• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Australia in 2007 World Cup

Mr Casson

Cricketer Of The Year
Neil Pickup said:
Marcus North failed to set the world on fire in the CC last year by any stretch.
Clarke had a pretty average time in the county scene, but at international level since then has been what I would call... international standard. ;)

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Slats4ever said:
Time and time again Australian domestic sides beat international ones, showing that yes u can read a lot into how Aussies would perform on test level based on their domestic performance.
No, it shows that they play harder than the International teams do in those games.

THe fact is they're just warm-ups for the International side, and mean precisely nothing to them.

Scallywag

Banned
Neil Pickup said:
Which makes them entirely unproven.
Aussie said they are proven talents and he is correct, these players have been identified by the Australian cricket selectors as talented cricketers that could make it on the international scene, a bit like Clarke was. Lots of players have been identified as having talent before playing their first test because you generally need talent to be selected. Proven players no but definiatley proven talents.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Slats4ever said:
that's a soft excuse mark...
So if Australia loss a couple tour games aganist the English counties what does that say. When Ireland beat WIs and Zimbabwe in tour games does that mean Ireland should have ODI status. A tour game is nothing else but a warm up match u shouldn't read soo much into them.

Scallywag said:
Aussie said they are proven talents and he is correct, these players have been identified by the Australian cricket selectors as talented cricketers that could make it on the international scene, a bit like Clarke was. Lots of players have been identified as having talent before playing their first test because you generally need talent to be selected. Proven players no but definiatley proven talents.
Well if that is the case then does that mean all the players selected for Sri Lanka 'A' by the national selectors are proven talents as well. You not a proven talent unless u do something on the international stage. Guys like Pathan are proven talent as showen the talent they have on the international stage. But he still is not proven as a players as he isn't seasonal international. That what proven talent is nothing else.

Scallywag

Banned
chaminda_00 said:
Well if that is the case then does that mean all the players selected for Sri Lanka 'A' by the national selectors are proven talents as well. You not a proven talent unless u do something on the international stage. Guys like Pathan are proven talent as showen the talent they have on the international stage. But he still is not proven as a players as he isn't seasonal international. That what proven talent is nothing else.
Well what are you saying, the Sri Lankan A team has no talent.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Scallywag said:
Well what are you saying, the Sri Lankan A team has no talent.
No just that they are unproven cus they done nothing of any note on the International Stage, apart from a couple of guys who have brillant records for Sri Lnaka A and decent records for the national team, i.e Hearth, Maharoof etc.

Tom Halsey

International Coach
FaaipDeOiad said:
It's unproven at test level of course, but that doesn't mean you can't look at the international and domestic performances of the players in question and say that they would probably be successful.

I mean, a true A team based on recent performances would look something like:
Hussey
Elliot/Maher
Hodge
Watson
Bevan
Symonds
Haddin
Bichel
Lee
Macgill
Tait

That's a pretty good side on paper.
Domestic cricket doesn't automatically equal International success - Graeme Hick, anyone?

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Tom Halsey said:
Domestic cricket doesn't automatically equal International success - Graeme Hick, anyone?
As I said, it is a good side on paper. Whether or not they would win test matches is completely up in the air, but I would be pretty confident in the vast majority of those players to do well, just like I'm confident that Pathan, Kaneria, Pietersen and others will do well. They might not, and they certainly aren't proven yet, but I'd back them.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
aussie

when i say guys like north, tait, hussey, katich, white, hodge, bird, doherty, ronchi, jaques, johnson, cosgrove etc are proven talents i mean it in the sense that to the australian selectors they have what it takes iin the selectors eyes to play for australia in the future. For exmaple when Australia had thier first ever youth team team tour in 1991 to the caribbean when their were guys in the side like warne, bevan , fleming, cox, julian, Mcgrath, Martyn, Lehmann, law, dawes langer, hayden, berry, bichel, Blewett etc one selector said that quote: `` these crop of young players are proven talents and are the future of australian cricket ``.

And if u look at that group you can see why i am using what that selector said tho define this new crop the upcoming aussie players.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
aussie said:
when i say guys like north, tait, hussey, katich, white, hodge, bird, doherty, ronchi, jaques, johnson, cosgrove etc are proven talents i mean it in the sense that to the australian selectors they have what it takes iin the selectors eyes to play for australia in the future. For exmaple when Australia had thier first ever youth team team tour in 1991 to the caribbean when their were guys in the side like warne, bevan , fleming, cox, julian, Mcgrath, Martyn, Lehmann, law, dawes langer, hayden, berry, bichel, Blewett etc one selector said that quote: `` these crop of young players are proven talents and are the future of australian cricket ``.

And if u look at that group you can see why i am using what that selector said tho define this new crop the upcoming aussie players.
True but how many of the Indian U19 WC winning side back in 1998 are in the national team. You have to prove ur talent, to be classifed as a proven talent. Their are many guys around Australia and the world that have played for U19 sides and other youth sides but have not gone onto to play International Cricket or even FC Cricket. Their is a guys by the name of Mark McInness who plays of Manly in grade cricket in sydney who went on youth tous for Australia but has yet to play FC cricket for NSW. He struggles to make the 1st Grade side these days. He is diffently a talents but by no means a proven talent.

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
John the Bookie said:
It's nice to see that someone thinks that Bracken has potential. He's been unfairly dismissed as proven failure at test level because of his performance in the Sydney Test. What is less known is that he injured himself fielding during that match which hampered his bowling and would have left the field if it wasn't Steve Waugh last match. Lets hope it is not Nathan Bracken last match as well.
You really should post more. Really. :D

See: [Bracken; My love for]

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I know the world in the caribbean ins still two years away but the way my australians are looking at the moment and the talent they have in reserve onc they play at the capable best in the 2007 world cup no team in world cricket can stop them. I f u dont believe me look at these facts. here is my possible 15 -man squad for the aussies with their ages during the world cup

1.Ricky Ponting - captain Age: 32 in 2007 world cup
2.Adam Gilchrist - w/keeper Age: 35 in 2007 world cup
3.Micheal Clarke Age: 26
4.Damien Martyn Age: 35
5.Andrew Symonds Age: 31
6.Micheal Hussey Age: 31
7.Brad Hodge Age: 32
8.Shane Watson Age: 25
9.James Hopes Age: 28
10.Brad Haddin - back up keeper Age: 29
11.Cameron White Age: 23
12.Brett Lee Age: 29
13.Jason Gillespie Age: 32
14.Damien Wright Age: 31
15.Glenn McGrath Age: 37

an even if u blokes dont agree wid my fifteen n u might say guys like gilchrist, mcgrath and martyn might not be around their is superb back up talent with the likes of Simon Katich, David Hussey, the young extermely quick Shaun tait, Nathan Bracken, Marcus North etc

Lets here ur views
This, for Colin, is pretty damn impressive. Kyle's comment below was a good-'un too of course. Though some of the ages are wrong. :p
That would be pretty close, assuming none of the players get dropped or injured.
This was his first post BTW.

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
Wow, honestly, a freaking monkey could have named 20 players back then and have 12 of them play in the WC. Wasn't exactly an amazing prediction.