• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The second tier of test cricket

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Neil Pickup said:
The Zimbabwean cricket team is nothing more than a political pawn of Mad Bob.

The whole country needs the Apartheid treatment, and being ostracised from International relations.
Spot on.

When Davey Houghton is saying Zim aren't up to it at test level anymore you know there is something in it.

I don't think Bangladesh should have their test status removed, but also shouldn't be part of the ICC test championship rota until they're more competitive. Gradual exposure rather than forcing them blinking into the spotlight was what was needed.

Langeveldt

Soutie
Neil Pickup said:
The Zimbabwean cricket team is nothing more than a political pawn of Mad Bob.

The whole country needs the Apartheid treatment, and being ostracised from International relations.
Im not sure about that now.. Consisting now of 4 or 5 whites, are you certain that is true? Would Mad Bob want to assosciate himself with it?

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Langeveldt said:
Im not sure about that now.. Consisting now of 4 or 5 whites, are you certain that is true? Would Mad Bob want to assosciate himself with it?
Whilst Mugabe is still patron of ZC...

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Neil Pickup said:
It is undoubtedly the future for teams stepping up to Test level in the future, but for Bangladesh, demotion will only set back the profile of the game in the country and hurt its development.
If Bangla or Zimbabwe got dropped then it would reduce their game slightly but the inprovement to the other teams would out value that. How much would Scotland, kenya and Holland improve if they got regular games aganist Bangla and Zimbabwe, as well as matches aganist A Teams. The improvement to the our teams is more impotent then a drop in profile to Bangladesh

Retox

State Vice-Captain
chaminda_00 said:
If Bangla or Zimbabwe got dropped then it would reduce their game slightly but the inprovement to the other teams would out value that. How much would Scotland, kenya and Holland improve if they got regular games aganist Bangla and Zimbabwe, as well as matches aganist A Teams. The improvement to the our teams is more impotent then a drop in profile to Bangladesh

How about have

All the minor teams (Zim,Bang,Scotland,USA,Holland,Kenya,ETC,ETC) Have there own test arena kinda thing where they don't play the likes of Oz or NZ but play them selfs. Its no use playing them vs Oz or NZ all the time cause they will get there ass's kicked each time. I am sure the fans in these countries would rather see a close game between Scotland and Zim then Aussie thrash them in 30 mins.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Retox said:
How about have

All the minor teams (Zim,Bang,Scotland,USA,Holland,Kenya,ETC,ETC) Have there own test arena kinda thing where they don't play the likes of Oz or NZ but play them selfs. Its no use playing them vs Oz or NZ all the time cause they will get there ass's kicked each time. I am sure the fans in these countries would rather see a close game between Scotland and Zim then Aussie thrash them in 30 mins.
That sounds ok but impotent thing if they drop from Test Cricket and from thier own group is that they get games aganist A Teams, that will fast track their development. Also if they play matches they shouldn't be test matches just FC Matches.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
chaminda_00 said:
That sounds ok but impotent thing if they drop from Test Cricket and from thier own group is that they get games aganist A Teams, that will fast track their development. Also if they play matches they shouldn't be test matches just FC Matches.
ICC InterContinental Cup

Black Thunder

School Boy/Girl Captain
I've always been in support of second tier test competition - with the games being touted as first class matches.

The teams in the top tier would be the top 8 at the moment - Australia, England, India, New Zealand, Pakistan, South Africa, Sri Lanka and West Indies. The teams would contest test matches against each other.

The following teams could make up a second tier - Bangladesh, Kenya, Zimbabwe, Namibia, Netherlands, Scotland and Canada. These teams would meet consistently in one-day clashes counted as List A matches (occasoinally the top teams invited to participate in ODI's against the top tier), and would also play a handful of four-day matches a year which would be counted as First Class matches. The top second tier could also play against the national 2nd XI of the top tier teams - good results in these matches over a consistent period of time would see a second tier team moving into full qualification for test cricket.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Black Thunder said:
I've always been in support of second tier test competition - with the games being touted as first class matches.

The teams in the top tier would be the top 8 at the moment - Australia, England, India, New Zealand, Pakistan, South Africa, Sri Lanka and West Indies. The teams would contest test matches against each other.

The following teams could make up a second tier - Bangladesh, Kenya, Zimbabwe, Namibia, Netherlands, Scotland and Canada. These teams would meet consistently in one-day clashes counted as List A matches (occasoinally the top teams invited to participate in ODI's against the top tier), and would also play a handful of four-day matches a year which would be counted as First Class matches. The top second tier could also play against the national 2nd XI of the top tier teams - good results in these matches over a consistent period of time would see a second tier team moving into full qualification for test cricket.
I totally agree with this, the current 2nd Teir Competition (InterCont. Cup) is ok but there are some small problems with it. The teams only play a minium of 2 games a year, not enough. Also the matches only last 3 days, they really should be 4 days at least. Also the teams that play in the InterCont. Cup don't get any fixtured matches aganist the A sides.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Neil Pickup said:
Why will Australia get better through not playing Bangladesh?
Because they won't get any false things like MacGill looking like a good bowler by playing Bangladesh - and instead they'll drop MacGill and pick someone better (if, of course, there is anyone)?
Test-cricket, as a whole, would undoubtedly be stronger if Bangladesh weren't included.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
BoyBrumby said:
Spot on.

When Davey Houghton is saying Zim aren't up to it at test level anymore you know there is something in it.
I've known there is something in it LONG before Davey Houghton said anything.
I've known it since Zimbabwe were thrashed by a weak England side - and even more so since they conceded a World-record score.

garage flower

State Vice-Captain
Richard said:
I've known there is something in it LONG before Davey Houghton said anything.
I've known it since Zimbabwe were thrashed by a weak England side - and even more so since they conceded a World-record score.
Of course you've known it for ages Richard, but mere mortals like Dave Houghton can't hope to be as preternaturally perceptive as you.

garage flower

State Vice-Captain
Richard said:
No, they can just be more lenient than it's good for the game to be.
Richard, just try and keep that razor-sharp wit of yours in check please, before you rip us all to metaphorical shreds.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Don't accuse someone of failing to use something they're clearly not even trying to use.

garage flower

State Vice-Captain
Richard said:
Don't accuse someone of failing to use something they're clearly not even trying to use.
Which implies, rather optimistically I think, that you could if you wanted to.

Just trying to get you to lighten up a bit. It seems to me that the more seriously you take yourself, the less seriously everybody else takes you and your often eccentric theories.

Clearly though, trying to coax any semblance of wit or humour from you is an impossible task.

Last edited:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
No, I'm no expert at being funny and I wouldn't ever claim I could be.
I'm just not one of those guys who can think of the funny liners on their feet.
I'm relatively happy that most people on here take me pretty seriously, though.