• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

RIP David Sheppard

ReallyCrazy

Banned
david sheppard??? the umpire??? :( :( this is very sad news
he was well the last i saw of him. RIP. time changes everything

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
ReallyCrazy said:
david sheppard??? the umpire??? :( :( this is very sad news
he was well the last i saw of him. RIP. time changes everything
That'd be David Shepherd mefinks.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Slats4ever said:
i dunno if it was surely the media release would mention something about his umpiring
That'd be David Shepherd.

Inferior batsman. Perhaps a better umpire.

steds

Hall of Fame Member
Mr Mxyzptlk said:

you're forgetting his amazing skill at delivering newspapers for a 60-odd year old ;)

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Mr Mxyzptlk said:

Just perhaps!
Nah, I got them confused when I first heard about them, too, though they do have a few similarities in looks and build... but no, the man who has taken a walk back to the pavilion today is The Honourable David (later Lord) Sheppard, former Bishop of Liverpool and England cricket captain - not the internationally renowned Umpire.
Either way - a sad day for the game. :sadwalk:

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
Richard said:
Just perhaps!
Nah, I got them confused when I first heard about them, too, though they do have a few similarities in looks and build... but no, the man who has taken a walk back to the pavilion today is The Honourable David (later Lord) Sheppard, former Bishop of Liverpool and England cricket captain - not the internationally renowned Umpire.
Either way - a sad day for the game. :sadwalk:
When I first heard the news I was shocked, for David Shephard had umpired the fifth ODI a day earlier!

RIP to David Sheppard however.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
His hop and skip at Nelson or double Nelson will be missed.
I have heard cricketers talk very fondly of him. Thorough gentleman for sure.
Rest In Peace

Mr Mxyzptlk

SJS said:
His hop and skip at Nelson or double Nelson will be missed.
I have heard cricketers talk very fondly of him. Thorough gentleman for sure.
Rest In Peace
Isn't that umpire Shepherd you're thinking of?

James90

Cricketer Of The Year
Aagh so confusing. When I was reading it on cricinfo I was shocked then I read the article and looked at his profile and it didn't look like "Shepherd" or say anything about umpiring so I figured it wasn't him. Until now though I wasn't particularly sure, they should have at least put a line saying that it wasn't the umpire, everyone's confused

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
BoyBrumby said:
Another legend takes the long walk back to the pavilion. :(

Very good cricketer & a decent, humanist cleric. From the BBC website:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/cricket/4323429.stm
A brave man, who wasn't afraid to make an unpopular stand. One of the very few cricketers of his era to do or say anything about apartheid, brave ecumenical work in a city where those divisions mattered, and willing to upset Thatcher in the 1980's, which has to be a good thing.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
James90 said:
Aagh so confusing. When I was reading it on cricinfo I was shocked then I read the article and looked at his profile and it didn't look like "Shepherd" or say anything about umpiring so I figured it wasn't him. Until now though I wasn't particularly sure, they should have at least put a line saying that it wasn't the umpire, everyone's confused
I wasn't. :)
My confusion happened about 3 years ago, when I first heard of Reverand Sheppard.