatiable avarice.

It's a tragedy the poor guy died so soon, he was ultimately denied any chance of redemption.

Anyone have any ideas for an actor to play him? I'd go for Gary Sinise, he shares Cronje's feral, slightly world-weary look.

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
BoyBrumby said:
Anyone have any ideas for an actor to play him? I'd go for Gary Sinise, he shares Cronje's feral, slightly world-weary look.
I would pick Ray Leotta as the guy who has the face closest to Hansie , but he is much shorter than Hansie.

My next pick would be Ralph Fiennes !! (with a little bit of facial change he would fit the bill - Height wise would be pretty close to Hansie too )

Wonder who others on CW would pick to play Hansie ?
:D :D

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
I would like to pick a British actor considering he would know some thing about the game!

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
luckyeddie said:
<quack> It'd make a good musical. Sub-title could be "From summit to plummet"

I must apologise for DD's lack of taste
Seriously, le, there are some things you don't joke about and hiding behind DD isn't appropriate.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
BoyBrumby said:
the two players he successfully drew into his machinations were Henry Williams & Herschelle Gibbs; both non-whites who may've been uncertain of their positions in the SA side.
Gibbs, uncertain of his place?
Gibbs did have a need for urgent money, as you'll know remembering his explanation of why he took the offer up - but Gibbs was one guy who could have had no doubts of his place in the side!

C_C

International Captain
Gibbs did have a need for urgent money, as you'll know remembering his explanation of why he took the offer up - but Gibbs was one guy who could have had no doubts of his place in the side!
need for urgent money does NOT justify dishonesty and selling your country short. Period.

I hope the movie potrays hansie for what he really was: a greedy player who was a good captain, mediocre batsman and an absolute disgrace ethically.

PS: I hope Pete Sampras gets some acting training because he looks so much like Cronje that he should play Cronje!
:D

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
C_C said:
PS: I hope Pete Sampras gets some acting training because he looks so much like Cronje that he should play Cronje!
:D
I was hoping the same thing but Sampras must not know much abuot cricket or acting.

chekmeout

U19 Debutant
Is this going to be an Indian production or a South African production or a Hollywood production or what?? And whatever it is, will it be released to a large scale global audience or just amongst cricket playing nations??
Will it be more of a commercial movie or a documentary?

Mr Casson

Cricketer Of The Year
chekmeout said:
Is this going to be an Indian production or a South African production or a Hollywood production or what?? And whatever it is, will it be released to a large scale global audience or just amongst cricket playing nations??
Hollywood wouldn't touch cricket with a bargepole.

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
chekmeout said:
****** thriller...

Buddhmaster

International Captain
I don't really know the full story of everything that happened witht his, but the movie sounds like a good idea.