• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Hansie Cronje movie

PY

International Coach
Slow Love™ said:
For example, "I'd never hit a woman, under any circumstances" or PY's acknowledgement that there are exceptions to the rule, but he wouldn't make any exceptions for the exceptions. It's irrational.
My exact words being:
PY said:
I guess that is true but my personal safety would be much more in danger from most men than women. There's odd exceptions but there's exceptions to most things.
What I was saying is that to be honest, there is only the odd exception where I'd find a woman more danger to my physical safety (no mention of mental :p) and they are almost all when a woman is armed with something other than her fists/handbag. Nothing to do with hitting a women exceptions, just my personal safety.

I guess the main thing is the second part of my post which says I couldn't find it in myself to smack a lady. Call it ***ist, call it stupid, call it what you will.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
12th Man said:
N.S.Sidhu had hit a person and he died. It was not intention to kill and not thus murder accoding to law. The case went for around 10 years and was resolved 2-4 years ago. Sidhu is still apologetic and more than sorry for the mishap and helps out the man's family as he can.

Irrepairable damage done though.

C_C

International Captain
Suggesting, as C_C & Richard seem to be doing, that no difference in response is appropriate regarding male & female assailants is simply wrong. I've heard nothing to convince me otherwise.
You must be blind as a bat, no offence, because that is the central nexus of this thread.
You have utterly failed to justify your position and sidestepped the issue- you brought up the 'strength' idea but never explained why a girl of same strength/height is more abbhorrable to hit than a guy....

CC, if a girl(shall we say of weight 8 and a half stone, 5ft 3,an average woman who doesnt go wieght trianing etc)went up to you in a pub or club and punched you in the face once and walked away (for an unknown reason), would you go after her an deck her?(So no self defense in this situation, this would be a simple act of revenge).

Would you be imclined to refrain from hitting her back?
or would you be inclined to go after her and give her as good as she gave (ie one punch in the face, by you a bloke I will assume is an average 12stone, 5 ft 10)?

A fairly simple answer is required!!!!!
To be honest, i dont know for sure. People say a lotta things but from my experience, the mood of a person is a central decisive issue.... put it this way: say i found out that my dad died or i just broke up with my girlfriend, then all bets are off.
But here's what i would do in a normal 'regular day' situation:

I dont 'go after' someone after they've walked away- that is imbecellic and perpetrating the situation from my point of view. I usually respond instantaneously either way...

If i land any blows, it would be while she was hitting me or immediately after her punch.

If she is as small as you say and doesnt know any fighting, i might take pity on her and not clock her back- merely restrain myself. If she does know fighting,then i am going at it full blast, no questions asked, not an iota of remorse.

But that is besides the point. The fundamental point i am making is, given that the other person is the primary aggressor, i wouldnt differentiate based on gender. I am equally likely/unlikely to clock her or a guy of the same dimensions you've mentioned.

Unomaas

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Sure did in 2008 called Hansie its not great.
Totally agree that the movie (by Hollywood standards) was not good but then again, it had a very limited budget. The actual cricket scenes in the movie were bog awful! But when the movie premiered in SA cinema's, theaters were packed although lots of viewers left with disappointment after the screenings still left with the question of "Why did you do it"...a question that will forever remain unanswered. The movie did however reconfirm (at least from my observations and conversations with people) the love and admiration that people still had for Hansie...an observation reinforced by the attendance at his funeral and the regard that people felt for him.

Unomaas

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Money.

Oh look, an answer.
I walked into that retort in my carelessness to elucidate

To explain...

Hansie Cronje from a young age was raised to be a leader. He was the ultimate expression of Afrikaanerdom...virtuous, pious and upstanding. His elevation to the Protea's captaincy was a beacon of hope to all Afrikaaners of SA because while the then ANC had taken over all political spheres, an Afrikaaner was still the captain of one of the leading SA sporting institutions, itself a victory for Afrikaaners who had suddenly become a minority and whose own political clout had waned to nothing.

Hansie then betrayed a whole people in his shallow act of greed and corruption...that in itself an anti-thesis to pure Afrikaanerdom.

So when people ask him why he did it...they are essentially asking him whether pure simple greed was enough of a motivator to betray a whole people and culture?

During the presidential commission into Hansie's crimes, he never explained in detail why he did it. Of course there were alot of theories ranging from fear of reprisal on him and his family for spilling the beans to lying to protect someone else.

The theory that captures my imagination the most is the explanation that Hansie was at the center of political forces that undermined his captaincy seeking to promote quota's in his team and so undo all the hard work he had done in molding a team that could challenge the world. To go from having power over your cricketing destiny to becoming a puppet to the whims of others must have been galling. He then became disillusioned and adopted an attitude of "If nobody else cares, why should I?". This led to him undermining his own team for his own benefit in an act of rebellion. This theory captures my imagination because those theoretical feelings resonate in many people.

Of course, its only a theory and will remain as such because the absolute truth lies buried with Hansie.