• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Top Batsmen in World Cricket today

biased indian

International Coach
FaaipDeOiad said:
Sehwag is a quality batsman, but I wouldn't exactly back him to bat for his team if they were down and under pressure. He's played one innings like that in my memory, but his tendancy to play risky shots and give chances isn't worth quite so much when you aren't simply trying to pile on the runs. Laxman has the ability to take apart the best bowling attacks with devastating aggression without throwing his wicket away, even if he lacks consistency to some degree.
i think that line will best suit to sehwag :D :D

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
tooextracool said:
sehwag
martyn
dravid
ponting
gilchrist
kallis
lara
katich
strauss
thorpe
ive left tendulkar out because i dont think hes anywhere near as good as he used to be, and i really doubt that he will be again. ive left inzy out cause i think hes overrated, but did come extremely close to making that list.
Aren't Katich and Strauss a touch unproven as of yet? We haven't seen Katich play in seaming conditions, and we haven't seen Strauss face a quality spinner. Seems a bit early to put them in any list like these, even though I think both are quality players. I'd wait until the Ashes for both, personally. Strauss will face McGrath and Warne and Katich will probably play at least one match on a greenish wicket.

tooextracool

International Coach
yea they are, but i would be extremely surprised if either of them fail against spin or pace.i wont rule it out though, but from what ive seen so far from them, they've looked extremely capable against both kinds of bowlers.

hindsy

Cricket Spectator
Brian Lara
Rahul Dravid
Jaques Kallis
Ricky Ponting
Justin Langer
Hamish Marshall
Adam Gilchrist
Ricky Ponting
Sachin Tendulkar
Virender Sehwag

p.s. Special award to Simon Katich for playing for my grade club - Go Randwick Petersham!!!!

shaka

International Regular
tooextracool said:
sehwag
martyn
dravid
ponting
gilchrist
kallis
lara
katich
strauss
thorpe
ive left tendulkar out because i dont think hes anywhere near as good as he used to be, and i really doubt that he will be again. ive left inzy out cause i think hes overrated, but did come extremely close to making that list.
When i read that i thought I was looking at most of the Australian batting lineup, :D :D :D Martyn doesnt deserve it, and neither does Katich

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
shaka said:
When i read that i thought I was looking at most of the Australian batting lineup, :D :D :D Martyn doesnt deserve it, and neither does Katich
Eh? Martyn was one of the top players in the world last year, and while Katich is unproven there are other Australians who could get spots there. Four Australians in the top 10 is not excessive in my view. There's only one Australian who fits into the top 5, and that's Ponting, but the rest of the top 10 could well have 3-4 Australians in it. Langer, Hayden, Martyn and Gilchrist at least deserve a look.

tooextracool

International Coach
shaka said:
give me one good reason why martyn isnt one of the top batsmen in world cricket today?

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
aussie

tooextracool said:
because he has such a poor record over the last 2 years?
Yeah thats true tec and feankly i dont think thorphy has ever been rated one of the best batsmen in world cricket, he's a very reliable and dependable batsmen but i dont know if he is in the same callible of a tenudlkar, lara, ponting or dravid.

C_C

International Captain
top batsmen TODAY:

1. Lara
2. Dravid
3. Ponting
4. Kallis
5. Hayden
6. Sehwag
7. Tendulkar
8. Gillchrist
9. Martyn
10. Sangakkara

Swervy

International Captain
C_C said:
top batsmen TODAY:

1. Lara
2. Dravid
3. Ponting
4. Kallis
5. Hayden
6. Sehwag
7. Tendulkar
8. Gillchrist
9. Martyn
10. Sangakkara
this is what I dont understand...some people seem to think Englands bowling is a weak link, and yet people dont rate the English batting.

It makes me wonder how England have won so many games recently!!!!

C_C

International Captain
Sometimes team effort wins you matches more than individual brilliance.......NZ for the past 3-4 years is another example.

Whether one is a top candidate or not is simply a question of hwo one lines up against the rest.....Strauss MAY be one but he has too little experience to be considered....same with petersen. Tresco is good but Hayden,Langer,Sehwag,Gibbs and Smith are better. Vaughan is pulling a ganguly- start really well then fade gradually.
Butcher is dogged but surely you can think of a few dozen batsmen better than him...Thorpe is class but i dont think he makes the top 10 though- top 15 yes. Flintoff.....perhaps top 20-25.....so who else is left ?

Similarly with top 10 bowlers....Harmison or Hoggard have a good chance of creeping into the list but they are all behind McGrath,Gillespie,Warne,Murali and Kumble......so that is top 5 outta the window

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
tooextracool said:
sehwag
martyn
dravid
ponting
gilchrist
kallis
lara
katich
strauss
thorpe
Strauss?? I know hes made a good start, but this early in his career??

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Top 11 (no order)

Lara
Ponting
Gilchrist
Langer
Martyn
Sehwag
Dravid
Laxman
Tendulkar