• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Would Tatenda Taibu get in the India test team?

Would taibu get in the India team as wicket keeper/batsman?

• yes

Votes: 44 80.0%
  • no

Votes: 11 20.0%

• Total voters

dro87

U19 12th Man
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
The first contributor to my prediction...

Taibu is a very competent batsman and Kartik has done nothing as yet to suggest he's as good or better.

Yty looking at his domestic stas... I've seen him play in FC and he looks a fine fine bataman

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
For me there's no better keeper in the World, and the only side I wouldn't put him in is Australia.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
dro87 said:
Yty looking at his domestic stas... I've seen him play in FC and he looks a fine fine bataman
Yes, but Taibu has actually done it in International Cricket (and in a massively struggling side at that)

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
aussie

of course he is a much batter batsman than patel or karthik and his glovework isnn't bad either. India would surely love to have hsi ability

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
I he would probably make the Sri Lankan side, well if they keep playing Sangakkara as a batsmen. But if the selectors had a clue then he wouldn't make our side. Personally i don't rate Taibu better then Patel or Kartik as a batsmen, reson being is that if u take away his stats aganist Bangladesh in Test Cricket, as everyone says u have to if u are comparing one player aganist another, u see that he only averages 19.5. His average of 89.4 aganist Banagladesh makes him look a better batsmen then he really is. So therefore kartik or Patel would both make the India side infront of him. The only keepers i would have him infront of would be P Jayawardene, K Akmal and K Mushud, but even those would be 50/50 decision. He is not as good batsmen as people think he is, the other Zimbabawe batsmen make him look better, then what he actually is.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
From memory, Taibu started his career very poorly. Since he has had to carry Zimbabwe's batting for some time. It's no mystery why commentators tend to state "it was all over when Taibu was dismissed" when referring to a typical Zimbabwean chase.

steds

Hall of Fame Member
Neil Pickup said:
@ Steds - I beat you by two whole minutes, man. Are you really that slow?
someone was at the front door, I felt obliged to open it

honest!! :ph34r:

deeps

International 12th Man
when i was in india for 2 months, i saw alot of kartik and his domestic games and he seems a very very good batsman. I dunno if he's better than taibu, i'd put him on par... obviously taibu has proven it at international level, after all the opportunities he's had, kartik has played about 3 test, give him time!

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
The title to the thread talks of the TEST team. I am surprised at so many posts talking of his suitability or otherwise based on batting, primarily.

If one looks at keeping, he appears to be very competent and since one hasnt seen a long enough stint from the Indian aspirants (except Parthiv who is atrocious), I would select him for tests for India.

While I would do it purely on keeping merits , let me assert that I consider Taibu a very competent test batsman and on whatever one has seen so far of Karthik, I would have prefered Taibu even if I was taking batting as a criteria.

It is easy to say NO, with typical nationalistic fervour but wouldnt India give anything to have, in any of its state sides, a keeper who has six fifties and a hundred in test matches and keeps very competently standing up or back ? We have tolerated a nincompoop like Parthiv and were evn willing to give him another chance because he could bat !!!!! So bare has been our shelf. Come on guys try thinking of Taibu as a keeper not the face and the country that comes to mind when you say that name :sleep:

Unattainableguy

State 12th Man
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
Pakistan, possibly West Indies, India, possibly England.
He is certainly not better than Moin Khan or Rashid Latif, who they dumped for Kamran Akmal. And India too have better options.

masterblaster

International Captain
Honestly I think Taibu's one of the best technical wicket keepers out there. He's really helped Zimbabwe in some crunch situations and I rate his batting higher than that of Dinesh Karthik and Parthiv Patel.

Although as an Indian supporter, I'd like to see Mahendra Dhoni in both test and ODI sides. I dont know, to me he looks like he has something 'special' about him with both batting and keeping.

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Yup - he might be dropped if he didn't score more than one fifty in his first four innings, but he would have been given a go. Think he'd be the only current Zimbabwean player to make their Test side, though (although, judging by some Indians' incessant moaning over an all-rounder, Heath Streak might have something to do in their ODI side).

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Samuel_Vimes said:
Yup - he might be dropped if he didn't score more than one fifty in his first four innings, but he would have been given a go. Think he'd be the only current Zimbabwean player to make their Test side, though (although, judging by some Indians' incessant moaning over an all-rounder, Heath Streak might have something to do in their ODI side).
If Heath Streak was eligible for India and wasnt selected it would be as bad as Mugabe deciding the team :sleep:

JC_088

Cricket Spectator
marc71178 said:
For me there's no better keeper in the World, and the only side I wouldn't put him in is Australia.
I don't think he'd make the New Zea;and side, Brendon McCullum is the third best keeper in the world after Gilchrist and Sangakara.

Dasa

International Vice-Captain
JC_088 said:
I don't think he'd make the New Zea;and side, Brendon McCullum is the third best keeper in the world after Gilchrist and Sangakara.
Taibu is better with the gloves than those 3. I think Taibu probably would make the Indian side - I haven't seen him 'keep to quality spin though.

JC_088

Cricket Spectator
Dasa said:
Taibu is better with the gloves than those 3. I think Taibu probably would make the Indian side - I haven't seen him 'keep to quality spin though.
That maybe true, but based on overall ability and value to the team, those three would come out comfortably on top.