Cricket Betting Site Betway
Page 2 of 27 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 391

Thread: The ICC Super Series

  1. #16
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    1,912
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard
    That is something I cannot know.
    If it was England doing the winning in the exact same circumstances I'd feel exactly the same.
    I don't let nationalistic bias get in the way of my judgement of cricketdom.
    Well if you have no nationalistc bias then how good do you rate the Australian team.

  2. #17
    Banned Blaze's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    NZ
    Posts
    5,124
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard
    That is something we cannot either know or even realistically guess at.
    And the far-fetched guesses I'd take are that they're maybe, just, in the top 10.

    Name 9 better test sides of all time better than the current AUS team. I can't name one

  3. #18
    Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    2005
    Posts
    80,401
    Quote Originally Posted by Scallywag
    Well if you have no nationalistc bias then how good do you rate the Australian team.
    As perhaps the 9th or 10th best side of all-time.
    But that can only be based on fairly far-strung guesswork.
    RD
    Appreciating cricket's greatest legend ever - HD Bird...............Funniest post (intentionally) ever.....Runner-up.....Third.....Fourth
    (Accidental) founder of Twenty20 Is Boring Society. Click and post to sign-up.
    chris.hinton: h
    FRAZ: Arshad's are a long gone stories
    RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990-15/4/2006

  4. #19
    Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    2005
    Posts
    80,401
    Quote Originally Posted by Blaze
    Name 9 better test sides of all time better than the current AUS team. I can't name one
    South Africa 1969\70
    Australia 1948
    Australia 1934
    West Indies 1979
    West Indies 1957
    England at some point in the mid-1950s
    Pakistan 1999 (if they'd been anyone but Pakistanis they'd have broken all records)
    South Africa 1998\99
    That's about all I can do off the top of my head.


  5. #20
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    1,912
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard
    As perhaps the 9th or 10th best side of all-time.
    But that can only be based on fairly far-strung guesswork.
    Its only my opinion but I think your judgement of cricketdom is a fair bit out of whack and very much influenced by something even though you claim its not nationalistic bias.

  6. #21
    Banned Blaze's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    NZ
    Posts
    5,124
    The only reason I can think that you think the current AUS team is about the 9th or 10th best ever is because you are trying to attention seek and trying to have controversial views. Because I honestly can't think of any other logical reasons

  7. #22
    Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    2005
    Posts
    80,401
    Quote Originally Posted by Scallywag
    Its only my opinion but I think your judgement of cricketdom is a fair bit out of whack and very much influenced by something even though you claim its not nationalistic bias.
    It's influenced by the wish to judge every player on his merits, not the shortcomings of the opposition.
    As far as possible, of course - because you can only beat what's in front of you.

  8. #23
    Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    2005
    Posts
    80,401
    Quote Originally Posted by Blaze
    The only reason I can think that you think the current AUS team is about the 9th or 10th best ever is because you are trying to attention seek and trying to have controversial views. Because I honestly can't think of any other logical reasons
    I can - looking at the players concerned, and sometimes calling on my ability to make judgements having seen lots of their careers.

  9. #24
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    1,912
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard
    It's influenced by the wish to judge every player on his merits, not the shortcomings of the opposition.
    As far as possible, of course - because you can only beat what's in front of you.
    So what do you think of the statement that a champion team will beat a team of champions.

  10. #25
    Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    2005
    Posts
    80,401
    Load of rubbish.
    If a team of champions plays to their potential they'll flatten any team of mediocre players who get on well with each other.
    That was the problem with Pakistan of 1999 - they had so many fantastic players, but they fluctuated so often.

  11. #26
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    1,912
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard
    That was the problem with Pakistan of 1999 - they had so many fantastic players, but they fluctuated so often.

    This Pakistani team is the one you just stated are better than the current Australian side.

    So a fluctuating side that has many fantastic players is better than a solid team performing consistantly over a period of years.

  12. #27
    Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    2005
    Posts
    80,401
    The players were better.
    Without players you have no team.
    A team is only what the players in it make it.
    It is nothing more than a collection of players.

  13. #28
    Virat Kohli (c) Jono's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    65,366
    The fact that you think the Pakistan test team of 1999 is better than the current Australian team makes it extremely hard for me to take any of your other posts seriously.

    There's a reason they were beaten 3-0 by Australia, and that wasn't even the current Australian team either, which is better than the Australian team of 1999.
    Last edited by Jono; 05-03-2005 at 07:17 PM.
    "I am very happy and it will allow me to have lot more rice."

    Eoin Morgan on being given a rice cooker for being Man of the Match in a Dhaka Premier Division game.

  14. #29
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    1,912
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard
    The players were better.
    Without players you have no team.
    A team is only what the players in it make it.
    It is nothing more than a collection of players.
    Thats what everybody says Richard, Australia are a team that has the players that make the team unbeatable whereas the Pakistani team was just a collection of players. Even though I dispute the fact that the Pakistani team contained more talent than the current Australian side.

  15. #30
    Cricketer Of The Year JASON's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    At Work
    Posts
    7,558
    Quote Originally Posted by Blaze
    Heaps of threads on World XI's. Really far too early to predict the team
    Agree its too early to predict .

    But of your Team -
    Quote Originally Posted by aussie
    Here what The Rest of the World XI might be:

    Stephen Fleming * - skipper
    Virender Sehwag or Strauss (Depending on his ashes performance)
    Rahul Dravid
    Sachin Tendulkar
    Brain Lara
    Jaques Kallis or Andrew Flintoff
    Kumar Sangakara + - Keeper
    Shaun Pollock
    Shoaib Akhtar
    Steve Harmison (also on ashes performance) Shane Bond (if he comes back and bowls has quickly and has well as before) or even Vaas or Pathan or Ntini
    Anil Kumbel or Daniel Vettori (Extra spinner due to nature of SCG pitch)
    Muttiah Muralitharan
    On current form, (after Aussie series) Stephen Fleming is unlikely to get into the World XI.

    My Team on current form


    Gayle
    Sehwag
    Tendulkar (although some question marks over the great man's fitness may come into it!)
    Lara (Skipper)
    Kallis
    Sangakkara
    Flintoff
    Pollock
    Vettori
    Akhtar (Vaas/Pathan as alternates)
    Murali
    Last edited by JASON; 05-03-2005 at 08:21 PM.

Page 2 of 27 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 45
    Last Post: 02-12-2004, 05:26 PM
  2. ICC Super Series
    By Warne is god in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 54
    Last Post: 18-11-2004, 01:31 PM
  3. The ICC Super Series 2005
    By Barney Rubble in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 02-09-2004, 07:02 AM
  4. Ian Chappells World Eleven for the Super series
    By Deja moo in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 64
    Last Post: 20-07-2004, 11:09 AM
  5. World Eleven for ICC Super series V Australia
    By JASON in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 162
    Last Post: 15-07-2004, 12:22 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •