• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

World Crickets speed demons

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
There is many of them around but these are the bowlers that make you want to watch cricket, with their long run ups and thundering pace are a real sight and to fall into this bracket for me you got to deliver it at over 95 mph in flat out conditons not in places light south africa esprcially where ur at altititude and sppeds would be abnormal so here the are: Lee, Akhtar, Bond, Harmsion, Sami and Edwards. To u blokes who is the best for me its Brett Lee

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Tino Best is at least as quick as Fidel Edwards.

The most developed quick bowlers in the world are Shoaib and Brett. Harmison strikes me as a fast-medium/fast bowler. That is, he can bowl deadly spells, but when he's off, he's ordinary fast-medium. Brett bowls fast whether he's on or off, hence he's a more developed quick bowler.

A well-developed bowler of pace is another matter. That would be the likes of Marshall, Lillee etc. None exist at the moment, though Jason Gillespie is close.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
aussie

Mr Mxyzptlk said:
Tino Best is at least as quick as Fidel Edwards.

The most developed quick bowlers in the world are Shoaib and Brett. Harmison strikes me as a fast-medium/fast bowler. That is, he can bowl deadly spells, but when he's off, he's ordinary fast-medium. Brett bowls fast whether he's on or off, hence he's a more developed quick bowler.

A well-developed bowler of pace is another matter. That would be the likes of Marshall, Lillee etc. None exist at the moment, though Jason Gillespie is close.
I like ur last poitn ther mate. Yeah i agree that best is as quick has edwards but edwards has passed that 95 mph delivery though, but i dont hink think u can say harmison is fast medium he goes over 90 consistently and in every series since hte carribean tour last year he has produced at least one delivery over 95 mph

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
aussie

Langeveldt said:
Elton Chigumbera
is that zimbabwe guy that quick r u sure i rememebr seeing him bowl when england were in zimbabwe last novemeber i dont recall him bowling at those speeds

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
Deja moo said:
Are you aware of Lees test record in comparison to Shoaibs ?
During the series out here as a whole Brett Lee was more useful.... to me that says something given that he didn't even bowl a ball....

Arrow

U19 Vice-Captain
I wish the poms would stop pushing harmison as an express bowler because hes not even close. His average would be in the 130s and i doubt hes even got close to 150 let alone over it.

wahindiawah

Banned
aussie said:
To u blokes who is the best for me its Brett Lee

His performance in test matches have been an embaressment so far (that doesn't mean he can't deliver in future ) untill he get a place in test team and delivers, he can't be considered atall.

wahindiawah

Banned
age_master said:
During the series out here as a whole Brett Lee was more useful.... to me that says something given that he didn't even bowl a ball....
He was usefull in onedayers only and that too against Pakistan against whome any pacer can look brilliant.

What has he achieved in Test matches??

wahindiawah

Banned
Just had a look at Lee's record. The guy has played 37 matches, taken 139 wkts at an ave of 31.66 !!

An ave of above 30 is certainly very poor, on top he averaged 37 in last 5 test matches. Unless he plays test matches and improved his record he can't be considered the best especially since he has the luxury of NOT bowling to Australian batsmen.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Arrow said:
I wish the poms would stop pushing harmison as an express bowler because hes not even close. His average would be in the 130s and i doubt hes even got close to 150 let alone over it.
He's hit 96 in the last 12 months - usually just under 90 though.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
wahindiawah said:
An ave of above 30 is certainly very poor, on top he averaged 37 in last 5 test matches. Unless he plays test matches and improved his record he can't be considered the best especially since he has the luxury of NOT bowling to Australian batsmen.
An average of 30 is very poor? So the likes of Chaminda Vaas, Michael Kasprowicz, Makhaya Ntini, Matthew Hoggard, Andrew Flintoff, Danish Kaneria etc are very poor bowlers?

Lee's current average is in my view no more reflective of his abilities than the record of 42 wickets @ 16 with a strike rate of 32 he had before his first serious injury. A better measurement of his abilities will come out in the future as he plays more test matches. Personaly I'd expect him to finish with an average in the high 20s and an excellent strike rate, as one might expect from a quality fast bowler. Perhaps he will get the average down a bit further if he continues to develop through the later part of his career.