Cricket Betting Site Betway
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Non-whites in SA cricket

Non-whites in SA cricket

This post isn't about top-level cricket, this is about grassroots cricket. There seems to be a bit of a worry that the increase of non-whites in SA cricket is harming the standard, and resulting in the death of cricket in SA. I am captaining a team which is playing in the sixth league of the East Rand cricket league near Johannesburg. The team is mainly schoolboys, with one or two guys who have finished school recently. The best batsman in the side is a 19-year old Indian guy, and the best bowler is a 16-year old black kid. I only took the team over in Feb, and so far under my captaincy we've played three and won two. The game we lost, we were murdered, all out for 46, losing by nine wickets. The team that beat us was from the black township of Wattville, and made up entirely of blacks. These guys don't even have nets or a homeground, yet they beat a team from the suburbs with pretty good facilities pretty easily. The two teams we beat were both almost exclusively white. I for one am not worried about the future of cricket in SA. Cricket is well on its way to becoming a truly national sport, and when it is, South Africa will be unstoppable in world cricket.

for a second there i thought you had contradicted yourself, but now i see what your saying. i guess people just have a problem with the idea (i'm not going to say whether it is still happening or not, i haven't been following it closely enough) that at the highest level, blacks are getting an armchair ride into test cricket at the expense of better players. but over the long term, hopefully it can lead to greater participation through a larger number of role models for the young black kids, and therefore greater depth in SA cricket. but i think calling yourself "unstoppable"...bit overenthusiastic?

Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox
    for a second there i thought you had contradicted yourself, but now i see what your saying. i guess people just have a problem with the idea (i'm not going to say whether it is still happening or not, i haven't been following it closely enough) that at the highest level, blacks are getting an armchair ride into test cricket at the expense of better players. but over the long term, hopefully it can lead to greater participation through a larger number of role models for the young black kids, and therefore greater depth in SA cricket. but i think calling yourself "unstoppable"...bit overenthusiastic?
    Let him dream. He might well end up being right.
    Only two states to be in - Queensland and drunk.

International Regular chris.hinton's Avatar
    is the East rand league a good league?

Not really

Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    but i think calling yourself "unstoppable"...bit overenthusiastic?
    Not neccesarily.
    About time someone other than West Indies and Australia dominated the World game.
    RD
    Appreciating cricket's greatest legend ever - HD Bird...............Funniest post (intentionally) ever.....Runner-up.....Third.....Fourth
    (Accidental) founder of Twenty20 Is Boring Society. Click and post to sign-up.
    chris.hinton: h
    FRAZ: Arshad's are a long gone stories
    RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990-15/4/2006

State Vice-Captain
    for a second there i thought you had contradicted yourself
    I thought so too, but an interesting post in the end. Clearly there's been a massive increase in the potential talent pool since the apartheid era ended. I don't see any particular reason why South Africa can't become a dominant force in the next decade.

Pinball Champion!
    There of course is the ingrained notion that whites play cricket and rugby, blacks play football..

The day that a cricketer can take to the test arena to prove himself as a South African and not a black cricketer will be a great one.
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    Don't like using my iPod dock. Ruins battery life too much.
    Quote Originally Posted by benchmark00 View Post
    Thanks Dick Smith. Will remember to subscribe to your newsletter for more electronic fun facts.

International Regular chris.hinton's Avatar
    it will not happen

Pinball Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by chris.hinton
    it will not happen
    And the fact that someone like you is telling me that makes me even more hopeful

School Boy/Girl Cricketer username1234's Avatar
    This post isn't about top-level cricket, this is about grassroots cricket. There seems to be a bit of a worry that the increase of non-whites in SA cricket is harming the standard, and resulting in the death of cricket in SA. I am captaining a team which is playing in the sixth league of the East Rand cricket league near Johannesburg. The team is mainly schoolboys, with one or two guys who have finished school recently. The best batsman in the side is a 19-year old Indian guy, and the best bowler is a 16-year old black kid. I only took the team over in Feb, and so far under my captaincy we've played three and won two. The game we lost, we were murdered, all out for 46, losing by nine wickets. The team that beat us was from the black township of Wattville, and made up entirely of blacks. These guys don't even have nets or a homeground, yet they beat a team from the suburbs with pretty good facilities pretty easily. The two teams we beat were both almost exclusively white. I for one am not worried about the future of cricket in SA. Cricket is well on its way to becoming a truly national sport, and when it is, South Africa will be unstoppable in world cricket
    you guys would prolly of had more of a chance of being unstoppable if all the white's stayed in south africa and there was no affirmative action then just imagine how good your team would of come.

Not really
    well there's your answer maybe all the good white players play in the top grade.

Hi jot!

SA returned to world cricket (IIRC) in 1992. I have to be honest & say the 16 year-old me made the lazily racist assumption that in ten years you would be unstoppable.

I'd grown up with Allan Lamb & Robin Smith as the mainstays of our middle order & a seemingly never ending conveyor-belt of magnificent fast bowlers destroying us for the Windies. My juvenile assumption was that SA would be able to tap into a similar source of world-class quicks from your majority population.

This hasn't come to pass. After reading Peter Oborne's wonderful biography of Basil D'Oliveira I can say there is no shortage of interest in cricket from the non-white population in SA, so the reasons for their non-emergence are puzzling.
    Cricket Web's current Premier League Tipping Champion

- As featured in The Independent.

"Ben Stokes, that most unlikely saint, worked the second of the two miracles he needs for his canonisation." - The Guardian's Andy Bell on the England all-rounder's Headingley ton

Because the idea that black-cultured guys mostly play football ahead of cricket is still far more true, even if not quite as much as it used to be.
    There might be a plentiful interest, but the way I understand it it's still a very small compared to the white-cultured.
    For instance, only 11% of Nguni and Sotho speakers (ie most black South Africans) apparently showed an interest in WC2003.
    Which is a real shame.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard
    Because the idea that black-cultured guys mostly play football ahead of cricket is still far more true, even if not quite as much as it used to be.
    There might be a plentiful interest, but the way I understand it it's still a very small compared to the white-cultured.
    For instance, only 11% of Nguni and Sotho speakers (ie most black South Africans) apparently showed an interest in WC2003.
    Which is a real shame.
    I can't speak with first-hand certainty, but Oborne paints a convincing picture of a thriving non-white cricket scene in the 50s & 60s.

This may be peculiar to Cape Town, of course. However, given that non-whites outnumber whites in SA by over 4 to 1, interest by 11% should still equate to 3 or 4 players in a team.

Really? I didn't realise it was quite that much, I knew there were more black-skinned guys but I didn't realise they were 4 out of 5.
    The 11% figure is still very disappointng.
    It wouldn't be like Peter Obourne to paint a wannabe picture, mind - he can be a bit of a dreamer, and he does seem to be something close to obsessed with the idea of a unified Africa.

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information