• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Future ****Stars**** of Australian Cricket

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Neil Pickup said:
Tassie seamer Griffiths? Coming to play as pro at Bacup (dad's side of the family's home town) in the Lancashire League this summer... maybe I'll be able to catch a look.
He should be a very good acquisition.

To me, he has the makings of a Paul Reiffel type bowler - sharp without being express, good seam position, accurate with good stamina. Sometimes, he doesnt look much but he keeps coming and seems to have a good temperament

Time will tell if he can take the next step but he has all the makings of being a very good 3rd seamer without being a game breaker.

tooextracool

International Coach
Richard said:
OK... Alan Mullally as good as Inness, let alone Davidson and Wasim Akram...
Alan Mullally, funnily, is exactly the same as Bracken (and Charl Willoughby, too, for that matter) in that he can swing the ball round corners at the domestic level but somehow never really managed to in Tests. And hence he was very, very disappointing.
Superb ODI bowler, of course.
possibly because the conditions in domestic cricket have assisted him in doing so?
and i dont think bracken has been particularly brilliant at the domestic level either.

Mr Casson

Cricketer Of The Year
tooextracool said:
possibly because the conditions in domestic cricket have assisted him in doing so?
and i dont think bracken has been particularly brilliant at the domestic level either.
Sounds like you've certainly seen a lot of him at domestic level then. 8-) Maybe the coverage overseas is more comprehensive than what we get here?

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
aussie

tooextracool said:
i dont think bracken has been particularly brilliant at the domestic level either.
well of late he has 50 odd wicket in the pura cup plus he bowled exceptionally well in the final againts queensland, i would say thats pretty close to brilliant

tooextracool

International Coach
Mr Casson said:
Sounds like you've certainly seen a lot of him at domestic level then. 8-) Maybe the coverage overseas is more comprehensive than what we get here?
no i've never claimed to have watched him in domestic cricket, but perhaps you'd like to explain why he was averaging in the mis 30s in domestic cricket for the last 3 years?

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
tooextracool said:
no i've never claimed to have watched him in domestic cricket, but perhaps you'd like to explain why he was averaging in the mis 30s in domestic cricket for the last 3 years?
He hasn't? His record in 2004/05 in the Pura Cup was 43 wickets in 11 matches @ 18.79. Not bad if you ask me.

Mr Casson

Cricketer Of The Year
tooextracool said:
No I wouldn't like to explain it; especially without seeing him myself. But you seem to know everything, so I was asking you.

tooextracool

International Coach
FaaipDeOiad said:
He hasn't? His record in 2004/05 in the Pura Cup was 43 wickets in 11 matches @ 18.79. Not bad if you ask me.
i was referring to his previous 3 years. this is apprently his only successful full season hes ever had.

tooextracool

International Coach
Mr Casson said:
No I wouldn't like to explain it; especially without seeing him myself. But you seem to know everything, so I was asking you.
i havent seen him either, nor did i claim i did. but ive seen him at the intl level, and hes really the worst bowler ive seen in a long time.

Mr Casson

Cricketer Of The Year
tooextracool said:
i havent seen him either, nor did i claim i did. but ive seen him at the intl level, and hes really the worst bowler ive seen in a long time.
Fair enough... you did qualify it with "I think he is..." etc., so I suppose I can't criticise your opinion.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
aussie

tooextracool said:
hes really the worst bowler ive seen in a long time.
You have got ot be kidding tec, we all know his test record to date isn't anything to right home about but he has a good ODI record 28 wicket in 17 matches at an average of 19 and i know people always say in ODI batsmen dont need to paly shoots of good balls and other reasons but no matter what, the bloke had to bowl in the situation given to him and its a good start. I remember in the TVS Cup in India in 2003 when australia were over their with no McGrath, Gillespie or Lee and Bracken Lead the attack and Kept that superb Indian batting lineup down so i dont know how u can say that mate

social

Richard said:
Nope, but as you know a team of bowlers averaging 29 will regularly concede 600 or so, which, also, won't win that many matches.
400 followed by 200, or so. And it'll be more than that sometimes, less on others.
What about run out?

social

tooextracool said:
You need to get out more.

tooextracool

International Coach
aussie said:
You have got ot be kidding tec, we all know his test record to date isn't anything to right home about but he has a good ODI record 28 wicket in 17 matches at an average of 19 and i know people always say in ODI batsmen dont need to paly shoots of good balls and other reasons but no matter what, the bloke had to bowl in the situation given to him and its a good start. I remember in the TVS Cup in India in 2003 when australia were over their with no McGrath, Gillespie or Lee and Bracken Lead the attack and Kept that superb Indian batting lineup down so i dont know how u can say that mate
no hes not a poor ODI bowler, hes actually a fairly decent one, but anyone who thought he would be a good test bowler was obviously under the influence of alcohol.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
aussie

tooextracool said:
but anyone who thought he would be a good test bowler was obviously under the influence of alcohol.
hehehe, well at this stage yes, but ya never know what the future holds for bracken he has got potential

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
marc71178 said:
Firstly I don't know that.

Secondly a side scoring 600 over 2 innings won't win many games at all.
So 400 followed by 200 won't win many games?
It won't win them on exceptionally flat pitches, no, but even now on most pitches 400 will put you in the driving seat.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
social said:
Very good figures considering that he plays half his games at Bellerive Oval.
Bellerive Oval that is pretty similar to most Test-match wickets going around.
A team of bowlers with First-Class averages in the 29 bracket, and likely to rise, will not lead to many low totals.