• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Andrew Mcleans article on Australia being Too good...

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
A load of rubbish from Andrew McLean, who is usually a fairly decent writer. The satisfaction of sides beating the Australians when that happens is fantastic and there's nothing better than seeing Australia stretched - but the idea of kicking them out of international cricket? It's not April Fool's Day is it?

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Somerset said:
A load of rubbish from Andrew McLean, who is usually a fairly decent writer. The satisfaction of sides beating the Australians when that happens is fantastic and there's nothing better than seeing Australia stretched - but the idea of kicking them out of international cricket? It's not April Fool's Day is it?
Yes he's obviously bitter and twisted like a lot of us and went way over the top. He didn't really touch on how badly NZ played though.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
zinzan12 said:
I read that. At first I thought he was just kidding around to emphasise how dominant Australia were, but by the end I was almost convinced that he seriously wanted Australia kicked out. Frankly, Pakistan were much more competitive in ODIs than New Zealand this year. The shocking New Zealand bowling attack (partially due to injury and lack of depth) and brittle top order failures against Lee and McGrath have more to do with their failure to be competitive than Australia really being that much better than anyone else. To put it simply, New Zealand didn't justify their number two ranking with the way they played.

Zinzan

FaaipDeOiad said:
I read that. At first I thought he was just kidding around to emphasise how dominant Australia were, but by the end I was almost convinced that he seriously wanted Australia kicked out. Frankly, Pakistan were much more competitive in ODIs than New Zealand this year. The shocking New Zealand bowling attack (partially due to injury and lack of depth) and brittle top order failures against Lee and McGrath have more to do with their failure to be competitive than Australia really being that much better than anyone else. To put it simply, New Zealand didn't justify their number two ranking with the way they played.
Have to agree ...Of the 7 onedayers this season (first 2 in Aust in Nov/dec), New Zealand were very competitive, in the first 3 games (even more so than pakistan), however ever since the 2nd game of this home series it been like watching School masters play toddlers....

Zinzan

cric_manic said:
Its like taking the all blacks out of rugby
Yes, however that wouldn't have effected who would have won the last 4 rugby world cups :)

Isolator

State 12th Man
What I didn't like was his bit about NZ's current attack. Vettori deserves a heck of a lot of credit for going at around 3 an over while everyone else goes at 7 or so. McLean just lumps him in with everyone else... I'm not quite sure why.

benchmark00

cric_manic said:
Its like taking the all blacks out of rugby
Except All Blacks arent even remotely near as dominant as the Australian Cricket team...

However, im convinced this was all said in jest, and just another way of saying "Australia are a good team"... maybe he's run out of ways to say it? :mellow:

But it must be said that Australia A (if not picked on the youth policy) would beat most teams in the world at the moment... maybe get rid of Zimbabwe and give Australia A test status? ;)

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
benchmark00 said:
But it must be said that Australia A (if not picked on the youth policy) would beat most teams in the world at the moment...
Why must that be said?

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I think it's very tongue-in-cheek stuff. He gives the game away when he says "This might sound ridiculous, but so were New Zealand" :D

Fair play to the Aussies.

slugger

State Vice-Captain
it's a myth the all blacks were a dominating team. they never played sth africa for neally 10 years to begin with. but atlearst the all blacks always played the aussies thus giving them games against a pretty strong team non the less. unlike aussie cricket that never played new zealand for neally 30 years from 1946 - 1971 cause they thought we werent good enough. :wacko: maybe they were right but 30 years.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Isolator said:
What I didn't like was his bit about NZ's current attack. Vettori deserves a heck of a lot of credit for going at around 3 an over while everyone else goes at 7 or so. McLean just lumps him in with everyone else... I'm not quite sure why.
I too found that quite astonishing.
Almost as astonishing as I found Vettori doing so well ITFP.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
zinzan12 said:
Have to agree ...Of the 7 onedayers this season (first 2 in Aust in Nov/dec), New Zealand were very competitive, in the first 3 games (even more so than pakistan), however ever since the 2nd game of this home series it been like watching School masters play toddlers....
It's just been the typical playing-Australia set of circumstances... injury decimates, previously substance-filled batting becomes collapse-happy - don't know how many catches went down but I'd not be surprised if it was a few.
Don't expect much different in The Ashes this summer - exactly that has happened in the last 3 series.