• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

super 18

slugger

State Vice-Captain
is it time for the doestic teams of nz, australia and sth africa to have a competition similar to the super 12 (14) rugby.

I have reseached that in total there are 18 domestic teams made up of 6 from each country. I believe if you split the 18 into two groups of 9 would be the best way. each team plays each other once in both forms of the game 50 overs and 4 days. therefore one team would play a total of 16 games 8 home games which 4 will be 50 overs and 4 day games. each team would also have 2 separate rest weeks because of the uneven number in each group (this would be rewarding due to the travel etc) however all this travel and playing can be seen as a bonus to groom players and prepare for the riggers of international cricket.

exampl below.

Group A.
(Aust) N.S.W, Qld, Tas. (NZ) Auck, C.D, Nthn. (S.Afr) Dolphins, Warriors, Lions.
Group B.
(Aust) S.A, Vict, W.A. (N.Z) Well, Otago, Cant. (S.Afr) Eagles, Titans, Boland.

The top team from each group re: both games plays each other for overall winner.
this is repeated for the runner ups of each team however they are playing for 3rd and 4th.
to work out 5th down to 18th is basically calculated from their points they have earned from their 16 games.

each year the two groups are randomly selected.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
I actually think an idea like this could have some merit, if the timing could be worked out to avoid clashing with current domestic seasons too much. It would give first class players experience of different conditions, and probably generate a fair bit more excitement in general over domestic cricket where attendances and so on are flagging. Personally, I think a lot more people would be likely to go to say the Gabba to see Queensland take on a South African side in a match of importance than just another Pura Cup game.

I don't know about the other countries, but Australian domestic cricket is not massively demanding on players in terms of matches played per season and so on (at least compared to English county cricket), so it could perhaps be managed, although it might need to be shorter in duration than what you propose here. Maybe only the top two or three sides from each country each year would play in it? Something like that.

Linda

International Vice-Captain
Sounds like an awesome one-off series, but unless it replaced the current domestic competitions, theres not really room for it annually.
Also it might cost a hellava lot more.. but then again it might generate more money aswell.
I actually kind of like that idea! :p

Simon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
wouldnt be popular cause international players wouldnt play it, in Australia NSW vs Qld in FC struggles to get 1000 people, i shudder to think how much NSW vs Dolphins would draw...
crowd figures and sponsorship money wouldnt make it worth the cost of travel and other stuff...

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
broncoman said:
wouldnt be popular cause international players wouldnt play it, in Australia NSW vs Qld in FC struggles to get 1000 people, i shudder to think how much NSW vs Dolphins would draw...
crowd figures and sponsorship money wouldnt make it worth the cost of travel and other stuff...
I'm not so sure about that... I think if a competition like this was set up, like the Super 12 it would be massively hyped as the next big thing in cricket. Maybe the four day games would have low attendances after the brief honeymoon period, but I can see an important OD match between an Australian domestic side and one from overseas generating a fair bit of interest and certainly warranting local television coverage.

The main problem with it I think would be the schedual, unless as mentioned it was to replace the current domestic competition, which would be a poor idea in my view.

slugger

State Vice-Captain
i would say it would replace or domestic competitions in all three countrys. pura would sponsor all aussie state teams, state insurance woyuld sponsor all nz teams and what ever sth africa is. then introduce a big sponsor for overall sponsor. i don't know ford, qantas something like that. it's the logical next step in domestic cricket.

James

Cricket Web Owner
Wasn't there a competition like this in Australia a few years ago that Central Districts from New Zealand won?

Marius

International Debutant
As James mentioned this idea was tried a few years ago, where all the domestic LO champs played in a comp in Western Australia. I think Western Australia beat Natal in the final.

Simon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Marius said:
As James mentioned this idea was tried a few years ago, where all the domestic LO champs played in a comp in Western Australia. I think Western Australia beat Natal in the final.
yeh i kinda remember that, obviously it was so popular no one knows much about it!

chris.hinton

International Captain
It would be a decent idea but the Top player would not be able to play anyway as they are with their National teams

I would like a champions cup style competiton with 10 Domestic league winners

dro87

U19 12th Man
well a idea would be playing twenty20 games... They would be quicker, attract more people and tv coverige...

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
dro87 said:
well a idea would be playing twenty20 games... They would be quicker, attract more people and tv coverige...
This is a good idea too. I'm not at all keen in seeing 20/20 become a regular fixture in international cricket, but in domestic cricket as a sort of midseason carnival it could work out and attract people a bit more to the real thing, and I can see a Super 12s type competition working out well for it. It could be held in a different country each year, over a period of a couple of weeks at the most.

dro87

U19 12th Man
I think twenty20 cricket is the only way to get more people involved in cricket... It's the olny format cricket can become famous in countries like USA, Italy, France, Japan and make it a really world known sport...

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
I think something like this sounds good in a Twenty20 format cus 4 Day and even 50 Over may take too long to finish, and therefore drag out for too long. You could have the 18 SH sides taking on each at the start of their seasons. The only problem i see to this is that the Kiwis side may bring down the standard a little bit (no offence to Kiwi supporter) but it might be better if u just had South and North Island sides. Therefore u have 14 teams and everyone can play each other once. The championship would go for like 2 months and then the teams can play their own nation championships for the next 4 months. Something like this would add allot to the domestic calender for all three countires.

Sir Redman

State Vice-Captain
I think the biggest problem with a competition like this is that the Aussie sides would probably thrash everyone else. While NZ, SA and Aus are around the same level in rugby there is a large gap in cricket that would make this a very one-sided competition

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
Marius said:
Yes, the top OD side from New Zealand, Australia, South Africa and India competed in a competition at the end of the OD season in Perth.

I like the sound of another tournament involving South African, New Zealand and Australian domestic sides though. Personally, I think a competition involving the top two New Zealand and South African sides, and the top three Australian sides would prove more successful and would possibly be easier to organise with just the best eight teams.

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
Its good in theory, but unlike Rugby, FC Cricket is a 4 day affair and imagine the cost for 18 teams travelling would incur. There won't be enough money from Sponsors for this.

Aussies would feel they have little to benefit from such a comp and wouldn't want to have anything to do with it.

If three countries agree , they could try a 6 team format. ie 2 teams from each country. But still Aussie Teams would thrash all others very easily, so would not have much spectator interest or TV interest from a competitive point of view.

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
JASON said:
Its good in theory, but unlike Rugby, FC Cricket is a 4 day affair and imagine the cost for 18 teams travelling would incur. There won't be enough money from Sponsors for this.

Aussies would feel they have little to benefit from such a comp and wouldn't want to have anything to do with it.

If three countries agree , they could try a 6 team format. ie 2 teams from each country. But still Aussie Teams would thrash all others very easily, so would not have much spectator interest or TV interest from a competitive point of view.
I don't think a First Class competition is the way to go, Limited Overs cricket would be the best option IMO. I think the Australians would want to field their sides in this competition if it was a possibility, as the experience for the lesser known players in New Zealand and South Africa would be invaluable.