• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The indian what if debate

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
what i am proposing is a very simple idea, what are your opinions on the following?

if india had sangakkara, ahktar and strauss be the best team in the world ahead of all the other nations? sangakkara would not only add another fantastically talented batsman to indias ranks but also solve their wicket keeping crisis.

Strauss who is another great batsman would be able to solve the problem position of the batsman to open with sehwag, (although gahmbir has looked reasonable)

and ahktar would no doubt add that extra bit of pace to the bowling attack that india are no doubt lacking but not actually currently possessing a genuine fast bowler.

the question is simple, would this line up beat australia? and indeed ultimately be a better side than the aussies?

1.Sehwag
2.Strauss
3.Dravid
4.Tendulkar
5.Sangakkara(wk)
6.Ganguly(c)
7.Laxman
8.Kumble
9.Harbijan
10.Pathan/Balaji
11.Ahktar

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
India would still have no fighting spirit and tactical common sense and would squander it.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Pratyush said:
India would still have no fighting spirit and tactical common sense and would squander it.
ok well il play devils advocate and lets say for arguments sake that they did have the fighting spirit and tactical common sense in a huge amount.

Swervy

International Captain
sledger said:
ok well il play devils advocate and lets say for arguments sake that they did have the fighting spirit and tactical common sense in a huge amount.
no..because they dont have a top notch bowling attack,and you can have all the batting in the world, but without the bowling, it means zip

ooop..just saw Shoaib in there..but still, he is only really effective for short bursts,and so really the pace side of things there would be pretty poor

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Swervy said:
no..because they dont have a top notch bowling attack,and you can have all the batting in the world, but without the bowling, it means zip
the bowling looks pretty good to me, bear in mind that sehwag, ganguly and tendulkar can all bowl part time, in fact more than part time. and would this batting line up not be superior to australias, ?

biased indian

International Coach
we dont need any keeper or batsmen when we are going abroad would like to have any one of the following Gille ,Macgrath,Pollock and in from two indian bowlers

Swervy

International Captain
sledger said:
the bowling looks pretty good to me, bear in mind that sehwag, ganguly and tendulkar can all bowl part time, in fact more than part time. and would this batting line up not be superior to australias, ?
it might be superior to Australia but the fact is that bowling line up is nowhere near as good as the Aussies.

That Sehwag,ganguly,Tendy bowling arguement doesnt really hold much water for me when it comes to tests...most decent batsmen would tear those three apart

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Swervy said:
it might be superior to Australia but the fact is that bowling line up is nowhere near as good as the Aussies.

That Sehwag,ganguly,Tendy bowling arguement doesnt really hold much water for me when it comes to tests...most decent batsmen would tear those three apart
yes but the differences between the bowling and batting aspescts of each side would be evened out surely, indias better batsman would handle australias better bowlers better, and australias not so good batsman would be up to the test of indias not so good bowling

biased indian

International Coach
sledger said:
yes but the differences between the bowling and batting aspescts of each side would be evened out surely, indias better batsman would handle australias better bowlers better, and australias not so good batsman would be up to the test of indias not so good bowling
it won't, since to win a test u need to take 20 wickets and if u dont have good bowlers u will struggle to WIN matches ya u can draw them

Swervy

International Captain
biased indian said:
it won't, since to win a test u need to take 20 wickets and if u dont have good bowlers u will struggle to WIN matches ya u can draw them
exactly

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Swervy said:
are we not stretching the whole 'lets pretend' thing a bit too far here???
im just raising an intresting issue, so are you suggesting that there is no way that the modified indian team could ever beat australia ? not ever ?

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
sledger said:
im just raising an intresting issue, so are you suggesting that there is no way that the modified indian team could ever beat australia ? not ever ?
Even without modifications India have beaten Australia.

Swervy

International Captain
sledger said:
well India have beaten Australia

I just dont think that bowling line up cuts it really

Swervy

International Captain
sledger said:
ok, but that granted would it be the number one and best test team in the world?
erm...no I dont think it would.

In most cases that bowling line up would struggle to bowl Australia out twice and go on to win games..it may score 400's all over the place, but that wont always win you games

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Swervy said:
well India have beaten Australia

I just dont think that bowling line up cuts it really
Depends on what pitch it is.
On a turner India'll tear anyone apart.