• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The ICC Super Series

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
aussie

well thats true hayden hasn't made much runs on seaming wickets. He didn't even make a century overhere in the 2001 ashes series which was strange because he made so much runs in county cricket and also didn't make much in his only test in new zealand when australia were last their. But seaming conditions are tough for much batsmen to make runs anyway.

tooextracool

International Coach
Richard said:
I have also started to wonder at his form during those Tests, because it's not like he didn't get inswingers during the two double-centuries, and I find it impossible to conceive that he didn't get any during his 150 against Pakistan,
probably not, given that waqar was finished, sami is well worse than rubbish, and well les just leave mohammad zahid out of it.

Richard said:
either, or his 132* against NZ. And he certainly got a few during his very productive home WI series.
because the quality of the WI bowling so brilliant isnt it?
yes hed probably got a few in swingers from chris martin who was bowling better than most bowlers in the world can possibly bowl, but one isolated inning doesnt really say much.

Richard said:
He's got obvious flaws and it's going to get him out plenty - but before that series he'd usually scored a stack of runs in between it getting him out.
yes against rubbish bowlers....

tooextracool

International Coach
Richard said:
The fact that they lost in Zimbabwe simply suggests that they were capable of playing exceptionally poorly.
so please, show me exactly the evidence that they were a good test team, let alone one of the best ever?
was it when they lost to SA at home in 97-98?
or when they lost to SA in SA in 98?
or when they lost to zim at home in 98?
or when they lost to australia at home in 98?
or maybe it was when they got hammered in australia in 99?
or perhaps when they lost to SL at home in 2000?

lets hear it then, when did this inconsistent pakistan side ever perform incredibly well?

Last edited:

tooextracool

International Coach
Richard said:
All right, he isn't twice the player Martyn is. But I am still pretty confident his average vs India will rise soon..
while martyn already has a good average against india and every other team in the world. what exactly do you have against martyn, when hes been performing consistently against every team in the world?

Richard said:
I wasn't referring to that, I was referring to the pre-1998 record.
even though you were boasting about how good pakistan were post 98?

tooextracool

International Coach
Richard said:
I really don't know, I only saw him bat in 5 Tests (all vs England) during the time I was seriously watching and he didn't do particularly well (didn't get dropped once).
If he did get dropped lots, maybe he's a Pakistani Sehwag.
and without watching him you came to the conclusion that he was better than most of the aussie players in the side. sheer brilliance.

tooextracool

International Coach
Richard said:
This one, presumably?
(Third Test, second-innings)
Edwards was the one I was referring to - however wayward he was for just about all that series, I refuse to believe that he didn't get any in the right areas given how many deliveries he bowled to Graeme in the series.
how often can he do it? getting 1 in swinger in the right place every 100 balls wont trouble courteney walsh let alone graeme smith.

tooextracool

International Coach
Richard said:
No, they're not - a review of the calibre of the players is more accurate.
so a team that has all the best players yet gets humiliated by other teams is still the best team in the world?
dont be ridiculous, the best team in the world is the one that performs the best, not the one that can or mgiht.

tooextracool

International Coach
Richard said:
Because the players were better, even if in these particular instances they didn't play as if that was the case.
so the best team in the world is at team that could only beat SL......

tooextracool

International Coach
Richard said:
And of course Chaminda Vaas when he bowls well is a hell of a lot better than McGrath, he can take a batting-line-up apart without them playing poor strokes on any pitch, McGrath can't.
as shown by his performanes in england, clearly he can bowl on any pitch, with his brilliant average of 30.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
aussie said:
no u said that i am capable of some durrbrain comments and some nonsesical passages and i want u to refresh my memory of some that i have posted
The one that tec said "could there be more factually incorrect information in this post?" to.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
FaaipDeOiad said:
No, neither of them are remotely close. Vaas on good form is closer, but he's still leagues behind McGrath, who is one of the all-time great seamers. Nobody in the world today comes close to him.
No, it's not that simple.
Vaas bowling at the top of his game is unparralled.
One would be inclined to wonder how ANYONE could be a good bowler by your standards. Not only are 70% of all-wickets undeserved, but only the balls that move a mile are counted as valid wickets. And, since you refuse to acknowledge the bowlers ability to bowl to a plan and out-think the batsman and instead only take interest in the wicket ball, the concept of variation basically goes out the window. If Warne gets a wicket with the one that goes straight on after an over of big spinning leg-breaks, he doesn't deserve the wicket because it didn't move a mile.
Rubbish, he used variation in movement, of course he deserves it.
It certainly wasn't a poor stroke. It was the logical stroke to play, but it turned-out to be wrong.
Anything which involves premeditation, and failing to pick change in length etc. is simply poor batting and the bowler doesn't deserve any credit for it.
And as for 70% of wickets are undeserved, I don't have any problem with a spell of 4 or 5 wickets where 2 of them were good bowling and the other 3 were poor strokes. What I have a problem with is a 5 or 6-for where every wicket came from a non-wicket-taking delivery.
Rubbish. The majority of wickets from bowlers who aren't one trick ponies who rely on the ball swinging or turning on a dustbowl come from the bowler using clever planning and variation to force the batsman into a mistake. The great bowlers of our time are clear evidence of that.
Yes, variation - mostly in amount of movement.
Not in anything else.
Again, utter rubbish. Some of the great bowlers in test cricket did not rely on large amounts of movement to get wickets, which is precisely why they were effective on flat wickets which all bowlers run into from time to time. Clearly a flat wicket is one which offers little in terms of assistance for the bowlers and as such lateral movement will not be particularly effective. McGrath relies on nagging accuracy, subtle variations and small amounts of movement, which is why he is so effective on flat wickets. Ambrose, another great bowler of our time, was not the sort who relied on large amounts of movement, and neither is Shaun Pollock. Some bowlers use extreme pace and intimidation to get wickets, and others still use large amounts of movement. Hell, Pathan moves the ball in the air more than McGrath as well. Is he a better bowler? Hoggard is a better swing bowler than McGrath, is he a better bowler?
All a flat pitch is strictly one even in pace and bounce. It's a term often used (including by me) as one offering nothing significant in turn or seam either.
And as for the assumption that on a flat pitch lateral movement won't be effective - eh? On a flat pitch you've got to either move the ball in the air or cut it (or bowl wristspin). That way you are suited to all conditions.
Ambrose hardly moved it in the air, but on a seaming pitch he seamed it and on a flat or turning pitch he cut it.
Pollock and McGrath whenever I've been watching have simply relied on poor strokes. And Pollock hasn't had as many in the last 3 years.
All good bowlers rely on movement - it's how often you can achieve that movement that determines how good you are.
This is just as idiotic as saying that Lee is the best bowler in the world because he is the quickest, and Shoaib is second.
Except there's no difference between their speeds.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
marc71178 said:
A one off maybe.

But a whole series where the team lost 3 and drew 2 yet you rate the side higher than the current Australians.

How on Earth does that work?
As you should have noticed, I don't.
I'm simply arguing that their losing to Zimbabwe means precisely sod-all.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
marc71178 said:
How is that a glaring mistake?

I asked him a question about quoting the wrong thing because I wanted to know what post he intended to quote.

There was no need for you to butt in and insult him.
Like tec hasn't done already.
He could have made one of two mistakes - quoted the wrong passage or (as he's done several times) said someone's name having quoted someone else's post.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
tooextracool said:
no clearly they were not, i mean the side that lost to both NZ and SL at home, clearly wasnt a poor team.
Yes, the one that lost that Test and that series was - missing as it was Atherton (for 3 games out of 5), Gough (for 4 games out of 5), and with Butcher, Stewart and Ramprakash out of form (and Fraser and Cork in the 1 game they played),
But in the final 2 Tests against SA they had Butcher performing, Atherton fit, Stewart performing, Fraser performing and Cork performing.
It was a team that was very rarely seen, which is why England were so poor in most of the late 90s.
which makes them better than australia how exactly?
lowt by an inning in the game that they did lose too.
Which says that they either weren't as good as Australia or went to pieces when it mattered (not like that was unusual).
because they couldnt beat a significantly worse australian side then, there really isnt much argument that the aussie side of 01 and now is better than the one back then.
Why not? Mark and Stephen Waugh are certainly more proven than Slater and Clarke, good a player as Slater was. The only improvement is Kasprowicz for Lee.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
aussie said:
well thats true hayden hasn't made much runs on seaming wickets. He didn't even make a century overhere in the 2001 ashes series which was strange because he made so much runs in county cricket and also didn't make much in his only test in new zealand when australia were last their. But seaming conditions are tough for much batsmen to make runs anyway.
Not really very strange that he made runs in county cricket, given that he played for Northants, whose ground typically produces turning pitches, on which he generally excels.

Scallywag

Banned
Richard said:
Of course not - he's not Australian.

You know thats a pretty lame excuse you allways trot out Richard.

look at their records and see what each bowler has achieved, its nothing to do with McGrath being Australian. But I have noticed that you seem to try and twist any fact to degrade any Australian performance, if we all believed you then Australia has won the most games with the worst team ever to walk on the field. You just come across as very anti-Australian and allways looking for ways to degrade them. You seem to be extremely poor at judging cricketers.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
tooextracool said:
probably not, given that waqar was finished, sami is well worse than rubbish, and well les just leave mohammad zahid out of it.

because the quality of the WI bowling so brilliant isnt it?
yes hed probably got a few in swingers from chris martin who was bowling better than most bowlers in the world can possibly bowl, but one isolated inning doesnt really say much.
It's simply impossible that there weren't quite a few inswingers which he dealt with without trouble.
yes against rubbish bowlers....
And Hoggard and Bicknell are fantastic, aren't they? No, they're just a bit better than the typical rubbish.
Yet they still troubled him.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Scallywag said:
You know thats a pretty lame excuse you allways trot out Richard.

look at their records and see what each bowler has achieved, its nothing to do with McGrath being Australian. But I have noticed that you seem to try and twist any fact to degrade any Australian performance, if we all believed you then Australia has won the most games with the worst team ever to walk on the field. You just come across as very anti-Australian and allways looking for ways to degrade them. You seem to be extremely poor at judging cricketers.
Find me where I said Vaas is a better bowler than McGrath overall.
If you take Vaas' good performances his average will be better than McGrath.
And given that the good is about 50\50 with the bad, that's not an illegitimate tactic.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
tooextracool said:
so please, show me exactly the evidence that they were a good test team, let alone one of the best ever?
was it when they lost to SA at home in 97-98?
or when they lost to SA in SA in 98?
or when they lost to zim at home in 98?
or when they lost to australia at home in 98?
or maybe it was when they got hammered in australia in 99?
or perhaps when they lost to SL at home in 2000?

lets hear it then, when did this inconsistent pakistan side ever perform incredibly well?
They probably didn't, because some of the players were past it.