• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Bloody hell!

BlackCap_Fan

State Vice-Captain
Ok guys, you probably know alot more about cricket bats than I do, so I was wondering if you can tell me if these cracks a repairable, or even worth it.

Here's the story; there's a guy in my team named Frank. He's one of my friends, and he's a big islander guy who is a hell of alot stronger and taller than I am. Anyway, I let him use my bat in the nets, and after a while he gives the ball a mighty front foot cover drive that just flew off the bat, went for miles. He looks at the bat and says; "Crap, Ben, there's a crack in your bat". These are pretty large images.

Where the handle meets the blade:

Toe end of the bat, PLUS my ***y hand in the background:

The picture of the face didn't turn out right, so I'll try to get it later; there is a long, thin crack from the handle crack to the toe crack.

If you don't think it is repairable, can you recommend a good <$150 size 6 or Harrow bat? I went to a shop and the 'Little Belta' from Kookaburra( I think) felt pretty good.

Slats4ever

International Vice-Captain
woah man that bat looks pretty wasted. u'll find in the junior bat range anything around the $150 range is all really similar. just make sure u get an english willow bat over a kashmir..

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
If it was just the toe, I wouldnt worry.

Unfortunately, the crack from the handle area is basically irreparable and will not only break but is probably affecting its' performance already.

Interms of bats, any of the major manufacturers are OK but dont buy a harrow thinking that you'll grow into it. It's preferable to have a bat that you consider light rather than one which is too heavy.

BlackCap_Fan

State Vice-Captain
Slats4ever said:
woah man that bat looks pretty wasted. u'll find in the junior bat range anything around the $150 range is all really similar. just make sure u get an english willow bat over a kashmir..

Is english willow better than Kashmir? How?

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
BlackCap_Fan said:
Ok guys, you probably know alot more about cricket bats than I do, so I was wondering if you can tell me if these cracks a repairable, or even worth it.

Here's the story; there's a guy in my team named Frank. He's one of my friends, and he's a big islander guy who is a hell of alot stronger and taller than I am. Anyway, I let him use my bat in the nets, and after a while he gives the ball a mighty front foot cover drive that just flew off the bat, went for miles. He looks at the bat and says; "Crap, Ben, there's a crack in your bat". These are pretty large images.

Where the handle meets the blade:

Toe end of the bat, PLUS my ***y hand in the background:

The picture of the face didn't turn out right, so I'll try to get it later; there is a long, thin crack from the handle crack to the toe crack.

If you don't think it is repairable, can you recommend a good <$150 size 6 or Harrow bat? I went to a shop and the 'Little Belta' from Kookaburra( I think) felt pretty good.
It is positively repairable.

Dont listen to anyone who says it is not.

Just fill the cracks with something like araldite and tie it immediatly with twine. Ideally you should clamp it in one of those clamps carpenters use. Otherwise very tightly wound twine will do.
In 24 hors it will be like new and will give way from anywhere except at these cracks. I would suggest leving the twine in place afterwards also. Its not difficult if you put it on properly. Tight and close as you see on the handle under the grip.

Otherwise put a plaster round that spot.

Dont worry, You bat's throw/stroke will not be affected.

The handle part is slightly more tricky so I will suggest getting a clamp would be far better. You should be able to find one if you have friend or relative who has a small workshop.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
BlackCap_Fan said:
English willow is far superior (and expensive).

Willow is basically a tree grown in England. It has the requisite balance of pliability and stiffness which gives a cricket bat its throw/bounce.

When the British ruled India, an effort was made to grow the willow in India since making the bats in India was not a problem, in fact, it was much cheaper. So they got some saplings and planted them in Kashmir, with its colder climate, and tried to get similar wood.

The project failed to give a quality anywhere close to the English willow. I suppose the soil conditions, humidity etc were other factors which could not be duplicated. however, once started, it took aff as a cheap substitute. Now you have two clearly sepparate types of willow tree, the Kashmir willow and the English willow and the quality difference is massive.

Mostly you can tell even by looking at Kashmir willow bats. The wood colour and the grains are not the same as the English willow but with todays bleached bats the visual difference is less obvious but you can still tell.

Of course hit a cricket ball with it and you will know :)

Slats4ever

International Vice-Captain
BlackCap_Fan said:
it just is... kashmir's from like pakistan and india (well it sounds like it) and is cheaper whilst english is from england.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
James90 said:
Ok fair enough. Size 6 would be about right then
Hmm - given that you're about to approach the "growing" stage, I'd wait till the start of next season before you buy a new bat (am I right in thinking the season's pretty much over by now?)

In the meantime, there's nothing to lose in following SJS' repair tips.

Josh

International Regular
Repair, if that don't work, you might want to look into buying a Short Handle full-sized bat. Should last you a fair whack if you buy a Kookaburra, Gray Nicolls, Slazenger or Newbery.

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I had a bat sponsorship for a year from Impala, i got free equipment, provided i tried to sell their bats and stuff... theyre a top bat, and you could get one cheap because in Australia (same goes for NZ i assume) theyre not very well known, and to get into the market they have to keep the price low... theyre pretty popular with Zimbabwe players too... (dont let that effect your judgment :D )

tassietiger

U19 Debutant
Neil Pickup said:
Hmm - given that you're about to approach the "growing" stage, I'd wait till the start of next season before you buy a new bat (am I right in thinking the season's pretty much over by now?)

Bats are always a lot cheaper at the end of the season though... maybe you could just take a punt that ur going to grow a bit this year.

BlackCap_Fan

State Vice-Captain
Neil Pickup said:

I think there's about another 2 games of cricket (5 weeks till end of season).

So you guys think that I should use one of my mates' bats for the end of season or try to fix my current one?

Isolator

State 12th Man
I was wondering about this...it's commonly said here that if you use a "proper" bat for tennis ball cricket, the bat gets spoilt and will break if used with a leather ball. Is there any truth in this? And next, my bat once fell into some water (a sort of pond)... how much will that damage it?

BlackCap_Fan

State Vice-Captain
Isolator said:
I was wondering about this...it's commonly said here that if you use a "proper" bat for tennis ball cricket, the bat gets spoilt and will break if used with a leather ball. Is there any truth in this?
Spoilt? What, the inanimate wood decides to like tennis balls and not cricket balls!?