• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Best ending to a game

twctopcat

International Regular
Richard said:
That's the only time where I've ever thought the result of a match was a foregone conclusion and it's turned on it's head.
Remember - I didn't watch your avatar match. Nor did my Dad - he preferred to knock down a porch in front of the house they owned 8 houses ago.
Me too, chris read has a special place in my heart because of that day.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Just a shame he got dropped 5 games later!
For someone who I'll be amazed if he ever pulls-off that sort of thing (ain't like it was the first time for Read, either - he so nearly did the same thing at Newlands 4 years previously).

twctopcat

International Regular
He played pretty well all last season, averaged around 50 i think, but i do agree, wonder if he ever gets picked again which is a shame because he is such a good glovesmen.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
And add to that the fact that he's a better one-day batsman than Jones has ever been!!!
Read's form last season veered from the stunning to the disappointing.
Still, since 2002 he's averaged about 60 - which is something to take note of.
Jones in the same time has just managed to average 20.

tooextracool

International Coach
from my personal favorite ODI series
http://usa.cricinfo.com/link_to_dat...RNEYS/CUODS//NZ_RSA_CUODS_ODI7_09JAN1998.html
http://usa.cricinfo.com/link_to_dat...RNEYS/CUODS//NZ_RSA_CUODS_ODI5_11DEC1997.html

http://usa.cricinfo.com/link_to_database/ARCHIVE/1996-97/ENG_IN_ZIM/ENG_ZIM_T1_18-22DEC1996.html
the not so famouse tied test between england and zimbabwe which is more famous for david lloyds "We murdered them and they know it. We flippin hammered them."
13 runs off the last over, where nick knight managed to hammer a 6 and reduce the equation to 3 from the last ball, hammers it through the off side, runs for 2 and gets run out on the third.

Swervy

International Captain
Isolator said:
Wait... how is this a draw and not a tie? I used to know but I've forgotten...
because eng were only a few wickets down

if they had been all out for that score,that would have been a tie

steds

Hall of Fame Member
best ending to a game...hmm...

...one with a happily ever after (e.g. a Lancashire win)

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Swervy said:
oh well..lady luck on our side yet again
Look, do you really think Australia deserved to win that?
From memory South Africa had won 5 out of 6 games against Australia - then they won the last 2 and ended-up winning the tourney.
How is that justified?

Swervy

International Captain
Richard said:
Look, do you really think Australia deserved to win that?
From memory South Africa had won 5 out of 6 games against Australia - then they won the last 2 and ended-up winning the tourney.
How is that justified?
beacuse in any tournament of pretty much any sport, the good teams win the games they need to win..Australia did enough to get to the finals...SA couldnt hold on to a 1-0 lead in those finals..SA got whipped good and proper in the second and were beaten in a close-ish game in the third (Australia did play better though)..so there you go...all three teams knew the rules, the finals hold more weight than the qualifiers,Australia win...when it counted,Australia were the better team.
End Of Story

Last edited:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Australia wanted to win every game, just like they do now.
South Africa were simply too good for them for most of the tournament.

Swervy

International Captain
Richard said:
Australia wanted to win every game, just like they do now.
South Africa were simply too good for them for most of the tournament.

...but when it counted,they werent good enough

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Swervy said:
...but when it counted,they werent good enough
And that still doesn't change the fact that they were massively better than Australia.
Do you even remember that series?

Swervy

International Captain
Richard said:
And that still doesn't change the fact that they were massively better than Australia.
Do you even remember that series?
please dont question me on whether I remember a series from the mid 90's ..I do remember it yes thanks....do you..????

'And that still doesn't change the fact that they were massively better than Australia.'.....
Well yeah I guess SA were a better ( the best) ODI team overall, but really what use is that when they couldnt win when they needed to.the fact is Australia come away with the tournament win..SA runners up after losing the two biggest games of the series (ie the last 2 of the finals).

Results when needed are the only things that matter

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Yes, but ATEOTD that was a relatively inconsequential tournament.
Net results over the thing, not the result of the finals, is what matters.
And no, I don't remember it at all, I've only read very brief Wisden reports - I just wanted to see whether you remember the specifics or whether you were just generalising.