• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The ``ASHES`` and the Pietersen diillema

Tom Halsey

International Coach
chaminda_00 said:
1) Consider ur theory about pitch conditions the fact that he averages 30 on non pace bowler friendly pitches must clasify him as a all time great.

2) Personally i think his average of 30 is more to do flatter pitches around the world. Of the top of my head Gillespie average 25 or something, he like Vaas is allot better bowler then his average might say.

3) Giles has played most his domestic cricket aganist English batsmen who generally are worse players of spin, so therefore counter the pitch conditions in Sri Lanka.

4) The reason why he hasn't be given as much ago is cus of a player by the name of Murali.
1) You have a habbit of making laughable comments, don't you? Vaas, an all-time great?! :laugh:

2) Always countered quite nicely by the fact that because Murali ties an end up, batsmen have to attack Vaas and take risks.

3) England are alot better at playing spin than they used to be, huge exageration there.

4) In SL, Sri Lanka usually play more than 1 spinner.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Tom Halsey said:
1) The fact is that now England outbows SL by quite a bit IMO.

2) Considering he plays in SL, I shall be ignoring his FC record. And while he's played so little International cricket, he's still unproven.

3) You've watched a select few of Jones' matches then - and Dilhara needs to sort out some big problems before he gets anywhere near the Top 20.

4) Sounds a bit like Dilhara...
1. Maybe true but that doesn't mean that one on one their better bowler then Vaas
2. So can i discount any pace FC stats from england considering the pitches they bowl on. You also seem to forget the fact that Murali has better FC records in England then at home because the batsmen a better players of spin, domestically.
3. And i guess u watched every ball Dilhara bowled 8-) , to get into the top 20 all Dilhara has to do is stay injury free and fix up his no ball problem, something that other bowlers have done in the past quite easy i.e. Harmison ring a bell
4. The difference being he has shown that his good enough at the international stage if he staged injury free, unlike Andreson who hasn't had as many injuries he just can't ball at Test Level, ATM.

Tom Halsey said:
1) You have a habbit of making laughable comments, don't you? Vaas, an all-time great?!

2) Always countered quite nicely by the fact that because Murali ties an end up, batsmen have to attack Vaas and take risks.

3) England are alot better at playing spin than they used to be, huge exageration there.

4) In SL, Sri Lanka usually play more than 1 spinner.

5) Yes but SL are arguably better players of spin.
1. and u have a habit of not reading the whole thread, very, very stupid boy aren't u :p . Mate if read the whole thread then you will see that i wasn't calling him an all time great just that under someone stupid theory about pitch conditions he would be an all time great, which he isn't.
2. By that statement i can see that u haven't seen too many Sri Lanka test, they generally go after the 3rd and 4th bowlers
3. Not domestic cricket mate, just look at the last India A and Sri Lanka A tours, the spinners found it allot easier taking wickets aganist English batsmen then at home. Also Murali's records in England Domestic cricket compared to at home shows this aswell.
4. I explained this earlier in the thread, but i guess u didn't read it, too much reading for little brain
5. Currently the Australian are playing spin better then us, hopefully we can fix that soon.

howardj

International Coach
The only thing you can say about KP is that his stats - at every level, in both forms of the game - entitle him to at least be given a good run in the middle order for the Ashes. He's streets ahead of Key.

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
Neil Pickup said:
I think we'll know by lunch on the first day, the opening exchanges will set the tone for the entire series.

give it the whole first day ;) i remember the headlines after the first day of the gabba test last time england came out - "Can anyone in england play cricket" with an article on page 2 calling for backpackers to be called up.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
aussie

I think we all are going over board when we say england ave the second best bowling attack in the world. Yes they did very well together in the caribbean, at home and in south africa, but they still have to bowl in the sub-continent and over in the tasmans (Australia and new zealand) but undoubtebly with the likes of hoggard, harmison, jones, flintoff, anderson and in reserve guys like lewis, mahmood and harrison their fast bowler future together looks very promising.

I also agree with my mate their chaminda, u got to be overexaggerating saying some of the england bowlers are better than Chaminda vaas he is one bowler than has bowled all over the world. But my view on the comparison between, england bowlers to th likes of malinga, fernando, nissanka and mahroof i would say its fairl even because for me once he gets out of the slump harmsion is better than them all, so is flintoff, while the sri lanka crop would challenge the likes of hoggard, jones and anderson to which are better.

We dont have to compare murali and the king of spain (Giles). While he says that suraj is the best 20 year old spinner in the world, blokes let chaminda have his view because i have been boasting about young aussies like tait, white, ronchi and bird all the time. But if their was anyone here who went to the game at shelney when sri lanka (a) played the west indians last july might think otherwise about suraj

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
aussie said:
While he says that suraj is the best 20 year old spinner in the world, blokes let chaminda have his view because i have been boasting about young aussies like tait, white, ronchi and bird all the time. But if their was anyone here who went to the game at shelney when sri lanka (a) played the west indians last july might think otherwise about suraj
aye, he's not had the best of times in this current 'a' match either, but he's only 20 so he has a massive amount of time to go either way.