• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Would Tatenda Taibu get in the India test team?

Would taibu get in the India team as wicket keeper/batsman?

• yes

Votes: 44 80.0%
  • no

Votes: 11 20.0%

• Total voters

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
JC_088 said:
I don't think he'd make the New Zea;and side, Brendon McCullum is the third best keeper in the world after Gilchrist and Sangakara.
What are your criteria for best keeper?

Surely can't be glovework by that definition...

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Dasa said:
Taibu is better with the gloves than those 3. I think Taibu probably would make the Indian side - I haven't seen him 'keep to quality spin though.
Gilchrist is a better keeper then him, he still makes the odd mistake, whereas Gilchirst hardly makes any. I also remember when he kept to Ray Price in Australia two seasons ago he made a few noticable mistakes, but that was kind of over shadowed by how bad Dravid and Patel kept that series. If he makes mistakes aganist Price then u have to wonder how well he would keep to Harbajan and Kumble.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
marc71178 said:
Yes IMO he would.

An average of just under 30 in Zimbabwe's line up.

Also it would over one of the quota.
I don't know about making the SA side, Boucher is a better keeper and better batsmen, but i guess if the quota debate came into it he might get infront of him.

You also have to remember he has hardly scored any runs aganist the other Test nations apart from Bangladesh, i think his average aganist Pakistan is pretty good, but aganist all the other sides his record is pretty crap. Whereas Boucher has scored runs aganist most teams.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
He's playing in a vastly struggling side, and basically carrying the batting (as well as captaining)

He's what, 21?

He's already the best glovesman around.

The only side I wouldn't put him in is Australia, but that's because of Gilchrist's batting, nothing else.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
marc71178 said:
He's playing in a vastly struggling side, and basically carrying the batting (as well as captaining)

He's what, 21?

He's already the best glovesman around.

The only side I wouldn't put him in is Australia, but that's because of Gilchrist's batting, nothing else.
So what he is carry this Zimbabwe team, Chris Read would carry this Zimbabwe team as well, does that mean he would make every other Test Side in the world apart from Australia.

Best Gloveman in the World, i don't think so, guys like Gilchirst, Read and Boucher are all better with the gloves then him

Dasa

International Vice-Captain
chaminda_00 said:
Best Gloveman in the World, i don't think so, guys like Gilchirst, Read and Boucher are all better with the gloves then him
I haven't seen much of Read so I can't comment, but Taibu is a better pure 'keeper than the other 2. Boucher is steady without being brilliant, and Gilchrist is rated so highly because he occasionally pulls off some amazing takes and because of his batting.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Dasa said:
I haven't seen much of Read so I can't comment, but Taibu is a better pure 'keeper than the other 2. Boucher is steady without being brilliant, and Gilchrist is rated so highly because he occasionally pulls off some amazing takes and because of his batting.
These amazing takes (so called) are all while standing back. Ask anyone who has kept wickets and they will tell you these are not all that difficult to take (relatively speaking) though they look fantastic because of the distance covered in a dive and the one handed take in an outstretched glove. But the time you get makes all the difference.

The true test of a great keeper is standing up and here Gilchrist is no match to someone like, say, Healy (to take an Australian example).

mavric41

State Vice-Captain
SJS said:
These amazing takes (so called) are all while standing back. Ask anyone who has kept wickets and they will tell you these are not all that difficult to take (relatively speaking) though they look fantastic because of the distance covered in a dive and the one handed take in an outstretched glove. But the time you get makes all the difference.

The true test of a great keeper is standing up and here Gilchrist is no match to someone like, say, Healy (to take an Australian example).
Don't forget Gilchrist made a stumping off McGrath.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
mavric41 said:
Tell me have you ever kept wickets ? This is a serious question not an attempt to make fun .

Retox

State Vice-Captain
Taibu would not make it into NZ or Australia teams the rest I think he would but Gilly and McCullum are probally IMO the 2 best keepers in the world (one for batting and is a alright keeper and the other is great keeper and good batter)

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
How ironic that this came up, because I was having this same discussion with my friend just yesterday about this. I feel he'd walk into India's side without question, and would make Sri Lanka's side, with Sangakkara being played solely as a batsman. I'm not sure about NZ over McCullum, that's debateable, but WI, SA (especially with the quota system, but even without it maybe), Pak, Eng etc. would love to have Taibu in their team.

Retox

State Vice-Captain
Jono said:
How ironic that this came up, because I was having this same discussion with my friend just yesterday about this. I feel he'd walk into India's side without question, and would make Sri Lanka's side, with Sangakkara being played solely as a batsman. I'm not sure about NZ over McCullum, that's debateable, but WI, SA (especially with the quota system, but even without it maybe), Pak, Eng etc. would love to have Taibu in their team.
That brings up a question for me.

McCullum or Taibu?

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
mavric41 said:
Sorry mate, I was not being sarcastic when I asked you if you had kept wickets. I really wanted to know.

Well I have and I will tell you that its not very difficult to take a stumping of a medium pacer or even a fastish bowler if he bowled a good length and it came to the keeper without hinderance from the batsmans body, outside the off stum. In fact it is one of the easier deliveries to collect. The problem is if he pitches short and it bounces OR, worse still, if he bowls a full pitch or yorker, then it takes great skill to take it. Its like taking a throw from mid field.

The problem is when you get a nick and the ball deviates after hitting the edge or the body of the batsman. When keeping to spinners, its a different ball game. The spin, the trajectory, the bounce, the amount of turn everything veries much more from delivery to delivery than for a medium pacer. PLUS when you go up to a medium pacer, you generally have an understanding as to what and where he will bowl.

It looks spectacular, I know but isnt as tough as it looks, most of the time. :)

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Dasa said:
Has Taibu kept to a quailty spinner, the test of a keeper is how good he is standing up, as someone said earlier. Taibu does stand up to Streak, Hondo, Ervine and other but Boucher has stood up to Klusener and other bowlers of similar pace and faster pace then the Zimbabwe bowlers which makes him better standing up. Taibu also hasn't kept to a quality spinner unlike Kamran and Gilchrist. Both these guys look at great keeping to spinners, in particular Kamran when he kept to Kaneria, he looked brilliant. All in all their are better keepers in the world then Taibu as they proven themsleves standiong up to medium pace bowlers, who are generally faster then the Zimbabwe bowlers and they also kept to quality spinners unlike Taibu. Until Taibu keeps to a quality spin bowlers then Gilchrist, Boucher, Read and Kamran will all be better keepers then him IMO.

SpeedKing

U19 Vice-Captain
Neil Pickup said:
Undoutably so. Comfortably a better gloveman than Karthik, Dhoni or Patel, and an accomplished batsman. Heck, I'd pick him in the England Test and ODI sides...
yep better keeper than Jones and better batsman than Read.Perfect for no.7

Last edited:

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
chaminda_00 said:
Boucher is a better keeper
chaminda_00 said:
Are you joking or drunk?! Read perhaps, but...?!

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
chaminda_00 said:
Has Taibu kept to a quailty spinner, the test of a keeper is how good he is standing up, as someone said earlier. Taibu does stand up to Streak, Hondo, Ervine and other but Boucher has stood up to Klusener and other bowlers of similar pace and faster pace then the Zimbabwe bowlers which makes him better standing up. Taibu also hasn't kept to a quality spinner unlike Kamran and Gilchrist. Both these guys look at great keeping to spinners, in particular Kamran when he kept to Kaneria, he looked brilliant. All in all their are better keepers in the world then Taibu as they proven themsleves standiong up to medium pace bowlers, who are generally faster then the Zimbabwe bowlers and they also kept to quality spinners unlike Taibu. Until Taibu keeps to a quality spin bowlers then Gilchrist, Boucher, Read and Kamran will all be better keepers then him IMO.
Yet Taibu misses less chances. He takes just about all the regulation chances and pulls off tough ones on a fairly regular basis. Meanwhile Boucher's 'keeping has been far from amazing in recent years and Gilchrist was never as technically and generally sound behind the stumps as Taibu is and always has been. Read is an excellent wicketkeeper so you do have an argument there. Kamran is pretty good too, but please, stop having a laugh.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
Yet Taibu misses less chances. He takes just about all the regulation chances and pulls off tough ones on a fairly regular basis. Meanwhile Boucher's 'keeping has been far from amazing in recent years and Gilchrist was never as technically and generally sound behind the stumps as Taibu is and always has been. Read is an excellent wicketkeeper so you do have an argument there. Kamran is pretty good too, but please, stop having a laugh.
I really can't see why people keep think that he is so much better then all the other keepers in the wrold. 1st of all he has never kept to quailty spinners, the last time he kept to a spinner of any note (Price), he consitenly missed the odd stumping. Therefore demising the theory that he misses less chances. Also chances have to be created for u to miss a chance, how many chances do the Zimbabwe attack with their top players create, compared to the other counties. An example of this is Sangakkara keeping in the World XI/Asia XI game, probably the best i've ever seen him keep to Murali. But if look it more closer u will see that Murali proabably bowled the worst he has in a couple year, therefore creating less chances.

Taibu might look great when standing up to medium pace bowlers, but u have to remember the guys he stands up to a slower then the bowlers from other countries. Allot easier standing up to 120 to 125kmh then 130 kmh plus, Streak being the exception from time to time.

Boucher may not be as good as he was couple season but he did set high standard for himself and he still outshowed Taibu if u take everything into consideration.

Gilchirst may not be technically sound but cus he keeps to Warne. I can't see Taibu keeping better to Warne, considering how he kept to Price.

Also u name me a keeper who kept better quality spin bowling then Kamran recently, he is technically as sound a keeper as you'll find.

Last edited:

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
chaminda_00 said:
I really can't see why people keep think that he is so much better then all the other keepers in the wrold. 1st of all he has never kept to quailty spinners, the last time he kept to a spinner of any note (Price), he consitenly missed the odd stumping. Therefore demising the theory that he misses less chances. Also chances have to be created for u to miss a chance, how many chances do the Zimbabwe attack with their top players create, compared to the other counties. An example of this is Sangakkara keeping in the World XI/Asia XI game, probably the best i've ever seen him keep to Murali. But if look it more closer u will see that Murali proabably bowled the worst he has in a couple year, therefore creating less chances.

Taibu might look great when standing up to medium pace bowlers, but u have to remember the guys he stands up to a slower then the bowlers from other countries. Allot easier standing up to 120 to 125kmh then 130 kmh plus, Streak being the exception from time to time.

Boucher may not be as good as he was couple season but he did set high standard for himself and he still outshowed Taibu if u take everything into consideration.

Gilchirst may not be technically sound but cus he keeps to Warne. I can't see Taibu keeping better to Warne, considering how he kept to Price.

Also u name me a keeper who kept better quality spin bowling then Kamran recently, he is technically as sound a keeper as you'll find.
Dinesh Kaarthick? He has been quite brilliant, although at times inconsistent, to the spinners on rank turners.