• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

World Crickets speed demons

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Richard said:
But just because it had a bit more turn than an Australian surface doesn't mean it had enough to make a fingerspinner dangerous.
Very well. It had enough turn to make Harbhajan dangerous.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Top_Cat said:
Only when Warnie was injured. They played very few Tests together so unless you mean by regular, 'regularly in and out of the side', well that's not quite correct. And MacGill is generally a world-class bowler. He's not in Warnie's class but MacGill's right behind him and Kumble.
Mostly when MacGill's played with Warne it's resulted in Warne bowling poorly.
This "but for Warne MacGill would have played 100 Tests" is such rubbish it's untrue. MacGill has actually benefited from the stop-start nature of his Test-career - well, at least he had, until 2002\03.
Only due to injury. Even then, Williams was bowling well enough to command a spot ahead of most other quicks in the country. As for Bracken, well if you can't say something nice............

Come on, man; these were extenuating circumstances. ALl things being equal and zero injuries, they wouldn't have made it anywhere near the side. But they were still bowling well enough domestically to warrant a place next in line (except Bracken..........).

And again, deserved his spot and did his job (although Kasper may have had stronger claims). Bichel was one of the best bowlers in Australia for those periods so his selection was entirely justifiable. And even then he had to work very hard to keep his place because as soon as he showed any signs of a form dip, Lee got the nod.
The point of these is that, while they only got in because of injuries, they are the best that the injury-cover amounts to (if Kasprowicz and Inness had to be ignored) and hence to get in did not require someone to be an especially good bowler.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
aussie

Richard said:
Just noticed Harbhajan didn't actually play at Nagpur.
well even if the turbnator didn't play faaip point still stands that whoever played in the nagpur test (Kumble & karthik) the pitch still had enough in it to keep those spinners interested

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Just interesting that he said Harbhajan was turning it square when he didn't play. :) Think he might have mixed something up with something else.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Richard said:
Just noticed Harbhajan didn't actually play at Nagpur.
I know. Read back and you will notice that I was talking about Bangalore. Nagpur, by Indian standards, was quite a green wicket with a lot more in it for the seamers than the spinners. It had a bit of turn of course, but nothing major and it helped Gillespie out more than anybody else.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Hang on a minute... I said:
Richard said:
Compared to most places in The World Nagpur had plenty in it... does that mean fingerspinners such as Harbhajan were turning it dangerously? Or does it just mean it had a bit more than nothing in it for the fingerspinners (because a standard wicket Worldwide has just that - nothing for fingerspin)?
And you said:
FaaipDeOiad said:
Harbhajan, as he usually does on Indian pitches, was practically turning it square.
which suggested to me that you were talking about Nagpur... :confused:

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
FaaipDeOiad said:
Bangalore might have been a bit like Adelaide the last time India visited on the 4th and 5th days... by Australian standards it was a raging turner. Nagpur wasn't spin friendly no, it was still more turn than you would get on a green Australian wicket however.
Richard said:
But just because it had a bit more turn than an Australian surface doesn't mean it had enough to make a fingerspinner dangerous.
FaaipDeOiad said:
Very well. It had enough turn to make Harbhajan dangerous.
I was talking about Bangalore. Nagpur didn't have a hell of a lot in it for spinners, and Harbhajan didn't even play.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
ok now seems a good time to bring back this Thread with the Emergence of Freddie as a speed demon & the return of 007 :cool: , so now who do we reckon is the best:

1. Lee
2. Akhtar
3. Bond
4. Freddie
5. Harmison
6. Sami
7. Edwards
8. Best
9. Lawson
10. Steyn

Note: I couldn't include Tait since he hasn't played international cricket, so who do you blokes reckon it is now, its a toughie even i cant decide.

Demolition Man

State Vice-Captain
=1. Lee
=1 Akhtar
3 Daylight

Harmison gets alot of bouch that is how he generates his speed, he is not an express bowler, he simply is to tall to be a speed demon like lee and akhtar. He is not in the same league as them in terms of genuine fast bowlers.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Demolition Man said:
=1. Lee
=1 Akhtar
3 Daylight

Harmison gets alot of bouch that is how he generates his speed, he is not an express bowler, he simply is to tall to be a speed demon like lee and akhtar. He is not in the same league as them in terms of genuine fast bowlers.
So?

Count the stitches on Ricky Ponting's cheek then ask him whether he thinks Harmison is fast enough

Run like Inzy

U19 12th Man
I'd agree with this selection but i would put Bond down to 5th and push fred and harmy up a place each. I think although he bowled well against Zimbabwe it's been a while since he faced Australia and did so well and he has not really been tested by an opposition like that since due to his injuries so currently i would say wait to see how he performs against 'real' test playing nations.

Shahid_afridi

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
aussie said:
There is many of them around but these are the bowlers that make you want to watch cricket, with their long run ups and thundering pace are a real sight and to fall into this bracket for me you got to deliver it at over 95 mph in flat out conditons not in places light south africa esprcially where ur at altititude and sppeds would be abnormal so here the are: Lee, Akhtar, Bond, Harmsion, Sami and Edwards. To u blokes who is the best for me its Brett Lee
IMO it is sami.he always tries a lot and wont give up(eg as fast as shoaib)