• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The indian what if debate

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
sledger said:
the question is simple, would this line up beat australia? and indeed ultimately be a better side than the aussies?

10.Pathan/Balaji

The answer no is indicated by that.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
They wouldn't be better then Australia, but IMO they'd be much more competitive and obviously would be an overall better team than their current line-up. They have already beaten Australia a few times in the past 4-5 years with a much weaker team than what you have listed, so they definitely could beat Australia. Overall Australia would still be #1.

I've always thought what would happen if we'd have Shoaib or Sangakkara, but never thought what if we had both. Then again its silly to think that, because what if New Zealand had McGrath, Sri Lanka had Dravid etc.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Sehwag309 said:
We need a Reliable Wicket Keeper, and a really good Fast bowler..rest is all good
More than one really good fast bowler I'd say. Australia has 2, possibly 3.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
stupid argument in the first place. while of course it would close the gap and make it more even, your pretty much playing australia with 3.5 bowlers, coz shoaib, in my belief, can't be counted as more than half a bowler while he can only bowl 12-15 overs in a day.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
Mixing players from different teams, this wuld be more appropriate-
  • Sehwag (11)
  • Gambhir
  • Kaif
  • Tendulkar
  • Dravid
  • Yuvraj
  • Flintoff or Cairns but not Agarkar!(18)
  • Pollock(18)
  • Samant or Ratra or someone who can actually keep rather than just bat a bit
  • Kumble(22)
  • Bond/Harmison/anyobody who can bowl really, really fast (16)
And everyone should be fully effective on the field.

SirBloody Idiot

Cricketer Of The Year
It is fairly pointless asking this.

I may as well ask how New Zealand would go with Warne, Hadlee, Bradman, Crowe, McGrath and Hayden.

Swervy

International Captain
SirBloody Idiot said:

I may as well ask how New Zealand would go with Warne, Hadlee, Bradman, Crowe, McGrath and Hayden.
still probably only good in ODI's :D (joking BTW)

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
SirBloody Idiot said:

What are you doing mate? Don't you know the rules? You can only hypothesize with current players.........

Swervy

International Captain
honestbharani said:
What are you doing mate? Don't you know the rules? You can only hypothesize with current players.........
can we not pretend that Bradman etc are current players just to extend the fantastical (is that a word?) element of this thread even further.

I suggest we can have superheroes/cartoon characters in there as well....Batfink would be good I think :D

tooextracool

International Coach
sledger said:
the question is simple, would this line up beat australia? and indeed ultimately be a better side than the aussies?

1.Sehwag
2.Strauss
3.Dravid
4.Tendulkar
5.Sangakkara(wk)
6.Ganguly(c)
7.Laxman
8.Kumble
9.Harbijan
10.Pathan/Balaji
11.Ahktar
no because that bowling attack isnt going to win too many games for you away from home.
and i would definetly have someone else instead of ganguly.

Slats4ever

International Vice-Captain
this thread should be england what if's... they're the closest to us and would need the least amount of players... All I think is that England need is Harbajahn Singh and maybe another pacemen and they would push the aussies... India are a long way off..

chekmeout

U19 Debutant
Slats4ever said:
this thread should be england what if's... they're the closest to us and would need the least amount of players... All I think is that England need is Harbajahn Singh and maybe another pacemen and they would push the aussies... India are a long way off..
India are the only team to have seriously challenged the Aussies.. They managed a draw the test series in Australia 1-1 in December 2003, and had it not been for the rain at Chennai they might have drawn their home series as well... And India is fast closing in on England in the ICC Test Championship.. a 2-0 win against Pakistan would put them in second place...

Last edited: