• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The ICC Super Series

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
tooextracool said:
while martyn already has a good average against india and every other team in the world. what exactly do you have against martyn, when hes been performing consistently against every team in the world?
I don't have anything against him, he's a good player, but I don't find him as good as Inzamam.
even though you were boasting about how good pakistan were post 98?
Yeah, I was trying to confuse people - you, of course, are usually able to spot that sort of thing.
Mushtaq wasn't a good bowler after the home series against SA.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
tooextracool said:
and without watching him you came to the conclusion that he was better than most of the aussie players in the side. sheer brilliance.
No, I came to the conclusion that he was better than Hayden.
I never said he was better than either Waugh, Martyn, Ponting-against-seam, Gilchrist or even Langer-against-seam.
But obviously he was better than Hayden against seam and Ponting and Langer against spin.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
tooextracool said:
how often can he do it? getting 1 in swinger in the right place every 100 balls wont trouble courteney walsh let alone graeme smith.
1 good swinger can trouble anyone if it's good enough.
Added to the fact that it was probably about 1 in 20 or 30 Edwards deliveries.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
tooextracool said:
so a team that has all the best players yet gets humiliated by other teams is still the best team in the world?
dont be ridiculous, the best team in the world is the one that performs the best, not the one that can or mgiht.
Obviously one that gets humiliated by all other teams isn't going to contain lots of good players.

Scallywag

Banned
Richard said:
I don't have anything against him, he's a good player, but I don't find him as good as Inzamam.
Yes you do, you dont like him because he's Australian.

Of course you dont find him as good as Inzi because he averages more runs than Inzi and you dont like that from an Australian.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
No, I don't dislike players just because they're Australian.
I do, though, think his Test-career has involved less challenging innings than Inzamam's.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
tooextracool said:
as shown by his performanes in england, clearly he can bowl on any pitch, with his brilliant average of 30.
No, the way he bowled on those flat pitches of that series didn't show that he can't bowl on flat pitches, just that in this case, he didn't.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Richard said:
I do, though, think his Test-career has involved less challenging innings than Inzamam's.
Oh, you mean like his brilliant, match-winning, back-to-the-wall centuries in Sri Lanka and India? Two in each tour with the team down, I might add? Yeah, he's a bully with inflated stats for sure.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
aussie

Scallywag said:
You know thats a pretty lame excuse you allways trot out Richard.

look at their records and see what each bowler has achieved, its nothing to do with McGrath being Australian. But I have noticed that you seem to try and twist any fact to degrade any Australian performance, if we all believed you then Australia has won the most games with the worst team ever to walk on the field. You just come across as very anti-Australian and allways looking for ways to degrade them. You seem to be extremely poor at judging cricketers.
totally right mate, he is extremely poor on judging cricket, for me he shouldn't let top cricket analyst hear is comments he should keep it right here

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Richard said:
Find me where I said Vaas is a better bowler than McGrath overall.
If you take Vaas' good performances his average will be better than McGrath.
And given that the good is about 50\50 with the bad, that's not an illegitimate tactic.
Go on then, remove 50% of his test record and see if his average drops under 21.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
aussie

Richard said:
ok richard refresh my memory of some more challenging test innings that inzamam has scored other than his twin centuries in sri lanka last year when australia were on the ropes, his twin hundreds in india (especailly his 104 in chennai) and quite recently his 142 in the boxing day test when australia were in a bit of trouble.

tooextracool

International Coach
Richard said:
Yes, the one that lost that Test and that series was - missing as it was Atherton (for 3 games out of 5), Gough (for 4 games out of 5), and with Butcher, Stewart and Ramprakash out of form (and Fraser and Cork in the 1 game they played),
But in the final 2 Tests against SA they had Butcher performing, Atherton fit, Stewart performing, Fraser performing and Cork performing.
It was a team that was very rarely seen, which is why England were so poor in most of the late 90s.
al the excuses, dont you get the point that the only reason why players like butcher performed against SA back then were because SA performed poorly. you can come up with as many excuses as you want, only a fool would say that england were remotely near as good as SA in 98.

Richard said:
Which says that they either weren't as good as Australia or went to pieces when it mattered (not like that was unusual).
any team that falls to pieces when it matters most is clearly not good enough, especially considering that they were falling to pieces when they were playing in england.
and if they were worse than that australian team then maybe you should put that australian team amongst the best teams ever instead of some of the rubbish teams that you've put on there.

Richard said:
Why not? Mark and Stephen Waugh are certainly more proven than Slater and Clarke, good a player as Slater was. The only improvement is Kasprowicz for Lee.
because a side does not consist of 3 players?
lets talk about how good players like matthew elliott, ricky ponting( back then), mark taylor, greg blewett, paul reiffel etc are compared to gillespie, ricky ponting(now), martyn, langer etc.

tooextracool

International Coach
Richard said:
It's simply impossible that there weren't quite a few inswingers which he dealt with without trouble..
by whom? which of those fantastic bowlers from WI and pakistan were good enough to bowl them?

Richard said:
And Hoggard and Bicknell are fantastic, aren't they? No, they're just a bit better than the typical rubbish.
Yet they still troubled him.
hoggard is definetly not poor, and at least hes capable of swinging the ball and being relatively accurate. which is definetly not what i can say about fidel edwards( who id be surprised if hes ever bowled more than 1 ball every over that wasnt too short let alone the accuracy) and mohammad sami.

tooextracool

International Coach
Richard said:
They probably didn't, because some of the players were past it.
and yet you claim that that side was one of the best in the world 8-).
and really only 2 players were past it- waqar and mushtaq.

tooextracool

International Coach
Richard said:
I don't have anything against him, he's a good player, but I don't find him as good as Inzamam..
whos relatively poor records against the 3 best bowling attacks obviously make him better.

Richard said:
Yeah, I was trying to confuse people - you, of course, are usually able to spot that sort of thing..
or rather you posted something without thinking, in the attempt to try and save face from another argument, and then took it back extremely quickly. not the first time you've done that.

tooextracool

International Coach
Richard said:
No, I came to the conclusion that he was better than Hayden.
I never said he was better than either Waugh, Martyn, Ponting-against-seam, Gilchrist or even Langer-against-seam.
But obviously he was better than Hayden against seam and Ponting and Langer against spin.
so really had you decided to compare anwar to langer you would have come out with langer on top or possibly equal. and then compared hayden to wasti and come out with hayden on top. which really goes to show how much those 1 on 1 player comparisons are really worth.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Richard said:
Anything which involves premeditation, and failing to pick change in length etc. is simply poor batting and the bowler doesn't deserve any credit for it.
Why is it poor batting to fail to pick a change in length but not to pick a change in movement? A batsman who was playing Warne well would pick the one that goes straight on and not play for the turn. McGrath can get anyone (including Lara, Tendulkar etc... anyone) with his variations in length. He bowls an uncomfortable length which is difficult to play and gets the batsman in two minds about whether to go on the front or the back foot and induces a mistake. Another common tactic of his is when he gets batsmen to play away from their bodies by bowling a naggingly accurate line in the corridor just outside off-stump and moving the ball around in the air and off the wicket. If they leave every ball he bowls one on off stump, and then after they defend that he bowls one outside off moving away and they try and defend that and get an edge. I don't know how many times I've seen McGrath get this exact wicket, but it's alot.

Richard said:
And as for the assumption that on a flat pitch lateral movement won't be effective - eh? On a flat pitch you've got to either move the ball in the air or cut it (or bowl wristspin). That way you are suited to all conditions.
A flat pitch will not offer much in the way of lateral movement or turn, and as such bowlers have to use different strategies to get wickets. I have no idea what you are on about here. The whole point of talking about bowling on flat wickets is that there isn't much that bowlers can do in terms of moving it around, so they have to use alternative strategies - which often means beating the batsman with pace or subtle variations and inducing a poor stroke. Frustrating the batsman is also a common tactic on flat pitches, used by Warne and McGrath in particular to great effect. The very reason why McGrath is such a good player on flat wickets is that he doesn't rely on seaming the ball a mile or swinging it around a corner to get his wickets. He is accurate and can squeeze enough movement out of any pitch to get wickets, which is why he is the most successful bowler of his era.

Richard said:
All good bowlers rely on movement - it's how often you can achieve that movement that determines how good you are.
Again, this is completely wrong. You do not determine the best bowler by how much they move the ball. By this standard the best spinner in the world is Macgill and the best pacer in the world is Vaas. You determine the best bowler by how often they get batsman out and how well they can handle changes in match situation and playing conditions. McGrath is a proven bowler in all conditions against all opposition, and he particularly thrives in comparison to other bowlers on pitches which do not offer significant amounts of lateral movement.

Richard said:
Except there's no difference between their speeds.
Further evidence that you haven't been watching them recently. During the Australian tour Shoaib struggled to break 150 at all, and I watched entire spells of his bowling where he failed to do so. Lee has recently bowled entire spells where every ball aside from the first 2 or 3 was above 150, and entire overs above 155 at the height of his spells. He's also broken 160 (100 mph) with consecutive balls in his last ODI.

tooextracool

International Coach
Richard said:
1 good swinger can trouble anyone if it's good enough..
oh what rubbish, are you saying that if someone bowls 1 inswinger against someone whos susceptible against it hes bound to get him out? no at the most he might make him feel uncomfortable thats just about it.

Richard said:
Added to the fact that it was probably about 1 in 20 or 30 Edwards deliveries.
doubt it, i highly doubt the chances of edwards bowling one on target and getting to swing in on the same ball happening once every few overs.