• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Will you be a walker?

Answer me!

• Yes I will walk

Votes: 14 24.6%
  • No I will not walk

Votes: 36 63.2%
  • I'm undecided

Votes: 7 12.3%

• Total voters

ReallyCrazy

Banned
Lets suppose that you are an international cricket player. Will you be a walker or not? i.e if you know that you have nicked the ball but the umpire gives you not out, will you walk or will you stay?

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
If the umpire gives you not out, you're not out. Whether or not you've touched it, you're not out. If I know I'm out and the umpire has not yet made the decision, I shall walk. Otherwise, I've not really a choice, do I?

Langeveldt

Soutie
Whats the point in walking? You are going to get some duff decisions, you may as well take the luck when it comes..

I'd go mad on a team mate who decided he would walk, It's a team game, not one where you go feeding your individual conscience..

steds

Hall of Fame Member
I'd walk if I knew I was out, but if I knew I wasn't out and was given out I'd only leave the crease for the toilet or food(if I was really desperate)

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I'd like to think that I would be a walker. However, usually when I knick 'em it is that obvious that if I stand there I look like an idiot.

dro87

U19 12th Man
Aussies say: You only walk when your ****ing car breaks down right? However it depends... If even fine leg heard the nick i would walk... Put if thw wk didn't... i probably would stay in...

BoyBrumby

Englishman
You've gotta let the ump make the decision. Otherwise you're slitting your own throat.

I'm sure anyone who has played has had a decision that rankles a bit. One I still remember vividly was getting hit on the upper arm & being given caught behind. If you're a walker you get the worst of both worlds; you still get the duff decisions & you've walked for the marginals where you may've got the benefit of the doubt.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Langeveldt said:
Whats the point in walking? You are going to get some duff decisions, you may as well take the luck when it comes..

I'd go mad on a team mate who decided he would walk, It's a team game, not one where you go feeding your individual conscience..
I don't agree with casting aside morals and such fibres for the purpose of performing a job or even participating in a team sport. Yes, there's no "I" in team, but some things should not be compromised. I'm not about to explode on someone for not walking and it's ridiculous IMO that anyone should do so to a "walker". It's a personal choice and should be respected.

Mr Mxyzptlk

BoyBrumby said:
You've gotta let the ump make the decision. Otherwise you're slitting your own throat.

I'm sure anyone who has played has had a decision that rankles a bit. One I still remember vividly was getting hit on the upper arm & being given caught behind. If you're a walker you get the worst of both worlds; you still get the duff decisions & you've walked for the marginals where you may've got the benefit of the doubt.
A walker strolls off when he/she knows he/she is out. Marginal decisions don't come into it really. Any player who is unsure and walks off at a 50/50 decision, I can't agree with. If you know you're out and the umpire is uncertain, walk away.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
A walker strolls off when he/she knows he/she is out. Marginal decisions don't come into it really. Any player who is unsure and walks off at a 50/50 decision, I can't agree with. If you know you're out and the umpire is uncertain, walk away.
Fair enough.

I'd still stand my ground tho; what would you do when you know you aren't out & the ump gives it?

Mr Mxyzptlk

BoyBrumby said:
Fair enough.

I'd still stand my ground tho; what would you do when you know you aren't out & the ump gives it?
You comply with the rules and walk off in a calm fashion.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
You comply with the rules and walk off in a calm fashion.
& we're back to my argument about slitting your own throat! :D

I think non-walking at least has the merit of consistency. Allowing the ump to make all the calls will mean one is about even in the credit/debit column at the end of the season.

Scallywag

Banned
BoyBrumby said:
& we're back to my argument about slitting your own throat! :D

I think non-walking at least has the merit of consistency. Allowing the ump to make all the calls will mean one is about even in the credit/debit column at the end of the season.
Depends on what you want to get out of the game, as someone suggested earlier the umpiring in local games is not as good as higher grades. In local competitions you are playing with friends and a little honesty helps to make friends and keep the game on a friendly basis. Having respect from the opposition is more important to some in the local cricket than extra runs on their average. I've only played against one test player and he was only concerned about his game and not the local comp, and so he should if he wants to become a successful player.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Scallywag said:
Depends on what you want to get out of the game, as someone suggested earlier the umpiring in local games is not as good as higher grades. In local competitions you are playing with friends and a little honesty helps to make friends and keep the game on a friendly basis. Having respect from the opposition is more important to some in the local cricket than extra runs on their average. I've only played against one test player and he was only concerned about his game and not the local comp, and so he should if he wants to become a successful player.
Yeah, fair enough. I play for fun (but I do have a competitive streak, TBF!). I always accept the umps decision, but I do so in the knowledge that as a non-walker I take the rough with the smooth.

Walkers get the rough with the rough!

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Not walking is cheating the game.
Batsmen get dropped catches to even-up poor Umpiring decisions, and then they still get far more good luck than bad.
And no-one ever walks for even the plumbest lbws, you can never know as well as an Umpire, so you get them on top of the dropped-catches.
Non-walkers get 3 smooth and 1 rough.
Walkers get 2 smooth and 1 rough.
And the biggest hypocrites are those who have ever not walked knowing they're out and have ever made a fuss having got a bad decision.
If you always walk you've got the right to kick-up a fuss.
It wouldn't apply to me because any poor decision against me is never going to be consequential, I'm such a poor batsman.
But I did hurl my bat in the air once when given run-out attempting the winning single off the last ball when even the bowler who broke the stumps before long admitted I'd made my ground. And as far as I'm concerned I was justified.

benchmark00

Im no walker, thats for sure... I always think that if youre a walker, you dont value your wicket as much...