• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

who is the toughest cricketer???

ReallyCrazy

Banned
Who do you guys think is the toughest cricketer? I'm not just talking about strongest as in being able to bench a lot. I am talking overall toughest ... so its someone who is physically fit, can hit with power, shouldn't be messed around with in a fight, etc

I'd say Shahid Afridi.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
ReallyCrazy said:
Who do you guys think is the toughest cricketer? I'm not just talking about strongest as in being able to bench a lot. I am talking overall toughest ... so its someone who is physically fit, can hit with power, shouldn't be messed around with in a fight, etc

I'd say Shahid Afridi.
Chris Cairns
Matthew Hayden
Flintoff?

imranrabb

U19 Debutant
Inzamam ul haq shouldnt be messed with,just ask the guy who called him aloo(potato) and he ended up in hospital

ReallyCrazy

Banned
imranrabb said:
Inzamam ul haq shouldnt be messed with,just ask the guy who called him aloo(potato) and he ended up in hospital
no inzi is just a fatty. he could be strong but his reflexes are slow. i can take aloo on :p

twctopcat

International Regular
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
Tino "mind the windows" Best.
Lol, he is a pipsqueak upstart if you ask me, gives the impression of all mouth and no trousers!

Can't see past freddy and matty hayden though.

Langeveldt

Soutie
Doug Marillier.. I reckon someone who has smashed both legs and returns to play international cricket must have endured a hell of a lot of pain, and have guts like anything.. Not the obvious answer, but one thats made me think

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I'm going to put my money on Jermaine Lawson for the bowlers. He could really put the fear back into fast bowling if he gets his act together. Simon Jones looks fairly tough.

But as far as batsmen go, Justin Langer for sure. Any guy who goes through what he did on Test debut deserves a medal of some sort. That and he's got a few black belts in a couple of martial arts. He's about as tough as they come. Ricky Ponting seems pretty hard, despite his size. And I reckon Michael Vaughan would be quite the tough character.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I'd always take a good big 'un to beat a good little 'un. ;)

Aside from the ones already mentioned (Fred, Hayden & Simon Jones), Kevin Pietersen is 6' 5" & I reckon McGrath would be fairly hard too, lotta aggression!

Didn't Beefy chin one of the Chappells a few years back?

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Langeveldt said:
Doug Marillier.. I reckon someone who has smashed both legs and returns to play international cricket must have endured a hell of a lot of pain, and have guts like anything.. Not the obvious answer, but one thats made me think
Add Andrew Hall in that case.

deeps

International 12th Man
haydos and flintoff are rather big, but they'd be slow as well, and a decent fighter would be able to take them down

i'd have to say afridi and tendulkar.... afridi is damn strong, and he's pretty damnq quick as well, and tendulkar is really strong, at 16 he beat the entire indian team in arm wrestles

Mr Casson

Cricketer Of The Year
I reckon someone who wouldn't back away in a fight would be Kevin Pietersen.. he's just got that "I'll kill you" attitude happening.

Buddhmaster

International Captain
deeps said:
haydos and flintoff are rather big, but they'd be slow as well, and a decent fighter would be able to take them down

i'd have to say afridi and tendulkar.... afridi is damn strong, and he's pretty damnq quick as well, and tendulkar is really strong, at 16 he beat the entire indian team in arm wrestles
Arm wrestles don't really mean alot though. I'd go for Langer, because he's the only cricketer that can fight, that I know of. KP is very tall and big, but he looks kindof soft. Flintoff is big, but he's also a little flabby, and Hayden is a nice Christian guy, so he wouldn't fight. I guess you could just say that generally, cricketers aren't the toughest sortof guys.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
I'd say Hayden. I'll remember his innings in Bangladesh against Pakistan for a long time as far as cricketing toughness goes, and he's pretty big and mean anyway.

Mr Casson

Cricketer Of The Year
FaaipDeOiad said:
I'd say Hayden. I'll remember his innings in Bangladesh against Pakistan for a long time as far as cricketing toughness goes, and he's pretty big and mean anyway.
Do you mean Sharjah?

Scallywag

Banned
i would go for Langer, black belts in martial arts and a bit of a boxer as well. On the field he is also one of the toughest when it comes to taking it on the body.

Gayle looks like another likely lad who wouldent back down very easily.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Its difficult to say. But I tried a different criteria. Who would scare me the most in a fight ?

I would say Matthew hayden. He looks big and tough and not willing to take any non sense and on a short fuse !!