• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Stupid Bumble

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
He's complaining that Steve Waugh will use his time with Kent to spy on the English team for the Ashes.

Apart from the fact everyone knows that no English Test players play in CC matches any more, They've already played Surrey twice!

Rich2001

International Captain
Also as you know I am a Kent fan and I will defend Steve Waugh for the reasons already said above plus

- Mr Waugh has played against England enough times already to know the players

- England are in the middle of a test series so the England players wont be seen anyway

- No offence here, but the remaining Kent games will not hold any current England players apart from Somerset & Yorkshire (but read point above)

- The Ashes are beening played in Aus so it's not like his going to be checking pitch conditions

- And finally will he even be picked for the Ashes?

Also to add to your comments Marc, I also heard that Mr bumble said that S.Waugh's appointment would stop our younger players getting a game HOWEVER if A.Symonds hadn't been picked for Australia then he would have been in the team anyway...

Gotchya

State Vice-Captain
The remarks would have been more suited coming from a cricketer in the 1930's !!
Australia really dont need to spy on english players. :P
Unless ofcourse Bumble was really trying to induce some sort of cardiac arrest caused from intensive laughter fits. :D

Lloyd :

"Lloyd's main irk, however, was that while counties are taking in Waugh, his twin brother Mark, who will play for Essex, and Stuart MacGill, who recently arrived at Nottinghamshire, top English players are not asked on reciprocal visits to Australian state cricket."

Waugh retorted:

"There are a number of players playing grade cricket, we only have six sides at the top level and it's a lot harder to invite overseas players, The English counties don't have to sign up overseas players, if they have 11 excellent local players then they don't need to sign them up"

Rich2001

International Captain
Well whatever the talk about if S.Waugh should or should not be here, he opened his Kent account with a sparkling 56* and took a fine catch at square on the off side and supported the Kent team throughout the entier innings almost after Kent were in major trouble at 40ish for 2. S.Waugh made his entrance to a rousing ovation lastting nearly 5 mins; from the 7,500 strong support. Along with all the fireworks that Kent put on. He started slowly taking a while to get off the mark after a long time in the lower figures he started to come into his own and control the game and run quick singles whenever possible, then the highlight of the evening came when he took a few steps down the wicket and hit a monster of a shot over the famous lime tree (clearing it by 20+ foot!) for 6. He then fittingly hit the winning runs to take Kent to a tense win, which was a much needed win to keep in the title hunt and lets hope his super start will continue, when he takes on the same opposition tommorow.

:D

Stevie..Stevie....Stevie Waugh :D

Well that's enough about Waugh now for a match report

A crowd approaching 8000 got the evening they hoped for as an unbeaten 59 from Steven Waugh helped the Kent Spitfires to a five wicket win on a slow pitch at The St Lawrence Ground.

Having won the toss, the Foxes had no hesitation in taking first knock.

Despite contributions from most of their batsmen, Leicestershire struggled to 168-7 off their 45 overs. As usual, pick of the Kent bowlers was the ever reliable Martin Saggers with 3-22 off his 9 overs. He was well supported by Min Patel with 2-34.

At 52-4, the task of scoring 169 seemed beyond the Spitfires.
However, Waugh and Ealham added 48 for the 5th wicket, and then Waugh and Nixon put together an unbeaten stand of 72, with the Australian captain winning the match with a four off the fourth ball of the last over.

[Edited on 8/21/02 by Rich2001]

Rich2001

International Captain
And also I found out the real figure that S.Waugh is being paid and if he doesn't score runs well....

Rich2001

International Captain
That's what I said to my mate who told me the information (both his Dad & Nan work on the Kent staff so that's how he found out). Mind you there was a crowd of 8,000 last night even if you said half that were members that leaves 4,000, tickets were £12 Adults and £8 Kids, so if you split that again and said half were adults and half were Kids then Kent would have made £40,000 from just from ticket sales, then you have all the shops, food & drink etc. Plus the very expenisve corprate hosptality packages and advertising it all adds up quickly.

But have to agree it seems a little over the top, but if he leads us to the titles then it will all be worth it :D