• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

UK vs World / Jayasuriya

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Hang about!

India and Eng are close...LOL Eng are closer to only WI and Zimb
Didn't India just squeeze through 2-1 in the ODI in the West Indies recently (with 2 games washed out)?

Weren't India actually bowled out inside 25 overs in one game?

BengalCat

Cricket Spectator
The series was being played in WEST INDIES, keep that in mind, India still won it IN CONTRAST England Lost to WI 4-1 the last time they played over there. :D Soon WI will be playing in India, u will all see how easily India will beat them in all games!

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
I think that, on their day, any team can beat any other. After all, who (apart from me) would have predicted that Sri Lanka would win the recent ODI tournament - and that Pakistan would not make the final?

India have played 3 brilliant days of cricket (until today, when frankly they were just a little disappointing) and it may have gone to your head a little.

I will view the forthcoming series against the West Indies with interest. If India do win all the games easily, then I will be the first to hold my hand up and say that you are an astute judge of cricket.

If they do not win all the games easily (or even worse, actually lose one) then I will call you a fool.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
And the last time England toured the West Indies was?

1998. With a team of Knight, Stewart, Ramprakash, Hick, Hollioake, Hollioake, Ealham, Brown, Fleming, Croft, Fraser

And how similar are the teams? 2 out of 11. Exactly. No comparison, whatsoever.

What about India's failure to beat England at home in the ODIs last Winter?

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Croft-----Murali
Hoggard----Akhter
Irani-----Akram
Hussain---Jaysuria
Ealham----Walsh.
Useful comparisons there. 2 England batting all-rounders against 2 fast bowlers, and a middle order against a slogging opener.

And have Irani and Hoggard been confirmed as taking part, becuae I'd be very surprised if they do.

BengalCat

Cricket Spectator
I will view the forthcoming series against the West Indies with interest. If India do win all the games easily, then I will be the first to hold my hand up and say that you are an astute judge of cricket.

If they do not win all the games easily (or even worse, actually lose one) then I will call you a fool"

Lose one? what does it mean? if India wins 4 and lose a single match then does it make much difference???Mark my word, it will either be 4-1 or 5-0.

Neil,
India didn't beat England at home, BUT did beat them on their own back yard, in contrast England failed to beat India anywhere, here is the difference!!!!

For ur kind information AKRAM is an allrounder.As for comparision with Walsh, put any other English bowler in place of Elham and he will be a loser.(forget the unavailable fragile Gough)

As for Hussain and Jaysuria, Hussain plays a sedating innings in onedayer , enough to garantee a defeat for his side, Jaysuria leads by example.I was comparing the two captains!!!

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Lose one? what does it mean? if India wins 4 and lose a single match then does it make much difference???Mark my word, it will either be 4-1 or 5-0.
Makes a hell of a lot, as "India will win all the games easily"

Neil, India didn't beat England at home, BUT did beat them on their own back yard, in contrast England failed to beat India anywhere, here is the difference!!!
And both beat Sri Lanka, who then come back and easily beat South Africa and Pakistan, who beat Australia. Does this make them the best? No. These six (+ NZ) are close, and getting closer, as the Champions Trophy will show.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
For ur kind information AKRAM is an allrounder.
No, he's a world class bowler, who is better than he needs to be with the bat. Irani is a batsman who bowls, in other words completely different.

As for comparision with Walsh, put any other English bowler in place of Elham and he will be a loser.(forget the unavailable fragile Gough)
Except Walsh retired some time back, and so will be rusty and nowhere near as fit as someone like Hoggard (if he played)
As for Hussain and Jaysuria, Hussain plays a sedating innings in onedayer , enough to garantee a defeat for his side, Jaysuria leads by example.I was comparing the two captains!!!
2 different styles of player. Jayasuriya opens and slogs, and it sometimes comes off. Hussain aims to bat through the innings from the middle order, which is an important role.
But if you're comparing captains, there's no contest. All Jayasuriya does is throw the ball to Murali, then put himself on when numbers 9, 10 and 11 are in so he can get some cheap wickets.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Like I said, in a 50 over game, anyone can beat anyone - and frequently do. That's why the 'we beat you last time so we are better, therefore we will beat you next time' arguments are not worth a jot.

"No, he's a world class bowler, who is better than he needs to be with the bat. Irani is a batsman who bowls, in other words completely different."

Akram is an allrounder, someone who has scored 250 + n.o and have a ton on Aus.He comes at 8 or 9 position in onedayer and have to throw his bat at the word go, can't blame him much for his dismal performance with the bat.

"Except Walsh retired some time back, and so will be rusty and nowhere near as fit as someone like Hoggard (if he played) "

Agreed, but even a rusty Walsh will bowl ten times better than Hoggard.England don't have much choice coz most of their bowlers are injured all the time, so Hoggard will most likely play in the match.

As for Sanath and Nasir, both have a similar ave though Sanath have 12 tons to his credit in comparision Nasir have just one! Noone was talking about bowling, but come to think Sanath have 224 wkts in onedayer, yeah man all were cheap wkts of tailenders, he deserves no credit

:rolleyes:

[Edited on 8/28/02 by hindmaatujesalam]

BengalCat

Cricket Spectator
"And both beat Sri Lanka, who then come back and easily beat South Africa and Pakistan, who beat Australia. Does this make them the best? No. These six (+ NZ) are close, and getting closer, as the Champions Trophy will show."

SL are a one man team, Jaysuria said after losing the match in the Natwest series that had Murali played , SL would have won at least two matches!!
The seven aren't close atall as u think,England will do nothing in the trophy, they are a very weak team.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
It seems to me that there's a little more garbage than usual being spouted.

Unsubstantiated, opinionated garbage (the best kind :D)

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
As for Sanath and Nasir, both have a similar ave though Sanath have 12 tons to his credit in comparision Nasir have just one!
Which surely means 2 things:

1 - Nasser is more consistent.
2 - Jayasuriya has played about 4 times as many games, so is likely to have more centuries.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Just been watching one Brit who just might develop into the all-rounder that the English fans have craved for so long.

He's already made an impact with the ball this season for Lancashire (had a five-for) but thus far hadn't done a lot with the bat.

Today, 103 in 111 balls in the U-19 game against India - take a bow, Kyle Hogg.

However.....

his bowling in the current match can only be described as tripe.

[Edited on 8/29/02 by luckyeddie]

full_length

U19 Vice-Captain
"And both beat Sri Lanka, who then come back and easily beat South Africa and Pakistan, who beat Australia. Does this make them the best? No. "

Thats a very strange arguement indeed! Transitive law simply doesnt hold in cricket. I think what was being said was that head to head between India and England, India are one up. The home ODI series was tied and England were beaten in England. Cant seem to remember when they last met in a triangular... As far as I can remember India has been up on England in ODIs for several years now.

You must make up your mind whether you want to compare head to head or you want to use a rating system for all teams together.

full_length

U19 Vice-Captain
LE: "Like I said, in a 50 over game, anyone can beat anyone - and frequently do. That's why the 'we beat you last time so we are better, therefore we will beat you next time' arguments are not worth a jot. "

Thats true.
Its more like- 'if you must compare these two teams then this one is probably better'.
That's all one can say. However, it is indeed possible to make a judgement over a longish series, or over a period of time. I dont think many would object if one said Pakistan have been a superior team to England, India, SriLanka, West Indies, New Zealand and Zimbabwe over the last three or four years :)

BengalCat

Cricket Spectator
"Which surely means 2 things:

1 - Nasser is more consistent.
2 - Jayasuriya has played about 4 times as many games, so is likely to have more centuries. "

Thats the conclusion u came up with, Nasir simply isn't suitable for onedayer game, had he not been the captain he wouldn't have made it to the onedayer team.

Nasir will never be able to score more than half a dozen tons no matter how much he plays.Also, Jaysuria might have played 4 times the no of ,matches BUT his number of tons is not just 4 times that of Nasir!!

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Nasir will never be able to score more than half a dozen tons no matter how much he plays.Also, Jaysuria might have played 4 times the no of ,matches BUT his number of tons is not just 4 times that of Nasir!!
As their averages are so similar, and Jayasuriya has hit many more tons, he has also (obviously) had far, far more failures.