• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Warne joins England in race for the comeback of 2004

Deja moo

International Captain
Sad to see the Laureus awards go the Grammy way.

One more institution to attach less importance to.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Scallywag said:
Correct me if I'm wrong but playing drunk is illegal in professioal golf.
If it's not it should be.

Can you imagine the problems with wayward balls and clubs flying in to the crowd?!

twctopcat

International Regular
Scallywag said:
Playing any professional sport under the influence of alchol is illegal. And I never said you said diuretics were illegal if you were infering I said you said diuretics were illegal.
No but i thought you insinuated that, or were you telling me random facts for my well being?? Either way John Daly never played under the influence and alcohol is not an illegal drug so he cannot fall into the same bracket as athletes coming back after drug suspensions.

Scallywag

Banned
twctopcat said:
No but i thought you insinuated that, or were you telling me random facts for my well being?? Either way John Daly never played under the influence and alcohol is not an illegal drug so he cannot fall into the same bracket as athletes coming back after drug suspensions.
Warne has not played under the influence of drugs either and diuretics is not illegal.

twctopcat

International Regular
Scallywag said:
Warne has not played under the influence of drugs either and diuretics is not illegal.
Again i didn't say he has, there is no need to point such trivial things out. I've never mentioned Warne once.

Scallywag

Banned
twctopcat said:
Again i didn't say he has, there is no need to point such trivial things out. I've never mentioned Warne once.
Again I didn't say you did. Why do you need to point out trivial things about Daly if there is no need.

twctopcat

International Regular
Scallywag said:
Again I didn't say you did. Why do you need to point out trivial things about Daly if there is no need.
Well you brought up him up and i was clarifying the situation.

Scallywag

Banned
twctopcat said:
Well you brought up him up and i was clarifying the situation.
Why didnt you mention Dalys drunken behavoir got him kicked of the pro golf circuit instead of trying to make him sound like he is worthy of the award.

twctopcat

International Regular
Scallywag said:
Why didnt you mention Dalys drunken behavoir got him kicked of the pro golf circuit instead of trying to make him sound like he is worthy of the award.
Yeah because i said that, nothing of the sort, didn't say if he was a good man, if he'd won x number of tournaments, jeez he is just a big guy who can drive it a hell of a long way with a good short game, thats where my affinity ends, you need to chill out mate and stop starting arguments with poms so much.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
but originally, didn't marion jones leave competition to have a kid with tim montgomery?

warne shouldn't win. his comeback is too trivial compared to that of someone like zanardi. only problem with zanardi's case is has he been winning stuff in his comeback, or just competing?

english cricket team has been good, but i would have thought that they would be better off being nominated next year if they beat the number 1 side in the world, or maybe if they had've won the champions trophy.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
vic_orthdox said:
warne shouldn't win. his comeback is too trivial compared to that of someone like zanardi. only problem with zanardi's case is has he been winning stuff in his comeback, or just competing?
Just competing as far as I'm aware, but that's astonishing enough.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Scallywag said:
Some diuretics are banned, because they help injuries heal.
And Warne had just returned much quicker than excpected from an exceptionally nasty shoulder-injury...
Of course, we don't know whether or not he took diuretics to aid his recovery - all we know is that he had traces of masking-agents. It's perfectly possible that these came from an innocent source. But equally it's possible that he took them to cover the fact he was using diuretics.

biased indian

International Coach
Richard said:
Of course it's entirely inappropriate for ANYONE to be nominated for a comeback when the problems are self-inflicted.
was it self inflicted as far as i know it was his mother who gave it to him :)

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
We don't know that, it's just what he says.
It may or may not be true.
And certainly he doesn't have to blindly take anything his mom gives him - he can check that it doesn't contain banned substances first.

biased indian

International Coach
Profile of ZANARDI for those unaware of him

1980-1987 - Italian kart Championship, debut at the age of 14.
For a period of eight years he continues with the karts becoming a very fast driver and winning three Italian Championship and one European Title

1988 - Italian Formula 3 Championship with Coperchini e Guareschi Team, 12th of the final standing

1989 - Italian F3 Championship with Racing for Italy Team, two 2nd places and two pole positions, 7th in the final standing

1990 - Italian F.3 Championship with RC Motorsport Team, two victories, two second and two third places. Winner of the European Championship 'Europe Cup' in Le Mans, polesitter of the Monaco F.3 Grand Prix

1991 - FIA F.3000 Championship with the Reynard-Mugen of the Team Barone Rampante , nine starts from the front row , one time from the third position , two victories and four second places in ten races .
Due to three mechanical failures he lost the run to the title won by Christian Fittipaldi by five points .
FIA Formula One World Championship with Jordan, last three Grand Prix of the season.
Winner of the prestigious "Casco d'Oro Tricolore " award from the italian weekly Autosprint, as the best italian driver of the year

1992 - Test driver for Benetton with the charge to develop the active suspension system.
FIA Formula One World Championship with Minardi, replacing for three Grands Prix the injured Christian Fittipaldi

1993 - FIA Formula One World Championship with Lotus, 6th place in the Brazilian GP, remarkable the race at Monaco in spite of a failure of the active suspension system
The season of Alessandro had a bad end due to a terrible accident happened at Spa .

1994 - FIA Formula One World Championship with Lotus, at first as test driver and then replacing from the Spanish GP the regular driver Pedro Lamy injured in a big accident during a testing session in Silverstone.

1995 - British Racing Production Championship, GT2 class with a Lotus Elise, one victory(Silverstone)

1996 - PPG Indycar World Series with Target - Chip Ganassi Racing, three victories, six pole positions, started from the first row of the grid in the last eight races of the season, in the lead 26 times with a total of 610 laps led, third in of the final standing with 132 points, winner of the Jim Trueman Rookie of the Year Award .
First place in the standing of the most points scored on road courses (117 in ten races).
Involved in the battle for the title until Vancouver when a doubled driver pushed him into the wall .
Into the racing history the memorable last lap pass over Bryan Herta at the Corkscrew in Laguna Seca.

1997 - PPG CART World Series champion with Target - Chip Ganassi Racing, five victories, three poles, 338 laps led and 17 times on the lead .
During the last eight events he obtained four victories, one second, one third and one fourth place.
He was not present at the last event at Fontana Superspeedway for the reason of two accidents during the practice, replaced by Arie Luyendyk.
Memorable the victory at Cleveland when after two penalties, he did a come back from over the 20th place, doing a great deal of overtakings .
Alessandro continued the streak started in 1996, obtaining the CART records for consecutive pole positions, six, and consecutive front-row starts, 11

1998 - CART FedEx Championship Series champion with Target - Chip Ganassi Racing, seven victories and 14 podiums (record for the CART Championship) but without any pole position

1999 - FIA Formula One World Championship with Team Williams, as best result the seventh place at Spa and at Monza

2000 - Alessandro decided for a so called "sabbatic year" to have more time to spend with the family .
In july a test with the Reynard of his friend Mo Nunn just to give an help to him, in November a rally inside the Autodromo di Monza

2001 - CART FedEx Championship Series with Mo Nunn Racing, as best result a fourth place at Toronto, 23rd of the final standing.
During the American Memorial on the Europeedway at Lausitziring (Germany) he suffered a terrible accident with the consequent loss of both the legs above the knee

2002 - The huge damage to the legs prevent him to return to the racing but, notwithstanding that, he takes part to a couple of races with a special kart, the first one at Montecarlo in October, the second one in Bologna (his birthplace) in December.
In July he flies to Toronto to visit his old american friends undertaken to race the Molson Indy Toronto, he will be asked to wave the start and the finish of the race.

2003 - A year and half later the huge accident, Alessandro returned at Lausitzring to drive a champ car for 13 laps, the same distance he was not able to complete during the race in 2001. In october he returned to race in an official race, the last event of the ETCC 2003 at the wheel of a modified BMW 320i of the BMW Team Italy Spain. At the end of the year the official news that Alessandro signed a contract to race the whole ETCC 2004 for BMW.