24 40.00%
  • any

6 10.00%
Page 12 of 23 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Thread: India Or Pakistan

An Aussie with a Lancashire accent living in Keighley,West Yorks
    Quote Originally Posted by C_C
    He smacked around WI ? when ?
    His first series he averaged a meager 10 runs from 7 inning...second series he averaged 35 from 9 innings.......it wasnt until the third series - 4 years after his debut in 95- when he did any good against WI, averaging 50 from 10 innings.....but he flopped in his last series in 2000...16.5 average from 7 innings......

Hick averaged 10.7 in his first year, 23.2 in his second, 47.5 in his third and 39.1 in his fourth and it wasnt until his fifth year that he averaged 50 in the year...and then promptly went downhill again.......

As far as i am concerned he was the most overhyped player EVER to play cricket.......**** poor average of 31 through his career and compared to Bradman during his early years and around 95 some english commentators had the audacity to suggest that he was better than Tendulkar........now thats what i call talkin shyte.

Would take a player like Ganguly or Fleming 10 times outta 10 over Hick.
    In 1988 for Worcs he scored getting on 200 vs WI. Around that time,if Hick got in (which he did more often than not),you could almost be certian he would get a hundred.

There hasnt been as dominant batsman in domestic cricket since,and indeed hadnt been one for god knows how many years before
    rave down, hit the ground

MSN: djjacksono@hotmail.com

C_C
    Well that begs the question: why didnt hick debut then but 3 years later ?

And yea...he dominated the domestic english scene......but not to the extent Lara did in his season with Warwickshire or the way Tendy dominated Indian FC scene...
    Hick was just the most overrated thing to ever happen to cricket.

Well that begs the question: why didnt hick debut then but 3 years later ?

And yea...he dominated the domestic english scene......but not to the extent Lara did in his season with Warwickshire or the way Tendy dominated Indian FC scene...
    Hick was just the most overrated thing to ever happen to cricket.
    Hick couldnt play for England because he wasnt qualified to at that time (Remember, he is Zimbabwean and played for Zimbabwe in the 1983 World Cup, so I think that may have extended his qualification period..I maybe wrong!!!)

Lara did have a comparible season to Hick big seasons, but Hick actually dominated over such a long period and from such a young age

C_C
    I see...
    perhaps if he debuted earlier he wouldnt have done so badly...but either way.......he was the classic case of a FC bully....like Carl Hooper and Mark Ramprakash.......silken touch, dominator on the domestic scene but just lacked the chutzpah to succeed at the ultimate level.

I see...
    perhaps if he debuted earlier he wouldnt have done so badly...but either way.......he was the classic case of a FC bully....like Carl Hooper and Mark Ramprakash.......silken touch, dominator on the domestic scene but just lacked the chutzpah to succeed at the ultimate level.
    with the benefit of hindsight, yes you are right...but back when he was in his pomp,Hick was seen as a saviour of English test cricket..and for once, there was absolutely no reason to doubt that he wouldnt be..for at that time he could destroy even the best bowlers.Unfortunately, he lacked the self belief(that lack of self belief leaked through to affect his actual technique) to succeed in test cricket (he actually turned out to be a great ODI player)..and I say unfortunately for him, for England and for cricket watchers in general, because I think it denied millions the chance to see someone with as much talent with the bat as someone like Lara.

The amazing thing about Hick is that he is still only 38..he has been around for ever,and if he still has the passion to play, could still be one of the premier county players for another 3 years (even last year he averaged over 60)

Hall of Fame Member honestbharani's Avatar
    I always enjoyed watching him bat. And I always felt he was a decent bowler too. Tall, gets turn and bounce without flighting them too much. He never turned it or bounced it big, but good enough to keep the runs down and get the odd wicket. And he was good at the slips too. Very similar to Carl Hooper, except that Carl was a better bowler.
    We miss you, Fardin. :(. RIP.
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    In the end, I think it's so utterly, incomprehensibly boring. There is so much context behind each innings of cricket that dissecting statistics into these small samples is just worthless. No-one has ever been faced with the same situation in which they come out to bat as someone else. Ever.
    A cricket supporter forever

Member of CW Red and AAAS - Appreciating only the best.

Check out this awesome e-fed:

PWE Efed

Eyes not spreadsheets marc71178's Avatar
    As far as i am concerned he was the most overhyped player EVER to play cricket
    Irfan Pathan...
    marc71178 - President and founding member of AAAS - we don't only appreciate when he does well, but also when he's not quite so good!

Anyone want to join the Society?

Beware the evils of Kit-Kats - they're immoral apparently.

C_C
    Quote Originally Posted by marc71178
    Irfan Pathan...

Not nearly as much Hype as Hick ( afterall, NO ONE has called Irfan the current day Malcolm Marshall and NO ONE said he is better than Wasim Akram like they did with Hick- 'current day Bradman' and 'better than Tendulkar' crap).

But give Irfan 60 tests like Hick and if he has **** poor bowling figures,then he would rank up there as one of the most overhyped...... but passing hick is a nigh impossible job.

Nobody said those things about Hick then if you claim people haven't said them about Pathan.

Bowling tgfg Champion! Carmageddon Champion! Rainman Champion! DTunnel Champion!
    ...and NO ONE said he is better than Wasim Akram like they did with Hick-Bradman...
    haha unfortunately, they have!
    Jesus saves

member of Liverpool FC and Melbourne City

C_C
    Nobody said those things about Hick then if you claim people haven't said them about Pathan.

No..they DID say those things about Hick....I remember his series vs IND around 93 or 94...and the commentators were saying that Hick was a BETTER batsman than than Tendulkar .
    Likewise, during his debut series, i head commentators say that 'he is going to be the next Bradman.....one of the players of this century'.

So quit talkin shyte and trying to cover his tail.

haha unfortunately, they have!
    NOBODY claimed that Irfan is BETTER than Akram or the incarnation of the greatest pace bowler ever(Marshall).

NOBODY claimed that Irfan is BETTER than Akram or the incarnation of the greatest pace bowler ever(Marshall).
    If you continue to claim that than I will claim it wasn't said about Hick.

Bowling tgfg Champion! Carmageddon Champion! Rainman Champion! DTunnel Champion!

sorry mate, but a few members of this forum indeed have said that. or the same sorta thing.

C_C
    If you continue to claim that than I will claim it wasn't said about Hick.

Fans are given to hyperboles....find me an ACTUAL commentator or writer saying that about Irfan.......like they had the audacity to for Hick...afterall,media hype is not what we think, it is what is written IN THE MEDIA.

i know what you meant, but you did say "NO ONE" and "NOBODY".

Page 12 of 23 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Thread Information