Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 71

Thread: Andrew Mcleans article on Australia being Too good...

  1. #1
    International Coach Zinzan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    cover point
    Posts
    11,092

    Andrew Mcleans article on Australia being Too good...

    He's seems a tad cynical and over- the top .......

    http://nz.cricinfo.com/link_to_datab...05MAR2005.html

  2. #2
    Global Moderator Somerset's Avatar
    Money Money Money Champion! Tournaments Won: 7
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Posts
    9,863
    A load of rubbish from Andrew McLean, who is usually a fairly decent writer. The satisfaction of sides beating the Australians when that happens is fantastic and there's nothing better than seeing Australia stretched - but the idea of kicking them out of international cricket? It's not April Fool's Day is it?

  3. #3
    International Coach Zinzan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    cover point
    Posts
    11,092
    Quote Originally Posted by Somerset
    A load of rubbish from Andrew McLean, who is usually a fairly decent writer. The satisfaction of sides beating the Australians when that happens is fantastic and there's nothing better than seeing Australia stretched - but the idea of kicking them out of international cricket? It's not April Fool's Day is it?
    Yes he's obviously bitter and twisted like a lot of us and went way over the top. He didn't really touch on how badly NZ played though.

  4. #4
    Hall of Fame Member FaaipDeOiad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    19,104
    Quote Originally Posted by zinzan12
    He's seems a tad cynical and over- the top .......

    http://nz.cricinfo.com/link_to_datab...05MAR2005.html
    I read that. At first I thought he was just kidding around to emphasise how dominant Australia were, but by the end I was almost convinced that he seriously wanted Australia kicked out. Frankly, Pakistan were much more competitive in ODIs than New Zealand this year. The shocking New Zealand bowling attack (partially due to injury and lack of depth) and brittle top order failures against Lee and McGrath have more to do with their failure to be competitive than Australia really being that much better than anyone else. To put it simply, New Zealand didn't justify their number two ranking with the way they played.


  5. #5
    First Class Debutant cric_manic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    South of Heaven
    Posts
    831
    Its like taking the all blacks out of rugby

  6. #6
    International Coach Zinzan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    cover point
    Posts
    11,092
    Quote Originally Posted by FaaipDeOiad
    I read that. At first I thought he was just kidding around to emphasise how dominant Australia were, but by the end I was almost convinced that he seriously wanted Australia kicked out. Frankly, Pakistan were much more competitive in ODIs than New Zealand this year. The shocking New Zealand bowling attack (partially due to injury and lack of depth) and brittle top order failures against Lee and McGrath have more to do with their failure to be competitive than Australia really being that much better than anyone else. To put it simply, New Zealand didn't justify their number two ranking with the way they played.
    Have to agree ...Of the 7 onedayers this season (first 2 in Aust in Nov/dec), New Zealand were very competitive, in the first 3 games (even more so than pakistan), however ever since the 2nd game of this home series it been like watching School masters play toddlers....

  7. #7
    International Coach Zinzan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    cover point
    Posts
    11,092
    Quote Originally Posted by cric_manic
    Its like taking the all blacks out of rugby
    Yes, however that wouldn't have effected who would have won the last 4 rugby world cups

  8. #8
    SJS
    SJS is offline
    Hall of Fame Member SJS's Avatar
    Virus 2 Champion!
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Mumbai India
    Posts
    19,264
    I find it difficult to believe this guy is serious ??

  9. #9
    State 12th Man
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    India
    Posts
    752
    He was kidding. It wasn't a particulary brilliant article.

  10. #10
    SJS
    SJS is offline
    Hall of Fame Member SJS's Avatar
    Virus 2 Champion!
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Mumbai India
    Posts
    19,264
    Quote Originally Posted by Isolator
    He was kidding. It wasn't a particulary brilliant article.
    I think so too.

  11. #11
    State 12th Man
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    India
    Posts
    752
    What I didn't like was his bit about NZ's current attack. Vettori deserves a heck of a lot of credit for going at around 3 an over while everyone else goes at 7 or so. McLean just lumps him in with everyone else... I'm not quite sure why.

  12. #12
    Hall of Fame Member age_master's Avatar
    Plasmanaut on Fire Champion!
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    Sydney, NSW, Australia
    Posts
    15,777
    stupid article
    Member of CW Green
    Kerry O'Keefe - Worlds funniest Commentator

  13. #13
    Request Your Custom Title Now! benchmark00's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Is this CricketWeb's greatest poster in the short history of the forum?
    Posts
    37,156
    Quote Originally Posted by cric_manic
    Its like taking the all blacks out of rugby
    Except All Blacks arent even remotely near as dominant as the Australian Cricket team...

    However, im convinced this was all said in jest, and just another way of saying "Australia are a good team"... maybe he's run out of ways to say it?

    But it must be said that Australia A (if not picked on the youth policy) would beat most teams in the world at the moment... maybe get rid of Zimbabwe and give Australia A test status?
    Parmi | #1 draft pick | Jake King is **** | Big Bash League tipping champion of the universe
    Come and Paint Turtle
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Kohli. Do something in test cricket for once please.

    Thanks.

  14. #14
    Eyes not spreadsheets marc71178's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    England
    Posts
    57,790
    Quote Originally Posted by cric_manic
    Its like taking the all blacks out of rugby
    No, it's nothing like that at all.

    Australia are miles ahead of the rest of the cricketing world.
    marc71178 - President and founding member of AAAS - we don't only appreciate when he does well, but also when he's not quite so good!

    Anyone want to join the Society?

    Beware the evils of Kit-Kats - they're immoral apparently.

  15. #15
    Eyes not spreadsheets marc71178's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    England
    Posts
    57,790
    Quote Originally Posted by benchmark00
    But it must be said that Australia A (if not picked on the youth policy) would beat most teams in the world at the moment...
    Why must that be said?

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Wisden's Cricketers of the Century
    By Ford_GTHO351 in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 1032
    Last Post: 17-10-2010, 10:26 AM
  2. Ganguly's achievements
    By ReallyCrazy in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 52
    Last Post: 24-08-2004, 01:40 PM
  3. good one australia
    By nibbs in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 24-09-2003, 03:59 PM
  4. The Future Champions of Test Cricket
    By Shawn Badyk in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 32
    Last Post: 10-07-2003, 03:11 AM
  5. Replies: 20
    Last Post: 14-03-2003, 07:37 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •