Cricket Betting Site Betway
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: super 18

super 18

is it time for the doestic teams of nz, australia and sth africa to have a competition similar to the super 12 (14) rugby.

I have reseached that in total there are 18 domestic teams made up of 6 from each country. I believe if you split the 18 into two groups of 9 would be the best way. each team plays each other once in both forms of the game 50 overs and 4 days. therefore one team would play a total of 16 games 8 home games which 4 will be 50 overs and 4 day games. each team would also have 2 separate rest weeks because of the uneven number in each group (this would be rewarding due to the travel etc) however all this travel and playing can be seen as a bonus to groom players and prepare for the riggers of international cricket.

exampl below.

Group A.
    (Aust) N.S.W, Qld, Tas. (NZ) Auck, C.D, Nthn. (S.Afr) Dolphins, Warriors, Lions.
    Group B.
    (Aust) S.A, Vict, W.A. (N.Z) Well, Otago, Cant. (S.Afr) Eagles, Titans, Boland.

The top team from each group re: both games plays each other for overall winner.
    this is repeated for the runner ups of each team however they are playing for 3rd and 4th.
    to work out 5th down to 18th is basically calculated from their points they have earned from their 16 games.

each year the two groups are randomly selected.

Hall of Fame Member FaaipDeOiad's Avatar
    I actually think an idea like this could have some merit, if the timing could be worked out to avoid clashing with current domestic seasons too much. It would give first class players experience of different conditions, and probably generate a fair bit more excitement in general over domestic cricket where attendances and so on are flagging. Personally, I think a lot more people would be likely to go to say the Gabba to see Queensland take on a South African side in a match of importance than just another Pura Cup game.

I don't know about the other countries, but Australian domestic cricket is not massively demanding on players in terms of matches played per season and so on (at least compared to English county cricket), so it could perhaps be managed, although it might need to be shorter in duration than what you propose here. Maybe only the top two or three sides from each country each year would play in it? Something like that.

International Vice-Captain Linda's Avatar
    Sounds like an awesome one-off series, but unless it replaced the current domestic competitions, theres not really room for it annually.
    Also it might cost a hellava lot more.. but then again it might generate more money aswell.
    I actually kind of like that idea!

"I know I underperformed but after the past 18 months I thought I might have received more than four Test matches' grace."
    - DR Martyn.

"Is there any way to make it longer?"
    Peter English on Twenty20

Official Face of the v. hip 'Twenty20 Is Boring Society'

Request Your Custom Title Now! Simon's Avatar
    wouldnt be popular cause international players wouldnt play it, in Australia NSW vs Qld in FC struggles to get 1000 people, i shudder to think how much NSW vs Dolphins would draw...
    crowd figures and sponsorship money wouldnt make it worth the cost of travel and other stuff...

Quote Originally Posted by broncoman
    wouldnt be popular cause international players wouldnt play it, in Australia NSW vs Qld in FC struggles to get 1000 people, i shudder to think how much NSW vs Dolphins would draw...
    crowd figures and sponsorship money wouldnt make it worth the cost of travel and other stuff...
    I'm not so sure about that... I think if a competition like this was set up, like the Super 12 it would be massively hyped as the next big thing in cricket. Maybe the four day games would have low attendances after the brief honeymoon period, but I can see an important OD match between an Australian domestic side and one from overseas generating a fair bit of interest and certainly warranting local television coverage.

The main problem with it I think would be the schedual, unless as mentioned it was to replace the current domestic competition, which would be a poor idea in my view.

i would say it would replace or domestic competitions in all three countrys. pura would sponsor all aussie state teams, state insurance woyuld sponsor all nz teams and what ever sth africa is. then introduce a big sponsor for overall sponsor. i don't know ford, qantas something like that. it's the logical next step in domestic cricket.

Wasn't there a competition like this in Australia a few years ago that Central Districts from New Zealand won?

Plasmanaut on Fire Champion!
    probably little hit and giggle comp
    Member of CW Green
    Kerry O'Keefe - Worlds funniest Commentator

It'd be good, but never happen.

As James mentioned this idea was tried a few years ago, where all the domestic LO champs played in a comp in Western Australia. I think Western Australia beat Natal in the final.

Request Your Custom Title Now! Simon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Marius
    As James mentioned this idea was tried a few years ago, where all the domestic LO champs played in a comp in Western Australia. I think Western Australia beat Natal in the final.
    yeh i kinda remember that, obviously it was so popular no one knows much about it!

International Regular chris.hinton's Avatar
    It would be a decent idea but the Top player would not be able to play anyway as they are with their National teams

I would like a champions cup style competiton with 10 Domestic league winners

well a idea would be playing twenty20 games... They would be quicker, attract more people and tv coverige...

Quote Originally Posted by dro87
    well a idea would be playing twenty20 games... They would be quicker, attract more people and tv coverige...
    This is a good idea too. I'm not at all keen in seeing 20/20 become a regular fixture in international cricket, but in domestic cricket as a sort of midseason carnival it could work out and attract people a bit more to the real thing, and I can see a Super 12s type competition working out well for it. It could be held in a different country each year, over a period of a couple of weeks at the most.

I think twenty20 cricket is the only way to get more people involved in cricket... It's the olny format cricket can become famous in countries like USA, Italy, France, Japan and make it a really world known sport...

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information